• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Two behind the scenes developer diaries for Beyond a Steel Sky giving an overview of the game and the new mechanics they’re introducing in the sequel. Charles Cecil calls it their “most ambitious adventure” and says he hopes Beyond a Steel Sky “redefines the adventure genre.”

Also here’s a well written preview for the game by PC Invasion where they break down some of the puzzle design in the game:

“This is an unabashed adventure game,” Cecil said while demonstrating the game.

There’s a lot of backstory involved with the first puzzle, which actually consists of several puzzles. In short, you need to catch a ride with a trucker to get past the front gates of Union City, but the trucker burned out his battery while waiting out a passing dust storm. The trucker passed the hard-to-replace battery on to a technician to repair, but you discover that the technician is actually a fraud who utterly destroyed it instead of fixing it. So, in the typical adventure game fashion, you have to get creative in finding him a replacement.

This includes manipulating scavenger birds called gang-gangs, particularly the “thieving gang-gang” to get a needed tool back. By solving a different puzzle earlier, players know that gang-gangs are greedy for food, aggressive, but can be scared off by loud noises. Armed with that knowledge, players have multiple solutions to this problem.

Approaching the bird directly causes it to fly away with the tool. So, Cecil had Foster pull some food from his bag, which caused the gang-gang to give up his ill-gotten loot and follow him around. It also ended up attracting a gaggle of gang-gangs, which followed him around as though he were the Pied Piper.

After picking up the tool, he explained that other solutions included throwing the sausage onto a cliffside, then summoning a hologram to scare it away. Yet another way solution includes throwing the food at an electrified fence. Suffice it to say, things don’t end well for the bird when this happens, but the player still gets the tool.

The point is, players aren’t forced into a solution that might feel nonsensical. They discover the rules that govern each NPC’s behavior and can employ multiple solutions to exploit them. As a result, solutions feel organic and somewhat open-ended.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Gamespot released a 20+ minute gameplay video for Beyond.

Animation wise it needs improvement. Some of Robert’s facial expressions look off while he’s talking but the environments look really nice. I’ll give Revolution the benefit of the doubt that they’re still polishing up the game before release.

Writing wise I enjoyed it, good VA all around. The video shows off some puzzles too, but it looks like whoever played it knew all the solutions beforehand.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Overall, I liked what I saw. But as PlanetX said, the animations do need some refinement, both on movement and facial animations.

Overall, this looks like it’s going to be an interesting game.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Characters texture&lighting; looks so bland.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I hope the fans are the serious like it. I’m not a huge fan to begin with but that 20 minute gameplay demo looks so Bland and I hated the main character’s voice actor, it sounds like any typical run-of-the-mill white dude ever. I’m not impressed at all

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I liked it! Revolution has really good reputation on my books. Have they ever released a bad game? in 30 years… Hmmm.. Like never! Wink It doesnt have to have perfect lip sync. Let`s see the story, puzzles and everything first. This is ambitious project!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

To me a couple of duds. I dont like broken sword 4 and i didnt like in cold blood

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually like the game based on what I have seen so far, true not the very best graphics, but good graphics. I will buy this game when it is released. Revolution has a solid track record with their releases and I don’t expect this game to disappoint.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So, apparently Beyond has been released for Apple Arcade. Anyone with an Apple device tried it yet?

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Yeah, come on everyone! Boot up your apples and lets go! Grin

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I cancelled my Apple Arcade subscription, since I couldn’t find a game that would honestly interest me, beyond excellent Tangle Tower.
Beyond a Steel Sky and Shantae and the Seven Sirens might just convince me to renew my subscription.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Any impressions yet? I can’t find a single review so far. It seems strange for such a “high profile” game.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

TheLongestJourney - 30 June 2020 01:18 AM

Any impressions yet? I can’t find a single review so far. It seems strange for such a “high profile” game.

Here’s one on YouTube:

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TheLongestJourney - 30 June 2020 01:18 AM

It was the same for Shantae and the Seven Sirens. It was exclusive to AA for some time and there were practically no reviews until it landed on PC and other platforms.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I’ve found a couple of Impressions on Facebook im a part of a group for adventure Gamers and a lot of gamers said they hate how it controls.they don’t like the movement. Some had problems with the art Direction. It was only three people talking about it but their Impressions were not very favorable. I was not a huge fan of the first game so I had no plans on getting this anyways

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top