• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Another Code R by Cing

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

At some time in the future, cing will have to go into my thread of publish/developers i want to gush about, but for now I just need to talk about the one I’ve never played.
I love trace memory/another code.  I think it’s a beautifully designed game, and even the creative or slightly obtuse puzzles were satisfying to think over and figure out!  I enjoyed playing Again on DS, and I also enjoy parts of hotel dusk room 215, but most of it just makes me angry. (Can’t win ‘em all I guess)

So I need to ask some of you in PAL regions about Another code R on wii. 

I played the original game on the DS, here in US, it’s called Trace memory, and we didn’t get the wii game at all.

What little I know about it is that it includes some characters from the first game, and that’s why I need to play the sequel!

So my questions are, do you recommend this game; is it good; why or why not?

Do you have any recommendations for how I can play this game?  I think my wii will play the disc since I have it soft modded, but I’m not sure.  Will I be able to play this game on a NA wii and NA tv?  I think I’ve only run PAL games from thumb drive before, not from DVD.

I don’t much know about how to order a PAL game to import to USA, maybe you can point me in the right direction?

I don’t suppose you guys have a copy you want to sell?

I definitely recommend the first one, and any time you guys want to talk Trace Memory, or any Cing games really.

Oh wait.  I forgot to ask, are there any CING games you recommend that I have missed?  Let me know!

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Played through Another Code R last summer and it’s one the very best CiNG games. It’s got the great art design, inventive puzzles and that real sense of humanity in the writing that defines CiNG’s best work.

If it had come out a few years later during the first big spike of the genre’s resurgence in 2012, I think it could’ve been a lot better. But regardless it’s an amazing game and one of the most under rated/under appreciated wii games ever made.

If you have a modded Wii I’d just run it on usb loader gx like any other game. That’s how I played it and it worked flawlessly.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I have it and started playing it a few years ago. For some reason I never got more than an hour or so into it. Can’t remember why I didn’t finish it. It felt completely different gameplay wise to Another Code, that much I remember. And I’ve never been a big fan of the Wii controls.

I’ve enjoyed all of the Cing games I’ve played. Really liked Another Code for the Ds and Again was ok (had to import that one from the US). Best of them all imo though was Hotel Dusk and the sequel Last Window. Absolutely loved both of those. What on earth made you angry playing Hotel Dusk??

I think Cing was also behind Glass Rose, something as odd as a whodunnit point & click game for the PS2. I remember liking many things about it, but it did have some really frustrating parts too, like quick time events and some kind of real time element.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

In regards to just running a ROM, yes I’ll probably do that, but I still want to have a physical copy for the collection.  I want to read through the manual and look at the box etc.

You never know, sometimes these games have copy protection or just mixed media puzzles.  Like you can buy a loose cart of professor layton games, but no one does that because there are secrets hidden in the manual that you need to unlock extras in the previous game, next game, and current game.

Veovis: I played this for a few days, and then eventually just put it away, and waited until I was in the mood for an adventure game again.  Understand, I’m pretty new to the genre, and at the time, I had never owned a DS before. 

1st I hate this little brat on the damn stairs at the beginning.  Yeah put together a child’s jigsaw puzzle, that’s what I want to do in this very adult noir-style game. great.  IDK I was just really irked at this first puzzle.  I felt like we got off on a wrong foot.  And it does improve after this.

So a few months to years later, I’m like oh yeah, some one told me this hotel dusk game is great, and I trust their opinion.  I think their recommendation was specifically “My dad has never played a video game in his life, and this one he played to completion.”  Which in my opinion, in the gaming world that’s one of the highest measures of greatness is that a person with no interest in gaming falls in love with it.  I got it back out, and got probably half through the game…

Hyde’s motives and goals are not abundantly clear right at the beginning which works well for the story.  Very Media Res.

Whereas Ashley from another code is very earnest, innocent, inquisitive, yet clever.  Hyde is kind of brooding and jerky, and sexy.  And I love him for it.  The hand drawn style to the animation is beautiful.  I feel like I’m living a graphic novel or even just some noir hallucination.  Also I have a huge crush on Louis Denonno.  What can I say; I have a thing for losers.

The game is not very clear about what events are necessary before progress can be made, and often you just have to wander aimlessly around 3 floors of mostly identical hotel hallway which is not great.

