• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

another retro review this time space quest 6

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I have owned this game for yrs but only ever played it once when I was a kid. Since work is slow bc of the virus I figured, I would dust it off and play it, and wow this is a really poorly designed game, which is sad bc there is a good game in this hot mess that is screaming to get out.

First off it was very hard to even get it to run, but I finally got it to run and run smoothly at that. For the record im still playing the game, I only just got off the first planet. so first some pros

Pros
The narrator is one of the best things about the game. His deadpan delivery is perfect
The rest of the cast is mediocre to avg. def not the worst voice cast ever
A lot of the jokes and visual gags land.
Death scenes are fun to watch bc the game will let you try again right before the spot you died.

Cons.
I hate the interface and the fact that you got to be right at a character to talk to them.I think graphically the game is kind of ugly, its got some good stuff too, but after just playing the dig and seeing that great alien world, this is a let down.

The puzzles in this game are ridiculously poorly designed and there is literally no sign posting whatsoever on what to do next. You are teleported to the first world with not a clue of what to do. I guess the main goal is to rent a room, but neither the narrator or rodger ever say that in even a throwaway line of dialogue. The game also does a poor job of letting you talk to people, a lot of the time the narrator says he doesnt want to speak to you, So I wondered around aimlessly for hrs not sure of what to do, only to later realize I was suppose to talk to a random dude in a trench coat for no reason. Also the game has a lot of pixel hunting. I managed to fumble my way through the first puzzle with the fake terminator character but after that I went to a walkthrough, and im not sad that I did.

Like I said there are some good jokes and references to both movies like blade runner and video games like my favorite series of all time wing commander, but the experience as a whole has been subpar to say the least. So far the game gets a 5.5/10 for me. I will post more thoughts as I play.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

AS a huge scifi fan, I’ve always had an interest in SQ series, but I somehow put it off until I beat some other series, and then never go to it. 

I seriously expected the last game in the series to be the best or at least, the most refined, especially when we think of similar series, when usually they hit their stride right before the 3d craze.

So may I ask where do you recommend players start in this series? 

My understanding is that this game continues a story from previously, is it necessary to have played previous SQ games to understand or appreciate the story from this one?

I tend to prefer games with text parser commands to games with point and click mechanics because it feels like there are more things I can try, and sometimes the solution just feels more natural giving the text commands than sometimes using the point and click interface can expect you to remember a rarely used verb or action.

Does this series use both point and click and text parser?  And do you think the series uses one better than the other?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 16 March 2020 07:59 PM

AS a huge scifi fan, I’ve always had an interest in SQ series, but I somehow put it off until I beat some other series, and then never go to it. 

I seriously expected the last game in the series to be the best or at least, the most refined, especially when we think of similar series, when usually they hit their stride right before the 3d craze.

My understanding is that this game continues a story from previously, is it necessary to have played previous SQ games to understand or appreciate the story from this one?

I tend to prefer games with text parser commands to games with point and click mechanics because it feels like there are more things I can try, and sometimes the solution just feels more natural giving the text commands than sometimes using the point and click interface can expect you to remember a rarely used verb or action.

Does this series use both point and click and text parser?  And do you think the series uses one better than the other?

I know the earlier games used text parser. I’ve actually only ever played 4, 5 and 6 with 5 being my favorite by far. There is a story that connects them all but it is pretty easy to follow if you have not played the others.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

It depends. There is a continuous story thread running through from 1-6 but if you have an aversion to parser then 5 might be the most accessible in terms of story and gameplay. BUT… and this is a big caveat - 5 has no voice acting, which is one of the best things about the later games.

Personally, 4 is my favorite and that was the first I played. I didn’t find it confusing. I played 1-3 later and thought they were great fun.

