• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im not sure if any of yall have head of this game, but they just released a demo on steam and I was wondering if any of yall have played it. I have and would love to discuss my thoughts with other gamers.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It looks cool. Will try it out later.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That does look pretty good. I’ll check it out if I have time.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just tried this demo.

The set-up came too fast and was too short. I feel like it needed more then a couple of sentences from Willy along the lines of “Hi, I’m Willy. Oh, this Sudden and Unexpected Thing just happened, so I’m off to an adventure of a lifetime” in the first 60 seconds. What happened was pretty significant, so zero emotions and a simple “Ok, gonna go do it” seemed really rushed.

It also suffers from what I call “silly p’n'c syndrome” which is when a task can be EASILY performed with surrounding items, but the game makes you find a particular one. Even If I will roll with a pretty absurd very first task Willy has to do (the one that demo is built around), getting a wheel from a wardrobe top when there’s a chair in the room, or refusing to pull the plug out of the bathroom because “I don’t want to get wet” (and god forbid, you’d take off a long-sleeve sweater) - all the stuff like that kind of shows you it’s not an upcoming “Game of the Year”. (Might be wrong here though, next thing you know - it has an Aggie. More power to it)

With that being said, I still ended up with an overall positive impression, just not spectacular one. Also, it has a funky visuals style that works well in the world of the game. Overall, I’d be interested to try it further but I won’t track the first day of release.

Did anyone else had a chance to play the demo?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

DCast - 15 May 2020 10:32 PM

Just tried this demo.

The set-up came too fast and was too short. I feel like it needed more then a couple of sentences from Willy along the lines of “Hi, I’m Willy. Oh, this Sudden and Unexpected Thing just happened, so I’m off to an adventure of a lifetime” in the first 60 seconds. What happened was pretty significant, so zero emotions and a simple “Ok, gonna go do it” seemed really rushed.

It also suffers from what I call “silly p’n'c syndrome” which is when a task can be EASILY performed with surrounding items, but the game makes you find a particular one. Even If I will roll with a pretty absurd very first task Willy has to do (the one that demo is built around), getting a wheel from a wardrobe top when there’s a chair in the room, or refusing to pull the plug out of the bathroom because “I don’t want to get wet” (and god forbid, you’d take off a long-sleeve sweater) - all the stuff like that kind of shows you it’s not an upcoming “Game of the Year”. (Might be wrong here though, next thing you know - it has an Aggie. More power to it)

With that being said, I still ended up with an overall positive impression, just not spectacular one. Also, it has a funky visuals style that works well in the world of the game. Overall, I’d be interested to try it further but I won’t track the first day of release.

Did anyone else had a chance to play the demo?

I agree, i was not very impressed.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I thought it looked like it could be fun.  I didn’t like that all there was in the demo was assembling his bike, but, it had fun puzzles. I wish they would have put more in the demo that I could have seen what bone town had to offer. I personally think that they made a bad choice of what to put in the demo.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I must add my disappointment towards the main content of the demo. If this bicycle building puzzle was what the devs thought was a good portrayal of what is to come, I can give it a hard pass.

It’s a shame really, as I do like how the game looks, but this demo didn’t leave the best impression as a whole.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 18 May 2020 01:18 PM

I must add my disappointment towards the main content of the demo. If this bicycle building puzzle was what the devs thought was a good portrayal of what is to come, I can give it a hard pass.

It’s a shame really, as I do like how the game looks, but this demo didn’t leave the best impression as a whole.

Yep great premise for a story, but i hated the puzzles, and voice acting. Also the animations were wonky. Graphics were great though.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

out now on Gog, was looking forward to it, really.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Played some of the demo (really didnt want to finish it) and I gatta echo the sentiments of most everyone here. I think the intro was going for a short and sweet, monkey island style, “I wanna be a pirate” vibe. But the premise wasn’t simple enough to pull that off.

The puzzles were very contrived as well. It’s a shame because I love the look of the game but I’ve got no desire to play it after the demo.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

On some other forums people have criticised the name of the game, or at least made fun of it. I don’t have much opinion about the game yet, but as far as I can see, the name carries on certain adventure game naming tradition, which just by looking at the game title almost guarantees it’s an adventure game.

“Funny protagonist name” and “something something”.

Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria

And of course games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, although there the naming convention comes from the franchise.

Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town, I see nothing wrong with that?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GateKeeper - 12 August 2020 01:40 AM

Well, it could work as a name for a Leisure Suit Larry-like game.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Well if this game wanted to continue in that fine naming tradition it would have to change the protagonist’s name. Milly Morgan or Willy Worgan?

But seriously, those names are usually the sign of a good adventure game. I really like those two games.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t see any problem with the name for anyone over the age of 12!  Smile

I liked the demo - I found it fun putting the bicycle together so have just bought the whole game.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

On some other forums people have criticised the name of the game, or at least made fun of it. I don’t have much opinion about the game yet, but as far as I can see, the name carries on certain adventure game naming tradition, which just by looking at the game title almost guarantees it’s an adventure game.

“Funny protagonist name” and “something something”.

And of course games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, although there the naming convention comes from the franchise.

Tony Tough….
Don’t remind me.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Just finished.i enjoyed it. The only problem I have is with the dialogue. Worth 17 bucks for sure.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top