The thing that really made me mad, and the reason it’s one of the few cing games sitting on my shelf that I have not beat, was that there was some dialog tree, that if you choose the wrong thing, you just out right get a game over, and have to load a save.  What the hell, I mean I understand this is an investigation game, and I don’t hate dialog tree puzzles, but I made an honest mistake here.  The game doesn’t do a good job of emphasizing if it was the last thing you said, or something you said to someone a long time ago or what.  I know I tried reloading, and saying different things, but for whatever reason I just felt defeated.  99% of this game seems to have no real peril of losing, and mostly the game just waits for you to see all the right things before you can progress.  I don’t remember there being an outright game over state in other cing games.  But mostly, I don’t understand why it’s here at all.  You don’t die, or really learn what you did wrong, you feel no pressure throughout the rest of the game.  It’s not very like me to give up on a game after one game-over, so I think what happened is that I forgot to save, and lost a lot of progress, or I made a mistake earlier in the game that put me in an unwinnable state later on during this dialog.

I wish more games did this 1st person POV with 2d map navigation though.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This game had a few issues:

The graphics were very sub par for a wii game at this time.

There as no voice acting at all in this game.

Both of these omissions would have been ok if this had been a DS release, which is was not. So, this game was far from a best seller, with mediocre review scores.

I played it and found it to be the most boring game CING ever made.

Now, if you want to play a great CING game, play The Last Window, it is pretty amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

OMG thanks for recommending last window both of you!

I thought it was called “Last window; the secret of Cate West.”  I thought it was a cate west game.

Now I see the mistake I’ve made.  Thanks a ton.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Thats kinda crazy because I loved the graphics in Another Code R and I only played it last year. It’s got a great watercolor aesthetic and impressive touches like the pop-up book location transitions.

It’s probably CiNG’s most emotionally resonant game for me. The only thing I could really ding it for is that the writing is long winded but the same goes for Hotel Dusk and and every CiNG game I’ve played aside from the first Another Code.

This is a really great in depth retrospective that captures my feelings on the game. I think it’s super under rated and I put it up with CiNG’s best.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 21 March 2020 01:22 PM

I thought it was called “Last window; the secret of Cate West.”  I thought it was a cate west game.

What is a cate west game? Sounds intriguing.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

No, no, no. It is The Last Window - the secret of Cape West. Cape West is an apartment building.

Still, get it and write us one of your mega reviews.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Luhr28 - 23 March 2020 08:11 PM
Celebreon - 21 March 2020 01:22 PM

What is a cate west game? Sounds intriguing.

It’s like those really cheap, dime a dozen hidden objects games.  There are a million on the DS and Wii, and they are often lumped in under “adventure games”  But I’ve been burned by that before.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

It’s been so long since I played any of the Cing games, but I do remember enjoying Another Code:R. It suffers a bit from slow pace and bloated dialog, but the puzzles were pretty good from what I recall and makes full use of the wii motion controls.

Some former Cing staff also developed a game called Chase: Cold Case Investigations – Distant Memories for the 3DS but I heard it’s not that good.

Adventure gamer review: https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/31497
Nintendo page: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/chase-cold-case-investigations-distant-memories-3ds/

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Do you know if there is a physical edition of this game?  I’ve searched and searched but no luck!  It looks a lot like previous CiNG games…  I may have to break down and buy it on e-shop or whatever they call it now.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, both the Japanese and PAL versions of Another Code R are physical copies available for sale on eBay for about 20 dollars.

A pretty good price to me actually.

Heart

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Celebreon - 27 March 2020 04:37 AM

Do you know if there is a physical edition of this game?  I’ve searched and searched but no luck!  It looks a lot like previous CiNG games…  I may have to break down and buy it on e-shop or whatever they call it now.

If you’re asking about Chase:Cold Case then no, it’s only available digitally via the 3DS eshop

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

If you’re asking about Chase:Cold Case then no, it’s only available digitally via the 3DS eshop

Sadly, this is completely true. The last CING related game was only released for the 3DS on the Nintendo eshop and it got tepid reviews at best. 

Not a good end for CIng type games.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Yes it makes me sad. 
That’s why I try to support physical releases whenever I can, to kind of show the powers at large that the desire for physical media is still there!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top