• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Currently Playing

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 10 March 2020 06:22 PM
Jdawg445 - 10 March 2020 02:04 PM

lol no but im currently beating cold steel 3, im on the next to last chapter in that game, Im also going through shadow of the colossus and lamplightcity detective. I plan to beat all three before final fantasy 7 remake comes out. I tried the FF7 demo and I was really impressed with it.

Yeah, I went through all the trouble of beating the ps2 Shadow of colossus, and then when I saw how beautiful it truly was on the ps4, I had to start over!  Still haven’t beaten ico ever, which seems to be a fan favorite around here.

But yeah, xseed and falcom did a great job in hooking us up with the trails of cold steel game!

I’ll attach some pictures of the steel book (full color, not monochrome like most steel books), and even the the comic panels.  These are the extra touches I love to see that make physical media worth owning!

that is awesome, I bought cold steel 1 digitally bc I didnt know if I would like the game or not. Never played the trails in the sky series, but I love the cold steel stories. I got the steel book for cold steel 2 but went back to digital for cold steel 3.

I also never played Ico but I strongly dislike the game they made for ps4 the last guardian. I am enjoying shadow of the colossus a lot though, I believe I am on number 8 colossi.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I will always defend the last guardian because I really enjoy interacting with Trico.  I mean it does a good job in terms of simulating what it’s like to try to get a cat to do the things you want it to do (RAGE!). 

So I ordered Ai The Somnium Files special agent edition for switch, and amazon sent me the package, has the box, art book, sound track, stickers, acrylic figure, but NO GAME!  ARgh.  I called and got a refund, but now I need to buy a new copy so I can play this game.  They let me keep the extras and package and everything, so now I need to wait a few more days for a cartridge to arrive.  I had cleared my whole schedule for this game today T_T

So instead I went and bought call of cthulu on switch, man of medan ps4, deception IV (since I just got Deception 3 on ps1 too), and Danganronpa V3 killing harmony.  What do you guys think I should play today?

Image Attachments

0311201500.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Celebreon - 11 March 2020 07:25 PM

I will always defend the last guardian because I really enjoy interacting with Trico.  I mean it does a good job in terms of simulating what it’s like to try to get a cat to do the things you want it to do (RAGE!). 

So I ordered Ai The Somnium Files special agent edition for switch, and amazon sent me the package, has the box, art book, sound track, stickers, acrylic figure, but NO GAME!  ARgh.  I called and got a refund, but now I need to buy a new copy so I can play this game.  They let me keep the extras and package and everything, so now I need to wait a few more days for a cartridge to arrive.  I had cleared my whole schedule for this game today T_T

So instead I went and bought call of cthulu on switch, man of medan ps4, deception IV (since I just got Deception 3 on ps1 too), and Danganronpa V3 killing harmony.  What do you guys think I should play today?

You have no idea how many times I have almost bought AI the somnium files. I always talk myself out of it for whatever reason. Yeah the Last Guardian just didn’t connect with me. I believe the developers wanted you to believe that trico was like an untrained cat or dog but I think the game was just half-broken personally, and they used that excuse to cover things up. I can’t tell you how many glitches I found in that game

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Playing final fantasy 7 remake and im loving it so far. Im 32 hrs in and really enjoying myself.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2020-03-25

PM

None right now, but the most recent ones I’ve played were League of Legends, Camelot Unchained and Crowfall.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

DustyShinigami - 25 September 2012 07:51 AM
TimovieMan - 24 September 2012 12:23 PM
DustyShinigami - 24 September 2012 09:05 AM

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

I’m at the beginning of the second case…

What did you think of the twist that starts the second case? Tongue

I don’t even remember what happens… I last played it a week or so ago now. Confused

I wish they had a collection with every Ace attorney game ever.  I have the first, trials, justice for all, apollo justice, and the professor layton crossover, but I desperately want the others!  I prefer playing them mostly on DS consoles, but I know they are getting some love on other consoles like PS4 now.  I especially am dying to get my hands on the edgeworth game.  The problem is that I have no tolerance for digital games, and a lot of the later releases or even re releases have been primarily digital.

I got stuck on the second game and never beat it.

But I’ve beat the apollo justice game, the first game, and they layton crossover. 

Anyways I wanted to post to tell you that I just got Trials of Mana in the mail yesterday!!!!

So a little background, I used to play this game with an English fan patch translation back in highschool/college.  Back then I only knew it as Seiken Densetsu III, the sequel to Secret of Mana.

Anyways when I saw collection of Mana was coming to switch, I bought it because, as far as I know, that was the first time Seiken Densetsu III was released in the west with a formal translation.  It’s a pretty good game, but I was disappointed that collection of mana only came with the first 3 games in the series.  Especially with the later games sometimes being more rare/better, like Children of Mana II (I have the first one on ps1, but that sequel is painfully expensive).

