• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Brawling Nostalgia (Riven)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Brawling Nostalgia

Since we like to blabber and tattle upon classics and whatnot, I thought of starting an idea of threads, anyone can be a part of or even start one of his own, whenever feels, any title you bring back under the spotlight or even that is bothering someone for being overrated…etc, but with only one consideration; that if there is one ongoing thread let it keep on at least 3-5 days before you start your own.

the main idea of these thread from my pov only; is bringing old titles and see if they hold up until today, or just for the fun it likes even bringing bad titles and start ripping them off thinking what the devs were thinking of Laughing, or most of them all is just to bring an important title and trying to fight it’s nostalgic factors and put them out there naked and how really we feel about them after all those years.

INTRO

what made me think of this is that I ve been watching an old interview with Russel Crowe, at one, when he was telling about his kid when he wanted him to watch the Gladiator together, the kid watched less than 20 mins and was bored to the bones and left to his room.

I think the kid was not be blamed,  even me cant grab meself to watch it today, I d rather watch the Kingdom of Heaven which is holding up much more IMO, there are 40 years old movies that i would watch over n over.

———————-

I start cool, with something that could be the least controversial

RIVEN.

While Riven is the best experience i had with adventure gaming when there was no way for hints or walkthrus it took me 4 months to finish,
... but what am i about to say maybe a bit conflicting to my opening praising statement, honestly i couldn’t since i played upon release 1998 or so, and until today push my self to reply it.

and tho I tried, just to be clear.

i think the beauty of Riven, and what is it about, is to come to understand and discovering alien matters and how i can be learning them; what the hell all those things you come across while you explore the islands mean (and how could be used), and then the beauty strick you a bit by bit when everything starts to make sense, and even more how all those puzzles come far connected the more play, the swinging dooms, the doll game on the desk, the animals you witness all around and sounds you hear..

but here lies the problem with its replaying values, once i start the game again
(replay) all those things all come back to me instantly once i come across, and there is only one thing that left to do is just start following my memory getting over with, and that is not fun.

Tho I am sure it would be fun if i played it with a friend who had never seen it before, it is strange that its the greatest that i can not replay.

but does a good movie that one feels it doesn’t have any rewatch values, make it any lesser, hmm..  i guess not, and it is so dumb to think like this,

I know Sefir loves Riven, so much that he replays it like twice a year, miss ye man,  but does that means he appreciates more than me, hmm, maybe he does after all Laughing
anyway, does it take away anything of its glory and greatness because of its have less values of replay?

enough of that and me, but does Riven really have any nostalgic factors or it is overrated in any sense? that came out when the time was saturated with classic pnC Lucas/Sierra AGs with also the time of DVD emerging, and the evolution of the multimedia and new computing products were then too much and mesmerizing? however, it is, can ye peel of nostalgia of Riven, and dive back into your childhood memories and see how did it really feel back then.
we are niche lovers and that was always what has taken the best of our attention.

ANYWAYS; there are 10s of other matters that can be asked while questioning our nostalgia through any given adventure; how the graphics holding up and it doesn’t matter how shiny they were! but how did they represent the game atmosphere in a way that it is believable, we play pixels adventures today for gods sake, while most of other genres player make fun of it/us, but we have the most fun with many of them as we had had before when they were actually the top-notch tech around, and for me and speaking of myself; i.e Gemini Rue and Blade Runner two similar games from a different era and different everything, they are two games that neither of them exceeds the quality of the other, but if you want to take the argument into the technical department, don’t be my guest, I’ll skedaddle Laughing

P.S: Sorry if the post is long, but sitting home bored now all the time has gotten into me and luckily to my adventure spirit which back to the top again. I won’t want it last though. Tongue Wink

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Riven in realtime 3d project still active but no release date yet.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 21 April 2020 03:15 PM

Riven in realtime 3d project still active but no release date yet.

would that defy nostalgia factors, and make me approach it differently?
well maybe u r right, it might be what I need exactly!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

R I V E N, spells riven guys, the sequel to myst, anyone heard of it? or played, i know there are 5-7 max who had played it all the net/the world, but maybe they can share with us, poor us what a piece o shit it was/is

or wait….., its bc the thread it has to have more than 5 replies at least 1st so yours won’t be very significant or posters will start to rip it out and every single comma or capital letter you misused? right? Riiight

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Don’t know how interesting this will be, since Riven sits at the top of my list of best AG:s of all time, sometimes shared with GK3. Bought and played it on release after having been hooked on adventure games through Myst around 1996 or so. One of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Loved the graphics, the puzzles and setting/premise. Solved it with my own two hands, no cheating whatsoever.

I replay Riven fairly regularly. I replayed it, together with the rest of the series , not many months ago, through ScummVM. I do think it still holds up and how can I consider my favorite game of all time to be overrated? But sure, I guess some of it has to do with nostalgia. The graphics do feel a bit dated and lacks the sparkle that I seem to remember from playing it on my Mac Performa of the 90.s I read some technical explanation of that lacking sparkle (something about a filter the games uses that can’t be emulated on modern soft/hardware). Would really love a sensible remake of Riven, and especially to experience the islands in 3D.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Riven is way up there on my favorites list.  My first playthrough took me hundreds of hours to finish, and since then I have replayed it at least 3 times.  I purposely don’t look at my notes from the first playthough, and I try to vary where I go each time.  Over the years I figured out how to get close to the sunners on the rock without them swimming away, and I found a video of Ghen that I hadn’t seen before.  The last time I played it, I looked for the Easter egg triggers, which meant playing everything out of order, but even just solving the puzzles in more or less the correct sequence is still fun for me, mainly because I don’t always remember the puzzle solutions.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Riven is an amazing game. Actually better than the original. It has aged very well. I played the first three myst games and enjoyed them at the time they were released.

I have Riven on my iPad as well and it is a lovely game to play and it’s graphics hold up well today.

:
Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top