• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s the worst AG and why?

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

It’s fun to talk about the best things in life!  Well sometimes, you’re only the best of the worst.

I think my pick has to be Corpse Party on 3ds.  While the dialog is enjoyable, the setting and scenes are repetitive, bland, never clear on where you should, go, and have puzzles that are used so sparsely and intermittently that you forget puzzles are even in the game.

Even the hand drawn art is very few and far between.  All the voices are in japanese.  Maybe someone can help me see the good in this game?

I had never seen the anime.  Maybe that would help.

I don’t know why it got published to 3ds because it is freaking terrible, and even more than that, I’m pretty sure there are sequels now.  (WTF WHY?!@?!?)

IF anyone has played the sequels please tell me what you thought, because I would love to play a game like corpse party with more art work, more puzzles, and more varied setting and level design.

Please respond to this thread with your pick for Worst Adventure Game!  I’d love to see if some people genuinely love some of the worst games, and maybe we can learn how to appreciate them in a new light.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have 3 out of the 5 Corpse Party releases. The first one is a small indie game originally done by a team of one for a obscure Japanese computer with virtually no budget.

I myself like the first game and do enjoy small indie games, especially horror ones. This game has a cult following due to its strangeness and outright creepiness.

Not for everyone, that is for sure. The production qualities do get a little better on later releases.

The 3DS port of the first game has many extras if you got a physical release, you should sell it. If you didn’t like the first one, you won’t like the others.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Hard question to answer. The worst game I ever played might be Dracula Resurrection. But I’m sure it’s not the worst game EVER.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

One of the worst adventures I’ve played is Jack Orlando. It has a terrible story, puzzles and it convolutes itself by allowing you to pick up random trash as much as you want. I’m not a huge fan of the Secret Files-series either, which I find overly long and poorly written games with bad puzzle design.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Bolt Riley, A Reggae Adventure

- It consists of four rooms only
- plot never gets really started before the game ends (it’s supposed to have more episodes but they will most likely never be made)
- in the conversation puzzle you need to go through all dialogue branches, but in order to do that you actually need to go through the entire conversation (including door opening animations) every time
- game audio and on-screen texts don’t match all the time
- the game is all about “420” and there’s really no other point
- there is an unusual game mechanic which looks kind of interesting, but it only makes some puzzles more confusing and doesn’t really add anything
- it is advertised as “co-designed by Corey and Lori Cole”, but (AFAIK) their contribution is not included in the (demo) version that is being sold right now
- bugs, glitches, etc.

Another game worth mentioning is an old C64 game Drak which ends up in the game crashing if you try to solve what seems to be the final puzzle…  Gasp

Celebreon - 03 March 2020 05:53 PM

I think my pick has to be Corpse Party on 3ds.
All the voices are in japanese.  Maybe someone can help me see the good in this game?

All the voices in Japanese sounds very good to me?

tomimt - 04 March 2020 02:32 AM

One of the worst adventures I’ve played is Jack Orlando. It has a terrible story, puzzles and it convolutes itself by allowing you to pick up random trash as much as you want.

I actually liked Jack Orlando. The worst part of the game is that if you don’t do what needs to be done at one point, you will end up in a no-win state, which is of course a very traditional thing in adventure games, but not a thing anymore when Jack Orlando was released. And some puzzles are very random. But overall on the scale of “positive vs. negative” my personal opinion about it is positive nonetheless.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

These kind of threads are not very popular, because people have different opinions on one game and might get offended. Nevertheless, I already expressed my feelings towards Post Mortem during the 2018 community playthrough. One of the most annoying adventures for me where everything is a torture: writing, (bad) puzzles, blurry graphics, zero interactivity. The only thing I enjoyed were the cutscenes, but that’s not much.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/02/is-myst-still-one-of-the-worst-games-ever/

Not my opinion

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The worst game I know of is that 1990’s game that fouled up your hard drive when you uninstalled it, so you had to reinstall Windows. I forget what the name of it was.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Okay LOL.  You guys beat me for sure!  At least corpse party didn’t ruin my entire ds.

Thanks Mikekelly for warning me, because like I said before, if the sequels improve the settings and puzzles I would be interested because the dialogue is hilarious!  But I’m not interested in more of the same.  And yeah, while japanese voices are not a problem, I can in fact read, but it just feels like so little was done to port this game, and as has been pointed out, the circumstances in which it made were a little special.

Speaking of Dracula series, there are reviews for most of them over on youtube channel scarfhulu, and they actually look like they could be interesting.  Probably maddening but interesting.

