• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Under the radar

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Relatively new AGs you think have gone unnoticed, you might even come to them by pure chance, as they haven’t had enough coverage, or you just have not heard a single word being said about them by posters or members.

two titles i came across lately by going haphazardly thru the games list trying to figure out games i missed and their nature; i ended downloading them both and i am thru the process of enjoying them as well, now.

Apocalipsis: released 2018, an adventure similar to Machinarium gameplay style, but yet nothing as the latter lightness in its nature; it is a very dark adventure the starts by death or suicide (i haven’t yet figured it out) and thru dead rotten animals, skeletons to witches you are set on a journey in what it seems to be a parallel dark atmosphere kinda depicting what an abandoned afterlife would be.

Awake: Released 2019, is a very short adventure almost 45-60 mins, plays in a Groundhog Day theme, where you are being haunted by a serial killer and eventually (thru gameplaying) you die, them sent to the beginning again and again, and thru trial and error avoiding what have led you to your death, you get to expand the experience, figuring new places and new ways to stay alive.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Of those two, I have another one wishlisted for later purchase, and the other one is actually in my collection, so I have heard about them, but truthfully neither title immediately rang any bells for me when I saw them in this thread.

Anyway, I mentioned in another thread, think it was the poll for the past decade’s best games, there are hundreds of games which are not listed here, or (m)any other places either.

It’s not even that some games are too new, some games just aren’t talked about. Zim Sala Bim was released back in 1984, but you can’t find it in Wikipedia, Mobygames, Adventuregamers database, Pagoda, or almost any other place.
(I have written a review and walkthrough for it though…  Thumbs Up )

So some games just seem to vanish, regardless of whether they are new or old.

It’s a bit sad that it happens, but on the other hand, that way there’s always a chance to find new hidden gems or hidden trash that you haven’t heard about.

And if anyone wants to get a recommendation of a new game that no one talks about, check out Clotilde Soffritti in Never Buy a Used Spaceship. It’s a bit short game, most players probably finish it under 15 minutes, but it’s really a nice little freeware gem, and very recent, released in November 2019.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2377/

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’ve been a bit disappointed by the posts here, on the forum. The more groundbreaking and interesting AGs seem to go unnoticed, while the average, more run-of-the mill games get tons of discussion (and awards).

I won’t mention names - the list of games going under the radar on this forum is just too long.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 16 February 2020 06:53 PM

I’ve been a bit disappointed by the posts here, on the forum. The more groundbreaking and interesting AGs seem to go unnoticed, while the average, more run-of-the mill games get tons of discussion (and awards).

I agree, although you and I probably have different games in mind.

I won’t mention names - the list of games going under the radar on this forum is just too long.

Please DO mention names! A long list makes that even easier. Let’s have a serious discussion.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-02-02

PM

Yes please list off names! I see a lot of repeated titles in recommendations that some hidden gems would be welcome.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 16 February 2020 03:35 PM

Relatively new AGs you think have gone unnoticed, you might even come to them by pure chance, as they haven’t had enough coverage, or you just have not heard a single word being said about them by posters or members.
Apocalipsis: released 2018, an adventure similar to Machinarium gameplay style, but yet nothing as the latter lightness in its nature; it is a very dark adventure the starts by death or suicide (i haven’t yet figured it out) and thru dead rotten animals, skeletons to witches you are set on a journey in what it seems to be a parallel dark atmosphere kinda depicting what an abandoned afterlife would be.

Advie, you obviously missed the ‘unofficial’ playthrough some of us took part in back in 2018:

Apocalipsis playthrough

.....unless you mean the sequel?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yeah Chrissie, Unfortunately, I did miss it

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 16 February 2020 09:35 PM

Please DO mention names! A long list makes that even easier. Let’s have a serious discussion.

It’s long because it includes basically everything. It would be a lot easier to say “anything except Whispers of a Machine and Gibbous”. The games that inexplicably scooped up nearly all the Reader’s Choice awards. If anything else got lengthy discussions I must have missed them.

So if there’s a “radar” here then it seems it only picks up strictly traditional games that could have been released in the early-mid 90s. That’s why it’s impossible to point out hidden gems. Hardly anything is talked about at all.

For comparison, the last episode of Kentucky Route Zero was just released and it has a 2 page thread (for a series that has been going on for almost a decade, and enough talking points to last a lifetime).

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-02-18

PM

Akimbo, it’s old but kinda interesting in my opinion, also this may sound cringey, but I do fancy old school runescape a lot. Especially considering with how easily you can buy old school rs gp nowadays.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

These games are short as a demo,no wonder why they staying under the radar.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would say Argonus and the Gods of Stone fits this category quite well, got a 4.5 out of 5 here but no aggies, etc.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Gabe - 18 February 2020 05:27 AM

That can explain it to some extent, but that’s a very bad reason, if that really is the reason.