About SQ6: when I first played it I thought it sucked. Having played 4 and 5, it was a step down graphically and I thought they went overboard with the puzzle difficulty. However, I agree there is a good game in there and when I revisited it years later I was able to enjoy it more (with a walkthrough in hand). One thing’s for sure, the comedy is still as sharp and witty as ever.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Donuts McGee - 16 March 2020 08:30 PM

It depends. There is a continuous story thread running through from 1-6 but if you have an aversion to parser then 5 might be the most accessible in terms of story and gameplay. BUT… and this is a big caveat - 5 has no voice acting, which is one of the best things about the later games.

Personally, 4 is my favorite and that was the first I played. I didn’t find it confusing. I played 1-3 later and thought they were great fun.

About SQ6: when I first played it I thought it sucked. Having played 4 and 5, it was a step down graphically and I thought they went overboard with the puzzle difficulty. However, I agree there is a good game in there and when I revisited it years later I was able to enjoy it more (with a walkthrough in hand). One thing’s for sure, the comedy is still as sharp and witty as ever.

I want to love sq4 but the death states are over the top, especially in the mall.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Yeah, but it’s Space Quest. I found them hilarious as a kid.

The mall part stands as one of the most iconic adventure game sequences ever.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I agree with everything. I was very excited to play the 6th game, and I really wanted to like it - Gary Owens is awesome, the game is chock full of jokes and gags, I liked the interface, not so much the graphics, but wow, the puzzle design! So clumsy. I spent days running aimlessly through the first location, then finally looked into the walkthrough and was so confused.

And it gets only worse, and so does the story despite some original ideas here and there. In fact it feels like a collection of different episodes, not like one finished game - maybe because the designers changed in the process, maybe because they aimed too much at meta-humor. Space Quest 5 was so much better even without Gary Owens, I still have fond memories of the characters and various moments. Here I can’t recall even a single interesting character, even Roger was kinda meh.

Actually all Space Quest games are quite different from each other, not sure you need to play them in order. SQ1 was kinda simplistic and linear, SQ2 wasn’t spacy at all, more like surviving in a jungle (and dying horrible deaths every 5 minutes). I think SQ3 was the best of three games with the text parser and suits as the introduction as long as you don’t mind parsers. SQ4 was also linear, but so crazy with so many things happening, maybe you need to be ready for it Smile SQ5 is my favourite and I think it’s a perfect start whether you are familiar with the series or not - it has everything the series is famous for, from space voyages and planets to explore to deadly villains, sci-fi parodies and funny (but not frustrating) ways to die.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 16 March 2020 09:26 PM

I agree with everything. I was very excited to play the 6th game, and I really wanted to like it - Gary Owens is awesome, the game is chock full of jokes and gags, I liked the interface, not so much the graphics, but wow, the puzzle design! So clumsy. I spent days running aimlessly through the first location, then finally looked into the walkthrough and was so confused.

And it gets only worse, and so does the story despite some original ideas here and there. In fact it feels like a collection of different episodes, not like one finished game - maybe because the designers changed in the process, maybe because they aimed too much at meta-humor. Space Quest 5 was so much better even without Gary Owens, I still have fond memories of the characters and various moments. Here I can’t recall even a single interesting character, even Roger was kinda meh.

Actually all Space Quest games are quite different from each other, not sure you need to play them in order. SQ1 was kinda simplistic and linear, SQ2 wasn’t spacy at all, more like surviving in a jungle (and dying horrible deaths every 5 minutes). I think SQ3 was the best of three games with the text parser and suits as the introduction as long as you don’t mind parsers. SQ4 was also linear, but so crazy with so many things happening, maybe you need to be ready for it Smile SQ5 is my favourite and I think it’s a perfect start whether you are familiar with the series or not - it has everything the series is famous for, from space voyages and planets to explore to deadly villains, sci-fi parodies and funny (but not frustrating) ways to die.

