• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Still Life - laser/robot puzzle

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Has anyone got a saved game immediately after this please that they can send me (and where to save it to - can’t find a saved games folder anywhere) please?
Having damaged hands I’m never going to be able to complete this and, investigating, it appears that people with fully mobile hands have problems enough!

TIA

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Google throws up this which might help?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Intense Degree - 22 November 2012 12:32 PM

Google throws up this which might help?

Ta for the thought ID but I’ve already been there and it either doesn’t download or you need to register (can’t remember which now) and I’ll not register for various paranoid delusions Grin ).

I did find a download of a whole stack of saves (which I’ve got) but it doesn’t tell me what is what so I’ll have to experiment; I don’t mind doing this but I need to know where the save files are which, surprisingly I can’t find.

I had hoped that, because of the many complaints about this puzzle (the one weak part of the whole game so far in my view), someone here would have a save game immediately afterwards and would therefore know where to put it.

Thanks anyway - appreciated.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

I have a saved game if you still want it.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

You can find that save and many others in the Attic at Mystery Manor
http://www.mysterymanor.net/Atticsaves/index.php?act=view&id=152

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

GreyFuss - thanks but as said I’ve downloaded a whole set from somewhere that I can’t remember Smile  but I’ll check it out anyway.

Plumgas - yes please but! Following on from downloading the above saved games I’ve done a search for where they should go but I can’t find anywhere that matches the file name. I did find on the old forums for AG a file path but that doesn’t exist courtesy of my game so I suspect that the Adventure Shop, where I purchased the trilogy, have changed it.
Having said that I doubt that they’d have changed the saved file format so I’ll PM you with an email address. Thumbs Up

Edit!

I should have checked GreyFuss’ link first as it was specifically for that puzzle (me) Pan  so not to worry Plumgas - but thanks again for the offer and ignore the PM.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

If you take into account that the saves in the Attic at Mystery Manor give you a description and a screenshot of what the place where the save is for it is one of the best places for free saves.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

GreyFuss - 27 November 2012 10:17 PM

If you take into account that the saves in the Attic at Mystery Manor give you a description and a screenshot of what the place where the save is for it is one of the best places for free saves.

Indeed and I’ve now gratefully bookmarked it. The only problem I still have is finding where the damn saved games/file path is for Still Life. I’ve never had this problem before. I did find something on the old forums but that path doesn’t exist for me so I emailed the Adventure Shop to see if they’d changed it at all when creating a downloadable version. They’ve responded by telling me that they don’t do in-game support (not what I was asking) and pointing me to Microids instead. Next port of call. What is slightly galling is that I started SL2 which has given me the ending of SL. Oh well. Such is life.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Maybe you could just do a search on your hard disk for any files with the same name (or same file extension) as the saves you’ve downloaded? See if that turns up the new location of the save files.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

harald - 28 November 2012 12:04 PM

Maybe you could just do a search on your hard disk for any files with the same name (or same file extension) as the saves you’ve downloaded? See if that turns up the new location of the save files.

Allready done that Harald. The only ones it found was the set I’d downloaded a couple of days earlier. This does indicate that the Adventure Shop has changed something but we’ll see if I can get any sort of response from Microids.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Found it!

In case anyone else ever has this problem and searches back here for an answer they are stored in:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microids\StillLife\Save\

The above applies to Windows Vista. It may be different on other versions of Windows.

The reason I didn’t find them when I first searched was because the search didn’t include hidden files and folders even though I always unhide these automatically on all my machines.

So. Unhide the hidden folders via the Folders option in Control Panel, navigate as above and if not there do an advanced search for StillLife.Sav from the root of C: ensuring you’ve checked the “search hidden files and folders” option.

Note. Each saved file has it’s own dated folder.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

Jabod - 28 November 2012 03:18 PM

Found it!

In case anyone else ever has this problem and searches back here for an answer they are stored in:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microids\StillLife\Save\

The above applies to Windows Vista. It may be different on other versions of Windows.

The reason I didn’t find them when I first searched was because the search didn’t include hidden files and folders even though I always unhide these automatically on all my machines.

So. Unhide the hidden folders via the Folders option in Control Panel, navigate as above and if not there do an advanced search for StillLife.Sav from the root of C: ensuring you’ve checked the “search hidden files and folders” option.

this is a standard location for most games in win 7 & also win 8.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

plumgas - 28 November 2012 10:04 PM
Jabod - 28 November 2012 03:18 PM

Found it!

this is a standard location for most games in win 7 & also win 8.

I can only speak for Vista here Plumgas but it would appear that there isn’t a consistent place for the saved games to be allocated to. Having had serious PC problems (including only getting sound effects and music - no speech - on SL after installing the saved game) I completely wiped it and rebuilt from the ground up. Re-installed SL but it didn’t see my saved games which were still available at the destination above.
Uninstalled SL and this time deleted the saved games totally for SL and installed again. This time it found the one game save I’d made following my first re-install. Guess what? This time round the saved games folder is now under C:\program files\Microids\StillLife\Save. At least now I’m up and going again Thumbs Up

Posted mainly so that anybody having difficulties in future regarding this might have some guidance should they check here.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top