Anyways, I purchased Trials of Mana which is a 3d remake of Seiken Densetsu III the day it came out for switch because I was worried about not being able to get a physical copy later on.  I’ve played like 2 hours only of Trials of Mana so far, but I wanted to let you guys know now, in case you were on the fence.  This game is Great!

So far it’s very faithful to the original, although exploring and fighting in the 3d world is a ton of fun because everything just flows very naturally.  I don’t run into invisible walls, they added a jump button to the game, and they slightly changed combat.  In other mana games before III, you had to wait for a bar to fill up so you could attack at full power, or you could do fast weak strikes.  In this game there is a fast attack, a strong attack, and instead of waiting for a bar to fill and not taking action until then, in this game you fill the bar with your regular attacks, and then unleash a super attack.

If you like the mana series, or even the Tales of series, then I recommend this game for sure, if no other reason, than because either collection/Trials has just come to west!  Sadly Trials is not multiplayer like many games in the series.

Trials also features 6 playable characters.  The main PC will determine which story you follow, and as far as I can tell they are very faithful to the original.  Then you pick 2 others to add to your party later as support characters.  I picked the witch as my main, and then healer Charlotte, and a spear woman lady, but I imagine I will probably have a hard time as I have no tank.  I did similar when I was playing it on the collection, but instead of Riesz, I picked the thief guy.

Gorgeous colorful world, voice acting really brings the characters to life.

I don’t think this game will win any awards or anything, but so far this is looking like a great way to pump new life into a forgotten entry in a fantastic A-rpg franchise.  I really hope the next time we see a collection of classic mana games, I hope they fill it with the multiplayer ones!

EDIT:  I have yet to play the Secret of Mana remake, but I noticed it had bad review scores kinda.  Have any of you played it, and do you recommend it?  I thought about getting it for switch or PS4, but I already have the original on my SNES mini classic, and then again on the collection of mana game…?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn. Simply amazing. Contender for GOTY even though it came out in 2018.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn. Simply amazing. Contender for GOTY even though it came out in 2018.

Well, the game did win several Aggie awards in 2018:

Aggie Award winner of
Best Non-Traditional Adventure
Best Gameplay
Readers Choice’ winner of
Best Non-Traditional Adventure
Best Concept

And well earned too. I loved the game also, reminded me of old Mac adventure games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Sure why not, it deserves another round of awards. Like papers please, obra dinn is just so unique. I cant even say I liked every single thing about it, but I can say i’ll always remember it. It really is stunning.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I’m not sure if I want to get Obra Dinn on PS4 or PC?  Any reasons why I would prefer one over the other?

My PC is kind of weak on power, so that might influence my decision, but I don’t buy a lot of digital games on consoles.

I don’t post in the thread often because I play a lot of different games in short bursts, or obsessive bursts, (I got stuck in skyrim, and instead of flipping the table, I decided, you know what Skyrim, I’m just gonna go play oblivion for the third time.  WTF is wrong with me.)

My friend lent… loaned(?), let me borrow, there we go-

My friend let me borrow Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on ps4, and holy cow this game is amazing!  I’m not usually into action-heavy games, but this plays like horizon zero dawn mixed with uncharted, except in uncharted, people take a comedic number of bullets to kill.  In tomb raider it takes like 2.

I can’t believe I passed on this game for so long.  I had played the first 5 a lot when I was growing up, but I can’t honestly say I enjoyed them. They were cool and impressive for the time, but I am NOT a fan of the game design in the Eidos days (i’m actually a fan of that era of 3d gaming, just not tomb raider).

I saw my friend playing one of the new tomb raiders once and it actually looked rad.

I was right, this game is rad.

So my point is:  if you didn’t like old 90’s tomb raider, then maybe you will like modern tomb-raider.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 07 June 2020 10:51 AM

I’m not sure if I want to get Obra Dinn on PS4 or PC?  Any reasons why I would prefer one over the other?

Personally, a game where the large part of the game play is trawling through spreadsheets is not ideal for use with a controller. I’d want to use a mouse. Just something to consider, maybe.

My friend let me borrow Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on ps4, and holy cow this game is amazing!  I’m not usually into action-heavy games, but this plays like horizon zero dawn mixed with uncharted, except in uncharted, people take a comedic number of bullets to kill.  In tomb raider it takes like 2.

I can’t believe I passed on this game for so long.  I had played the first 5 a lot when I was growing up, but I can’t honestly say I enjoyed them. They were cool and impressive for the time, but I am NOT a fan of the game design in the Eidos days (i’m actually a fan of that era of 3d gaming, just not tomb raider).

I saw my friend playing one of the new tomb raiders once and it actually looked rad.

I was right, this game is rad.

So my point is:  if you didn’t like old 90’s tomb raider, then maybe you will like modern tomb-raider.

And vice-versa. I liked (not loved - they had annoying aspects) the old ones, and disliked (not hated - they had enjoyable aspects) the new TR. I only played the first reboot though, not the sequels.

