• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner is being remastered

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

“As part of the restoration, Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition will feature updated character models, animations and cutscenes, widescreen resolution support, and keyboard and controller customisation options.”

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-12-all-time-classic-blade-runner-is-being-remastered

I’m sure they’ve seen the community playtrough and decided it’s time to update! Congratulations, guys!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

That sounds awesome I wonder if they’re going to use any of the stuff that’s been restored this last year or so. I’m very excited. Blade Runner is definitely in my top 5 to 10 adventure games of all time.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m guessing the re-release over at GOG has shown there’s genuine demand for the game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

as long they can make its resolution fit for widescreen and do not go Pickering on the gameplay itself then i am more than just happy.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 12 March 2020 12:24 PM

That sounds awesome I wonder if they’re going to use any of the stuff that’s been restored this last year or so. I’m very excited. Blade Runner is definitely in my top 5 to 10 adventure games of all time.

Is it really that good??  I’ve never played it before, but I’m a huge Philip K Dick fan.  I think I stopped playing AG’s inspired by books when discworld nearly sent me over the edge with it’s brutal puzzles.  Or maybe it was seeing the horrifying face of gurney halleck in the Dune game.

Should I wait for the new one to come out or play the GOG retro version first?

When you say “restored” what do you mean??

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Celebreon - 13 March 2020 12:44 AM

Is it really that good??  I’ve never played it before, but I’m a huge Philip K Dick fan.  I think I stopped playing AG’s inspired by books when discworld nearly sent me over the edge with it’s brutal puzzles.  Or maybe it was seeing the horrifying face of gurney halleck in the Dune game.

Without any hyperbole whatsoever, Blade Runner is one of the best point and click adventure games ever made. It’s one of the very few games in its genre I’d also recommend for people who don’t generally like them. Interestingly enough, the game also takes some additional plot points from the book.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 12 March 2020 12:24 PM

Should I wait for the new one to come out or play the GOG retro version first?

When you say “restored” what do you mean??

I love the game but it’s not your typical point-and-click. it’s all investigation and there is no typical inventory puzzles and the game changes every time you play it. one character might be a replicant one-time next game they might not be and it’s all based on the choices you make and the roll of the dice. this game has real choice and consequence unlike Telltale Games.

As far as the restored content part about a year ago a gamer/coder went deep into the code and found a whole bunch of assets that we’re not used in the final game, like stuff the studio was working on but couldn’t get it finished in time before the game shipped. He started pulling the code out and putting those assets and scenes back into the game.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m delighted to see this wonderful game getting an overhaul! Thumbs Up

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 13 March 2020 02:07 AM

Without any hyperbole whatsoever, Blade Runner is one of the best point and click adventure games ever made. It’s one of the very few games in its genre I’d also recommend for people who don’t generally like them. Interestingly enough, the game also takes some additional plot points from the book.

Yeah for me in no to 5 order it goes Full Throttle the Broken Sword series The Gabriel Knight series Blade Runner quest for Glory. Some of these selections are based on Nostalgia and others I still believe are genuinely great

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 March 2020 01:00 PM
tomimt - 13 March 2020 02:07 AM

Yeah for me in no too 5 order, my list goes Full Throttle, the Broken Sword series, The Gabriel Knight series, Blade Runner, and quest for Glory. Some of these selections are based on Nostalgia and others I still believe are genuinely great

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

“It’s true that the original Blade Runner source code was lost,” says Larry Kuperman, head of business development at Nightdive. “We painstakingly reverse-engineered the code, importing it into our own KEX engine, a powerful tool that allows us to do console ports of classic titles, even in the face of quite challenging situations.”

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition will feature a “polished and premium restoration” from Nightdive Studios via the company’s proprietary KEX game engine, which it has used to restore Turok and System Shock for contemporary platforms, among other titles. The game will feature updated character models, animations and cutscenes, as well as widescreen resolution support, keyboard and controller customization and more. The original foreign language translations (which include German, French, Italian and Chinese) of the original game have also been sourced for the Enhanced Edition.

“Blade Runner is still a jaw-dropping achievement on every level, so while we’re using KEX to upgrade the graphics and respectfully elevate the gaming experience in a way you’ve never seen before, we’re still preserving Westwood’s vision and gameplay in all its glory,” says Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick. “While you can enjoy the benefits of playing the game on modern hardware, the game should look and feel not as it was, but as glorious as you remember it being.”

The Alcon-Nightdive partnership was brokered by Joe LeFavi of Genuine Entertainment, who is co-producing Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition alongside Nightdive and Alcon Interactive Group. LeFavi previously produced the companion art book for 2017’s Blade Runner 2049, The Art and Soul of Blade Runner 2049.

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition is expected to launch later this year.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do wonder if they mean they will run the backgrounds and cinematics through a neural network upscaler like Gigapixel (like what I did with my test with GK2 videos

) or if they’ll try to completely re-create the cinematics at least.

I’m not condemning them if they do an uscpale, there are some fantastic results achieved with these modern technologies, as can be seen with the fanmade high-resolution patches for Final Fantasy games and The Longest Journey. The game characters can benefit a lot from being redone in 3D, as the voxel models they used do look a bit blocky, and always have looked, in comparison to the more detailed backgrounds.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

It says game will run on a new engine with updated animations and models,means we can expect much more than Gigapixel upscaler.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It would be expensive to re-create all the cinematics from scratch, so I don’t really expect them to do much more than upscale them. The ingame characters will definitely be redone in 3D, that way they’ll match even more with the backgrounds.

I do know there are some uncompressed versions of the background art floating around, so I do wonder if they’ve managed to get their hands on those. If not, the best scenario with those as well is to upscale and retouch by hand. Remaking all the assets could end up way too expensive.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Not to mention, the code wouldn’t be of much use if they were planning on remaking everything from scratch. I don’t know exactly what “reverse engineered” means with respect to coding but I suspect it just means taking everything as it is in the game and putting it into an engine which can handle a higher standard of graphics.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d guess what they mean with reverse-engineering is the use of existing game logic in their own engine. In many ways, it’s similar to what ScummVM does, so they don’t have to re-code the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top