100 percent agree. Especially the part about 6 feeling like different episodes, first part feels like a bad spoof of blade runner/terminator. 2nd part feels like space quest 5 on the ship. I love exploring the ship. Like i said there is some good stuff in here, but it is surrounded by some piss poor game design.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

space quest is the best series that had been delivered thru the history of adventure gaming.

before you judge the 6th you need to dig deeper to know what was going on at that, i.e like the time when the suits invaded the corridors of Sierra headquarter, and the two guys were each one on his own,  the 6th was supposed to be the 5th and vice versa until one manged with Dynamic to push earlier, and scot wanted out of the 6th and not to be credited..etc blah blah (to start bring on any of this now)... total chaos. its good that we have had seen parts 5 and 6 anyway, i am so grateful.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Wow advie that is bold praise!

As a fellow scifi fan and adventure fan, I’ll have to try them out ASAP.
Since I haven’t played these or blade runner, I suppose I’ve got some gaming to do!

I’m tempted to start with the 3rd one, being the last in the text parser games, and because KQ3 is my favorite of that series (that’s right, I said it), so maybe it will be the same for SQ.

I don’t mind a few deaths.  Or many deaths.  Or uncountable deaths.  Damn sierra.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Doom - 16 March 2020 09:26 PM

Actually all Space Quest games are quite different from each other, not sure you need to play them in order.

Maybe, but there’s a definite story running through them.

And Celebreon, starting with SQ3 would be possible, and you’d understand the story (which starts at the cliffhanger from the end of SQ2), just like someone would understand Star Wars if they started with Return of the Jedi. King’s Quest isn’t like that, the stories are mostly self-contained and separate.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 16 March 2020 10:55 PM

space quest is the best series that had been delivered thru the history of adventure gaming.

before you judge the 6th you need to dig deeper to know what was going on at that, i.e like the time when the suits invaded the corridors of Sierra headquarter, and the two guys were each one on his own,  the 6th was supposed to be the 5th and vice versa until one manged with Dynamic to push earlier, and scot wanted out of the 6th and not to be credited..etc blah blah (to start bring on any of this now)... total chaos. its good that we have had seen parts 5 and 6 anyway, i am so grateful.

Lol uh not to me, space quest is a very avg. Series in videogame adventure history. Only one i really enjoyed was 5. Like i said i beat 6 before when i was a kid and thought meh…. the only parts i really remember is being shrunk and going into a body and surfing the internet highways. My thoughts of the game have not improved with my age.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/16/kings-quest-vi-is-the-proof-we-need-that-all-kings-quest-games-were-awful/

John Walker replayed it recently as well

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Lucien21 - 17 March 2020 02:17 AM

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/16/kings-quest-vi-is-the-proof-we-need-that-all-kings-quest-games-were-awful/

I read the article and while I like king’s quest better than him all his complaints are completely valid to me.

I read the comments and most people are saying quest for Glory is the best series that Sierra ever released, and while I think Gabriel Knight is the best series by sierra. I would say that quest for Glory is my favorite series by sierra. I love quest for Glory 1 3 and 4. With my favorite actually being quest for Glory 3 it really made me feel like an adventurer on a Grand Mission traveling from awesome location to awesome location.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 March 2020 09:31 AM

I read the article and while I like king’s quest better than him all his complaints are completely valid to me.

I read the comments and most people are saying quest for Glory is the best series that Sierra ever released, and while I think Gabriel Knight is the best series by sierra. I would say that quest for Glory is my favorite series by sierra. I love quest for Glory 1 3 and 4. With my favorite actually being quest for Glory 3 it really made me feel like an adventurer on a Grand Mission traveling from awesome location to awesome location.

great you have an opinion of your own, i like that, but why would you think GK is the best of Sierra then? no need to answer just an observation

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 17 March 2020 10:32 AM
Jdawg445 - 17 March 2020 09:31 AM

great you have an opinion of your own, i like that, but why would you think GK is the best of Sierra then? no need to answer just an observation

Because best and favorite mean two different things to me. like my favorite comedy of all time is a 1980s movie called The Burbs starring Tom Hanks but I don’t actually think it’s the greatest comedy of all time even though it’s my personal favorite. two different meanings two different categories at least to me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top