It shouldn’t matter if the game lasts only five minutes, as long as it’s a quality game making those five minutes worth spending.

Advertising that a game lasts “X hours” is really a wrong way to sell games, because very often longer playtime means all kinds of unnecessary stuffing. In adventure games it can be backtracking, mazes, and all that stupid stuff, in RTS it can mean building up resources in a boring repetitive pattern, in FPS it can mean searching for additional ammo, etc. Time is being spent, but that’s hardly enjoyable playtime.

Personally I play these days quite a lot of adventure games which take 15-60 minutes to complete. Usually there’s no useless stuffing, and it’s always better to have that feeling “I wish it would have been longer” than “that was way too long”. The same applies for films, concerts, and just about everything.

Stretching playtime doesn’t produce classics like The Longest Journey, you actually must have solid content.

In case someone wants a(nother) recommendation from me, I can only say good things about Sidekick High. It looks good, it’s funny, it’s entertaining, it’s somewhat challenging, it’s even voice acted, and best of all, it’s free!
But the game lasts 60 minutes, either you finish it in that time, or the time runs out, but there’s no attempt to stretch the game and make it boring.
http://cmmn-clrs.itch.io/sidekick-high

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 18 February 2020 01:27 AM
Karlok - 16 February 2020 09:35 PM

It’s long because it includes basically everything. It would be a lot easier to say “anything except Whispers of a Machine and Gibbous”. The games that inexplicably scooped up nearly all the Reader’s Choice awards. If anything else got lengthy discussions I must have missed them.

Oh yes, I agree one hundred percent. I was actually shocked when I read the Readers’ Choices. Whispers won in 7 categories, Gibbous in 6. And 2 categories left for Disco Elysium.

So if there’s a “radar” here then it seems it only picks up strictly traditional games that could have been released in the early-mid 90s. That’s why it’s impossible to point out hidden gems. Hardly anything is talked about at all.

Again, yes. I don’t really know why but forumites and probably AG readers in general have become more conservative, and in-depth discussions are rare. It could be argued that the forums (and the gaming landscape) have changed a lot in the past few years. I see the same thing happening in the Community Playthroughs: people want to replay old classics like BS1 or Shivers or The Lost Crown (which already had a CP!) instead of trying something new. I may be biased and I can’t prove it without going through lots of previous CPs, but the discussions are not very interesting either anymore. I remember great CPs where everybody contributed and had fun.

For comparison, the last episode of Kentucky Route Zero was just released and it has a 2 page thread (for a series that has been going on for almost a decade, and enough talking points to last a lifetime).

I voted for KRZ just now in the CP thread. Join me!

GateKeeper - 18 February 2020 07:32 AM

That can explain it to some extent, but that’s a very bad reason, if that really is the reason.

Yeah? Well, you know, that’s just like… eh… your opinion, man.

Stretching playtime doesn’t produce classics like The Longest Journey, you actually must have solid content.

With its endless conversations about mostly irrelevant stuff, The Longest Journey is actually a good example of “stretching playtime”, as you call it.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Some are, some aren’t.

Eastshade: 15-20 hours
Myha: Return to the Lost Island: 10+ hours
Outer Wilds: 15-20 hours
Disco Elysium 20+ hours
Lorelai: 6 hours
Hypnospace Outlaw: 7-10 hours
Jenny LeClue: 8-10 hours

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 18 February 2020 09:38 AM
GateKeeper - 18 February 2020 07:32 AM

With its endless conversations about mostly irrelevant stuff, The Longest Journey is actually a good example of “stretching playtime”, as you call it.

That’s one way to look at it, I suppose, but personally I almost never find conversations annoying or dragging. Most of the time in conversation puzzles when the right answer is obvious, I choose wrong answers first to see how that conversation tree goes, because in good games even wrong conversations are entertaining. In most games it is possible to fast-click through conversations, so that shouldn’t be a problem, but you really can’t skip a maze and such.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

cyfoyjvx - 18 February 2020 08:42 PM

Some are, some aren’t.

Eastshade: 15-20 hours
Myha: Return to the Lost Island: 10+ hours
Outer Wilds: 15-20 hours
Disco Elysium 20+ hours
Lorelai: 6 hours
Hypnospace Outlaw: 7-10 hours
Jenny LeClue: 8-10 hours

What’s the meaning of these list,these games are award winners,well acclaimed and
runners-up ones..and still under the radar for you!

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top