I think my problem with the reboots is the same as with the new Star Trek. They stripped away anything that involved thinking and replaced it with actiony parts. As annoying as the original Tomb Raiders were, there was a sense of achievement from overcoming the obstacles.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-14

PM

I’m currently playing the Bioshock Collection on Nintendo Switch and I’m pretty close to finishing Bioshock 2. What a great port!

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Luhr28 - 08 June 2020 09:30 PM

Personally, a game where the large part of the game play is trawling through spreadsheets is not ideal for use with a controller. I’d want to use a mouse. Just something to consider, maybe.

oh I thought it was like a walking around type of game.

I think my problem with the reboots is the same as with the new Star Trek. They stripped away anything that involved thinking and replaced it with actiony parts. As annoying as the original Tomb Raiders were, there was a sense of achievement from overcoming the obstacles.

We can definitely agree on the new star treks.  They make me sad.

I will say though that even though there are somewhere less puzzles in modern Tomb Raider, there are still a few times where I look around and go, what the hell do I do?

And then I come up with some clever way to proceed, very similar to the original thief games where the player must come up with creative uses of their gear.

To me this modern tomb raider stays enjoyable because the series continue to hide stuff everywhere just like in the classics.

I back track and find all the documents, and all the relics, and all the tombs and GPS caches and maps.

I just love finding all the hidden stuff, and most of the time finding the hidden stuff is easy enough that you can’t miss all of them, but hard enough that you have to really search.

And lastly Tomb raider uses vertical level design in, not entirely novel ways, but incredibly successful ways I think.

@ Markus

So I recently beat Bioshock 1 on ps3, and I’m curious if it’s worth it to play the second one?

The story is pretty good, and the world building is fine, but goodness I died a lot.  And I mean A LOT.

to the point where it was not fun.

I’m not very good at shooter games in general, they are a little too fast paced for me, and all the enemies in bioshock take like a billion bullets.  It’s laughable.  And the marketing material, as well as my friends were telling me about how you get to become a big daddy thing, but it sucks.  In the game the big daddys like can be shot by an entire minigun’s ammo, and barely lose health, and they have this cool drill, and all this stuff, but when you finally become one, nothing really changed but the HUD/perspective stuff.  LAME.

I don’t fully understand the story of bioshock 1, it feels like everyone is trying to use you or backstab you, so you don’t know who to trust, which is somewhat a throw back to xerxes/shodan.  So starting Bioshock 2, I’m just like wtf is going on, and because I already know the twist ending of BS infinite, I don’t even know if I should get invested.

And what makes this so much worse, is with wonderful predecessors like System Shock and SS2, I don’t understand why they went so different as to make a formulaic shooter.

Before the adventure game/RPG/horror/SCIFI/shooter hybrid is what made system shock special.

And the setting of bioshock is beautiful and amazing, but unfortunately all I ever get to see of it is the inside of the resurrection tube and the business end of a drill.

I like to see how long I can live by just using the bees on people.  Not very effective, but funny.

Also, do both endings of Bioshock 1 match with bioshock 2 story?
I harvested all the little girl monsters, and everyone wants me to feel bad about it for some reason, as if the game wasn’t hard enough without the extra XP.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 27 June 2020 04:49 AM
Luhr28 - 08 June 2020 09:30 PM

oh I thought it was like a walking around type of game.

It is. But it’s also flipping through pages of notes and making deductions.

We can definitely agree on the new star treks.  They make me sad.

I will say though that even though there are somewhere less puzzles in modern Tomb Raider, there are still a few times where I look around and go, what the hell do I do?

And then I come up with some clever way to proceed, very similar to the original thief games where the player must come up with creative uses of their gear.

To me this modern tomb raider stays enjoyable because the series continue to hide stuff everywhere just like in the classics.

I back track and find all the documents, and all the relics, and all the tombs and GPS caches and maps.

I just love finding all the hidden stuff, and most of the time finding the hidden stuff is easy enough that you can’t miss all of them, but hard enough that you have to really search.

And lastly Tomb raider uses vertical level design in, not entirely novel ways, but incredibly successful ways I think.

That makes me want to try the sequels. I only played the first one and all I remember is it reminded me of an easier Far Cry game. I never did any backtracking though.

And what makes this so much worse, is with wonderful predecessors like System Shock and SS2, I don’t understand why they went so different as to make a formulaic shooter.

Before the adventure game/RPG/horror/SCIFI/shooter hybrid is what made system shock special.

Yes, yes YES! I’ve been saying this for years. IMO the most overrated game in history.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Luhr28 - 27 June 2020 06:12 AM

Yes, yes YES! I’ve been saying this for years. IMO the most overrated game in history.

I just heard a rumor they are trying to remake system shock, and I am simultaneously excited and apprehensive.  (please don’t mess this one up, please lord)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top