Doom, I think we can disagree without getting offended.  Like, I’m stoked that Mikekelly likes a game I do not like, and has gone on to support other releases in the series.  And if someone here is easily offended, then I would like to introduce you to Ransome the *bleep*in’ insult clown.
(And as far as it being unpopular, I’ve never gotten this much participation on anything I’ve ever posted, see discussion on puzzle design.  And in my defense, I searched the forums before I posted this)

LOL Lucien, so I have always been kind of afraid to say it, but yeah, I hate myst. It feels very lonely, and esoteric.  Which I guess is the point, but I want people I can talk to and use items on!

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

GateKeeper - 04 March 2020 03:10 AM

Bolt Riley, A Reggae Adventure

- the game is all about “420” and there’s really no other point
- there is an unusual game mechanic which looks kind of interesting, but it only makes some puzzles more confusing and doesn’t really add anything
- it is advertised as “co-designed by Corey and Lori Cole”, but (AFAIK) their contribution is not included in the (demo) version that is being sold right now

LOL uhm… A reggae adventure okay.  I too am all about 420, and have no point.

But no seriously I’m disappointed to hear that because I think quest for Glory series by Lori and Corey are some of my favorite games ever, full stop.  (Wait maybe except for QFG3, that game can do one).  And I’ve been trying to keep an eye on them to see what else they will do.  I think they had a hero university game or something planned, that looks like it was trying to leverage their previous success into future success.  But I was apprehensive to say the least.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Celebreon - 04 March 2020 11:29 AM

I think they had a hero university game or something planned, that looks like it was trying to leverage their previous success into future success.  But I was apprehensive to say the least.

You haven’t played Hero-U? That’s surprising, for a Cole fan. It’s really quite a good game if you’re a QFG lover. Some parts can be tedious like the combat, but do check it out.

My choice would be Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture. One of those “walking sim” games where you roam around a deserted town and other people’s houses, which all look identical, going through notes (also identical) with the goal of finding out what happened. The problem is what happened is an utterly boring and silly story, seemingly written by a teenage physics student. A complete waste of a couple of hours.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Question is, is a game that you interest in it immediately a worse game than one you played all the way through because you thought it would somehow get better?

It seems most of the games I’ve played all the way through and didn’t like (Curse of Enchantia, Ripper, Phantasmagoria 2, Harvester, The 11th Hour, etc.) are ones that others will praise as true classics.

So I’ll just list a few games I gave up on before even getting started:

I stopped playing The Adventures of Down Under Dan almost immediately, because it just didn’t interest me. That I can hardly find any reviews of it suggests others may have done the same.

I stopped playing Blue Ice after a few rooms, because although I quite like puzzle games, at least up to a point, this one made no sense at all.

I rage-quit halfway through the first puzzle of Riddle of the Sphinx, because when I started looking up hints it just seemed ridiculous what the game expected me to do. But I’ve read very positive reviews about that one, so who knows…?

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

haha yeah Erik, no rules or guidelines.  I notice that I am more forgiving of games I haven’t finished or can’t beat.  Like I always say I love beneath a steel sky, and maybe I do, but maybe I don’t, I can’t beat some of these sillier more obtuse puzzles. 

For example I have a visual novel game called Psycho Pass, Mandatory Happiness.  And I hate that game because it’s barely a game at all (I don’t have problems with walking sims or even visual novel games, but usually there is some game part to it as well like in corpse party, danganronpa, or 999).  But this game I played for like hours, and I got to make a decision like once, and I don’t think it had any bearing on the story so I just quit.  And to be fair, like maybe I hate it more than corpse party, but at least corpse party had two or three puzzles, and a few dialog options.  Psycho pass doesn’t even have that!  I guess, like you said, I kept telling myself it will get better, so I can’t judge it yet. 

Small aside, really phantasmagoria 2?  It’s the better of the pair i thought.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Grim Fandango

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Lucien21 - 04 March 2020 04:22 AM

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/02/is-myst-still-one-of-the-worst-games-ever/

Not my opinion

Thanks for the link… I hate it.
Also that guy is a pinhead.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Celebreon - 05 March 2020 06:54 AM

Small aside, really phantasmagoria 2?  It’s the better of the pair i thought.

I didn’t really care much for either of them, and it’s been quite some time since I played them. But I do remember finding some puzzles (particularly the first one, and some in the final chapter) head-scratchingly awful. Still, I guess it’s not the worst of the games I mentioned.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top