• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

another retro review this time space quest 6

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Spinal Frontier was a troubled project. It was originally designed by Josh Mendel, but after he left the project, Sierra brought in Scott Murphy to finish the incomplete game in a tight time frame. The final game is basically cobbled up from unfinished bits and pieces Josh left behind, Murphy trying to make something coherent about it.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think Josh might have a different take on this. The bits and pieces left by Josh were not left for someone else to cobble together. They were design fragments left behind by Josh when Sierra fired him. To imply that this was somehow his fault is totally wrong.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 March 2020 09:31 AM

I would say that quest for Glory is my favorite series by sierra. I love quest for Glory 1 3 and 4. With my favorite actually being quest for Glory 3 it really made me feel like an adventurer on a Grand Mission traveling from awesome location to awesome location.

I think it’s interesting because QFG 3 is the one in the series that I loathe.  While imported as a mage, the magic duel is definitely one of my favorite events from the whole series, but jezuzkryst I hate the way this game is structured.  I hate how far most of the mid-end game objectives are.  It’s really easy to wander around the wilderness not finding anything or making any progress for weeks at a time.  It’s not clear how things connect or how to find certain screens since there is now a world map unlike previous games in the series.  Being out in the wilderness for so long is just detrimental to the progression of the story because it’s too easy to miss important events.  And even the story as a whole doesn’t fit into the series that well or seem to impact any of the games before it or after it.

QFG 3 was the first time in a QFG game that taking copious notes and using my wits just wasn’t enough.  It didn’t help that I some how ran out of money, and had to farm for cash, which is particularly hard in this game.  To journey all the way out, and beat this game during the last trek, you have to have the cash to stock up on potions or you just won’t have enough magic to defeat all the bosses at the end.  And then in between two separate events near the end of the game, it will not let you back into the town to buy more potions!  ARGH!!!!

And to be fair, I wasn’t able to beat QFG 4 either but only because even though I had found the leshy, and solved all his puzzles, he would not take or give (i don’t remember which) the good humor bar because I had missed the specific day he wanted it.  So I had to start my entire game over from the beginning because if you miss this one-day good humor bar quest, You are in an unwinnable state!  In QFG2, there were multiple days worth of warnings that something important was about to happen, and there was little reason to wander the desert for days.  So missing these game breaking events was a lot less likely.

What were we discussing?  Huh?  WTF is space quest?

Well I guess in response to watching star wars out of order… I would never recommend anyone to watch star wars.  After the first 2, they quickly became a mess.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of star trek where things make repeat appearances, but overall episodes/movies are separate and don’t really provide much greater understanding of the story just because you’ve watched them in series.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Celebreon - 17 March 2020 10:33 PM

And to be fair, I wasn’t able to beat QFG 4 either

Strange, I don’t recall encountering any dead ends in QfG4 (well, apart from bug-related, that is). As for this particular puzzle, the good humor bar was supposed to be given to the jester, not Leshy. I do remember that the jester leaves the town at some point, but I thought this happens only after you return him his sense of humour. I’m also pretty sure you can’t get past the skull at the Baba Yaga’s hut without talking to the jester first and receiving the bar quest from him.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 March 2020 09:31 AM

I would say that quest for Glory is my favorite series by sierra. I love quest for Glory 1 3 and 4. With my favorite actually being quest for Glory 3 it really made me feel like an adventurer on a Grand Mission traveling from awesome location to awesome location.

I think it’s interesting because QFG 3 is the one in the series that I loathe.  While imported as a mage, the magic duel is definitely one of my favorite events from the whole series, but jezuzkryst I hate the way this game is structured.  I hate how far most of the mid-end game objectives are.  It’s really easy to wander around the wilderness not finding anything or making any progress for weeks at a time.  It’s not clear how things connect or how to find certain screens since there is now a world map unlike previous games in the series.  Being out in the wilderness for so long is just detrimental to the progression of the story because it’s too easy to miss important events.  And even the story as a whole doesn’t fit into the series that well or seem to impact any of the games before it or after it.

QFG 3 was the first time in a QFG game that taking copious notes and using my wits just wasn’t enough.  It didn’t help that I some how ran out of money, and had to farm for cash, which is particularly hard in this game.  To journey all the way out, and beat this game during the last trek, you have to have the cash to stock up on potions or you just won’t have enough magic to defeat all the bosses at the end.  And then in between two separate events near the end of the game, it will not let you back into the town to buy more potions!  ARGH!!!!

And to be fair, I wasn’t able to beat QFG 4 either but only because even though I had found the leshy, and solved all his puzzles, he would not take or give (i don’t remember which) the good humor bar because I had missed the specific day he wanted it.  So I had to start my entire game over from the beginning because if you miss this one-day good humor bar quest, You are in an unwinnable state!  In QFG2, there were multiple days worth of warnings that something important was about to happen, and there was little reason to wander the desert for days.  So missing these game breaking events was a lot less likely.

What were we discussing?  Huh?  WTF is space quest?

Well I guess in response to watching star wars out of order… I would never recommend anyone to watch star wars.  After the first 2, they quickly became a mess.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of star trek where things make repeat appearances, but overall episodes/movies are separate and don’t really provide much greater understanding of the story just because you’ve watched them in series.

to be fair it has been a minute since I played qfg3 but I remember being able to get through the game pretty easily, plus I just loved the setting and atmosphere from that game, qfg3 felt really different than all the other adventure games at the time. I think that is one reason I rank it higher than qfg4, bc the setting in qfg4 while fun is not really my cup of tea so to say. Plus qfg4 crashed more times on me than 10 blind drivers at a nascar race lol.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Doom - 18 March 2020 11:59 AM

And to be fair, I wasn’t able to beat QFG 4 either

Strange, I don’t recall encountering any dead ends in QfG4 (well, apart from bug-related, that is). As for this particular puzzle, the good humor bar was supposed to be given to the jester, not Leshy. I do remember that the jester leaves the town at some point, but I thought this happens only after you return him his sense of humour. I’m also pretty sure you can’t get past the skull at the Baba Yaga’s hut without talking to the jester first and receiving the bar quest from him.

OMG I’m such an idiot.

If you miss him that evening then you don’t know where to find him. 

I can’t believe I’m finally unstuck!  Yes!  QFG4 has been my tentative favorite just because of the dark tone, graphics, voice acting etc.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Celeb if you are taking a drift from specifically SQ6 to Sierra games, in general, you might need to give this thread a visit https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1100

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Celebreon - 20 March 2020 09:12 AM

OMG I’m such an idiot.

If you miss him that evening then you don’t know where to find him. 

I can’t believe I’m finally unstuck!  Yes!  QFG4 has been my tentative favorite just because of the dark tone, graphics, voice acting etc.

Glad if this helps! It’s one of my favourites too. During my first play I was also afraid that I might encounter a dead end or a game stopping bug (heard many bad things about it), so I saved early, saved often. Fortunately the late CD version and one of those wonderful fanmade Sierra installers made the quest very enjoyable.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I bought QFG4 when it was brand new, floppy version, and it did indeed have quite a few bugs. None of what I encountered were dead ends, they just mainly crashed the game but after a restart, you usually could get around them. Most of them were patched out in later releases. It was one of the first games I had patch disk stored in the game box.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 21 March 2020 10:31 AM

It was one of the first games I had patch disk stored in the game box.

you stun me with your knowledge sometimes, man

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Finally beat the game after a long break. SQ6 does get better in the 2nd half as far as the story goes, but the puzzle design and pixel hunting is terrible all the way through the game. Plus after all that work, the ending is very meh. Overall a 5.5 to 6/10

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top