• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

THE AGGIE AWARDS

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Mikekelly - 07 February 2020 05:22 PM

We did get an AAA release with Life is Strange 2.

You’re right, while it’s fairly cheap, especially the buggy, short and all-around… frugal last episodes, for the adventure games this is what probably passes for AAA nowadays. And it’s important to celebrate the more high profile releases, especially when there are so few, even something as universally bashed as Beyond won an Aggie back in the day. It’s just… disappointing that it got the best drama writing award, something that usually doesn’t and shouldn’t celebrate budget. Sure, maybe its script isn’t the worst thing ever but a weak script that falls into every pit possible isn’t the main strength of the game either, the relatively high budget production is. Even of you like the story and/or characters, it’s very hard to say with a straight face that it has good “writing”.

Otherwise, I actually don’t have many gripes with how the awards were given out, very glad for Outer Wilds and Whispers of a Machine, especially Outer Wilds, certainly didn’t expect it to win the main Aggie and that surprise was a welcome one.

Though, if we decided to count Disco Elysium as an adventure game, I’m a bit shocked it didn’t win anything of note, “best concept” is like saying “well, it’s a very popular game, we had to give it at least something”. The whole concept was dependant on the game’s writing and it only got so popular because that writing was on a level of its own compared to any other game released in 2019. How it could lose writing-wise to something as objectively shoddy as LiS 2 is mind-boggling. But maybe the answer to that is very simple and not many people on the editorial have actually played DE yet. Even its database entry feels barely tacked on for such a popular game, like it flew under the radar right until the very Aggies nominations: no review, no news, no steam button etc. So yeah, if they decided to count it as an adventure game in the very last minute, it would explain a lot.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-12-18

PM

I hope that anyone that liked Whispers of a Machine will play The Samaritan Paradox, which I found was even better.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am just have to do a post Aggie playthrough of Whisper of a Machine to celebrate the wins. I may post that as a thread to see if anyone wants to join me.

With 9 Aggie wins, this game did even better than Kathy Rain, a well loved adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2020-02-02

PM

Thanks to Adventure Gamers for the Silver Aggie for Feria d’Arles!  Heart

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-05-22

PM

mjoe - 08 February 2020 01:32 PM

I hope that anyone that liked Whispers of a Machine will play The Samaritan Paradox, which I found was even better.

Thanks! I’m not sure I agree, but I appreciate the kind words Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I liked The Samaritan Paradox very much!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

So did I. It is a hidden adult gem.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I’d put Life Is Strange squarely in the “AA” category. The devs themselves have said that they aim for the space between indie and AAA. The only AAA studios in the adventure genre I can think of are Quantic Dream and SuperMassive when they were SONY backed. Their production values took a hit with Man of Medan.

In any case I’m happy Whispers of a Machine got a lot of love. The only truly bizarre pick is Life Is Strange 2 for best drama writing. The writing in that game is an absolute mess and the idea that it won over something like Disco Elysium honestly makes no sense.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, how about for AAA we go with:

Man of Medan

For AA we go with:

Life Is Strange 2

The Walking Dead Final Season

Actually, that’s a pretty good year to me. True, lots of indies below that, but they are often excellent. Like Whispers Of A Machine.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Mikekelly - 13 February 2020 06:10 PM

Man of Medan

For AA we go with:

Life Is Strange 2

Actually, that’s a pretty good year to me. True, lots of indies below that, but they are often excellent. Like Whispers Of A Machine.

Heart

I think that’s a fair assessment. I’m probably being too harsh on Man of Medan, the production values are still very high level. You could also throw Blacksad in at AA.

It’s a pretty interesting conversation. I think it’s a good sign that the indie scene is so robust that even without more mainstream entries we can still get games like Whispers, Heaven’s Vault, Gibbous and Irony Curtain.

This year is actually looking decently strong for AA adventures. We’ve got two DontNod releases: Twin Mirror & Tell Me Why. Then there’s Beyond a Steal Sky and Someday You’ll Return.

We’ve also got BigBadWolf working on their Vampire The Masquerade game and Neo-TellTale cooking up The Wolf Among Us 2. More details on Syberia: The World Before should be surfacing soon, too (fingers crossed that its good).

So, yeah, this year the indies held down the fort (and well) but there’s a healthy amount of other titles brewing up.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Man of Medan

For AA we go with:

Life Is Strange 2

Blacksad

Now that’s 4 games in the AAA or AA categories, to me, that is a respectable year. True, we mostly get indies, but the movie industry is the same way.

Heart

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PlanetX - 14 February 2020 02:08 AM

It’s a pretty interesting conversation. I think it’s a good sign that the indie scene is so robust that even without more mainstream entries we can still get games like Whispers, Heaven’s Vault, Gibbous and Irony Curtain.

I would hardly call Irony Curtain an “indie” adventure. While it is Artifex-Mundi‘s first toe dip into the adventure pool, it’s been cranking out high-quality casual games for years. As well as developing and leasing various graphics-enhancement engines such as Spark for years as well. It wouldn’t surprise me if it, Artifex, was better equipped, staffed and funded than several of the AAA teams that seem to be having problems.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m quite happy that Disco Elysium was able to participate as an adventure game (I was planning to open its own thread in the Adventure section but didn’t want to start another “what is an adventure game” discussion). And I’m kind of sad that it didn’t win more awards (at least for writing, which is obvious for anyone that has played the game). The fact that DE got so many awards outside of the AG community is telling me that adventure game developers should start stealing ideas from these guys Smile

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

badlemon - 18 February 2020 09:49 AM

I’m quite happy that Disco Elysium was able to participate as an adventure game (I was planning to open its own thread in the Adventure section but didn’t want to start another “what is an adventure game” discussion). And I’m kind of sad that it didn’t win more awards (at least for writing, which is obvious for anyone that has played the game). The fact that DE got so many awards outside of the AG community is telling me that adventure game developers should start stealing ideas from these guys Smile

I’m quite suprised that DE participated as an ag,although have better gameplay dynamics
than any other adventure,writing might be quite disturbing for average gamers.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top