• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

retro review three broken sword 3

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I am playing through broken sword 3 as I continue to do retro reviews and thoughts. I decided to put space quest 6 on hold bc I really wasnt enjoying it much. I am still going through broken sword 3, I am just about to go to Egypt. here are my thoughts so far.

I am really enjoying the game so far. I played it once back on my original xbox when I rented it from blockbuster and I remember liking it a lot, but not remembering much of the puzzles besides moving boxes and I did not remember much of the story either. Broken sword 3 and 4 I only played once, while bs1 and bs2 I have beaten multiple times and bs5 I have beaten twice.

I bought this game on steam, it is on sale right now. I know most folks hate the control scheme, but I am using my xbox 360 game pad and the game works great with it. The game installed fine and runs well. I did have it crash twice on me when I was exiting the save screen however, but a simple restart worked everytime.

Graphics
This game has aged pretty well, Is it as beautiful as bs1 or bs2 oh heck no, but it is still a really good looking game, with some decent animations especially facial animations. the backgrounds could have been a little better, and the environment seems really sparse.

Sound
Wow this might have the best voice acting in any of the broken sword games, I really like the actress who played nico this time around. Rolf Saxon, as always is money as george and the rest of the cast is great to above avg. I really like the irish tv host lol. The music and sound effects are also great.

Story
Wow I forgot just how much the uncharted games borrowed from broken sword especially broken sword 3. Nate is a more athletic version of george but he is the same basic character archetype as george stobbart aka a good guy with a wicked sense of humor. The opening sequence with the plane crash in bs3 is just like the start of uncharted 2, just instead of a plane it is a train in uncharted 2. Anyways I find the story in this one to be really good and engrossing. This game ties bs1 and bs2 together nicely with just enough fan service. I thought revolution went overboard with fan service in bs5. I love how the story ties back to the Templars of bs1 with george actually becoming a knight for them .

Gameplay
I can see why nobody would want to play this game with a keyboard but with a controller it is actually quite fun. This is a true adventure/action game. where most games are action/adventure games where action comes first like tomb raider or uncharted, bs3 still puts the puzzles first, but does have a lot more action peppered in than I remember. I can see why if you are an adventure game purist this might not work for you but as a lover of many different types of genres, I find it to be quite fun. Is there way too many block puzzles, oh heck yes. But there are some really good traditional puzzles thrown in as well.

Overall
Like I said i havent beaten the game yet, but I am really far in and I think this game aged far better than broken sword 4. My list usually goes bs1,bs2,bs5,bs3,bs4 but bs3 might leapfrog bs5, I am not sure yet. Overall a solid 8 to 9 outta 10 so far.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Another great review. Keep it up, they are very good reads.

bs3 might leapfrog bs5

Huh, no. Please replay Broken Sword 5 again.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 24 March 2020 09:53 PM

Another great review. Keep it up, they are very good reads.

bs3 might leapfrog bs5

Huh, no. Please replay Broken Sword 5 again.

Heart

I just did not long ago, the gameplay in bs5 is far better than bs3, however i like the characters especially the villains better in bs3.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I also thought BS3 was better. I can’t remember much about BS5 at all, it seemed like a poor imitation of BS1.

I would like to try BS4 again now I have a controller (it’s unplayable on keyboard IMO). Maybe if it comes up in a community playthrough I will.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 24 March 2020 10:10 PM

I also thought BS3 was better. I can’t remember much about BS5 at all, it seemed like a poor imitation of BS1.

I would like to try BS4 again now I have a controller (it’s unplayable on keyboard IMO). Maybe if it comes up in a community playthrough I will.

Part 1 of bs5 is great part 2 falls apart some.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Just beat bs3 and i really did enjoy my time with it again. Great story good puzzles minus 10 too many block puzzles. My biggest complaint like all broken sword games is the ending is a bit anti climatic, which is sad bc originally this was supposed to be the end of the series. Overall a solid 8.5 outta 10.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I thought it was a lot better than most people gave it credit for when I played it. I’d give it a 7/10. My biggest issue was the sort of “at odds” banter between George and Nico. I’d have preferred if they got along more.

Also it is kinda going through the motions plot wise. It’s the Neo-Templars again and uncovering a grand conspiracy doesn’t have the same sense of intrigue when so much of it is familiar.

But definitely a worthwhile entry for fans of the series and the controls were basically fine imo. Especially for a 3D adventure game of its time. I enjoyed the expanded playable Nico sections quite a bit.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Broken Sword 3 is seriously underrated. I think it’s better than both BS4 and 5, maybe even BS2 (all good games too though). I’ve probably played it three or four times.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Agree with both of yall, i could see some people being turned off, if they had to play with a keyboard.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Nice review. I am one of those people who genuinely think BS3 is a really good game and thought so at the time. I get the pushing boxes thing and that isn’t going to work for everyone but I played it on both PC and PS and didn’t have too much trouble with the controls etc.

Unfortunately I can’t say the same for BS4. I tried to replay it relatively recently (a year or so ago maybe) and I just can’t deal with it. I do have good memories of some of the game, including one simple but lovely piano theme, but there is so much bad to get through.

The stealth bits are ridiculous for me. I didn’t mind sneaking into the castle thing in BS3, but the Palace in BS4 just makes my heart sink like a stone and I didn’t manage to get through it last time. I think I have probably only completed the game once, which is a lot less than any other BS game.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Intense Degree - 31 March 2020 11:32 AM

Nice review. I am one of those people who genuinely think BS3 is a really good game and thought so at the time. I get the pushing boxes thing and that isn’t going to work for everyone but I played it on both PC and PS and didn’t have too much trouble with the controls etc.

Unfortunately I can’t say the same for BS4. I tried to replay it relatively recently (a year or so ago maybe) and I just can’t deal with it. I do have good memories of some of the game, including one simple but lovely piano theme, but there is so much bad to get through.

The stealth bits are ridiculous for me. I didn’t mind sneaking into the castle thing in BS3, but the Palace in BS4 just makes my heart sink like a stone and I didn’t manage to get through it last time. I think I have probably only completed the game once, which is a lot less than any other BS game.

I have played through BS4 a few times and think it’s a pretty good game. The worst in the series, yes, but still enjoyable. The only part that really bothers me (apart from the poor p&c controls) are the timed hacking puzzles, especially the one involving disarming a bomb. Really poor game design.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also found BS4 to be a good play. Not the best in the series, but still fun. The ending was a little abrupt however.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Not a fan of bs4 really at all. The graphics and controls are poor to me and the story was far better told in an Indiana jones movie. Its like a 5/10 for me. But all other games in the franchise are at least 8/10 for me.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

BS3 got a lot of flack from critics. But like others in this thread I actually enjoyed it a lot. BS5 for me delivered as well, really enjoyed the artstyle, mythology and locations you visit. Puzzles were a bit too easy though. Never played BS4 since I have heard that game ends pretty abruptly or just has a real bad ending, which steered me away.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Never played BS4 since I have heard that game ends pretty abruptly or just has a real bad ending, which steered me away.

Completely true. The ending came out of nowhere and surprised me. No epilogue like BS5 had. The ending left a few questions unanswered that I had. The ending of BS5 was so much better.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top