• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just finished “Agent A: a Puzzle in Disguise” - very charming spy-themed puzzle adventure. Beautiful graphics, puzzles galore (I found them on the easier side but still lots of fun to solve) and TONS of style. Really good few hours of light-hearted, humorous gameplay.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

DCast - 24 January 2020 10:29 AM

Just finished “Agent A: a Puzzle in Disguise”

Hey I just played this too! I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to add that it reminded me of Get Smart.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

SpeedBo - 24 January 2020 12:16 PM

Hey I just played this too! I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to add that it reminded me of Get Smart.

You’re right! I think there’s even a reference in this game to it Smile

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

A Short Hike. I enjoyed it, although it’s definitely not for everyone. Probably the closest thing to Twinsen’s Adventure and Twinsen’s Odyssey since those games came out. In fact I found it a bit odd it showed up here, since those games aren’t often thought of as adventures. The gameplay features a lot of jumping, action mini-games as well as some puzzling.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

GateKeeper - 21 April 2019 05:02 AM

Zim Sala Bim (1984)

Another Commodore 64 adventure game.

This one is so obscure that I wouldn’t be surprised if no one here has ever heard of it.

It is not listed on this site, or any other general adventure game site I’m aware of, you can’t find it on Wikipedia or Mobygames either, and here’s a fun fact: even a couple of the largest abandonware sites don’t seem to have any trace of it!

The parser is actually very interesting in the game, as you can abbreviate commands to two characters. Like GO FO for GO FORWARD and OP DO for OPEN DOOR. Actually the last mentioned has a glitch that you can type only OP D and it opens the door anyway…  Tongue

I coincidentally found two other games that use the very same engine and even seem to have the same glitches in the parser. I can report more about those when I go through them.

A more detailed review is available here:

http://www.adventuredoor.net/reviews/zim-sala-bim/

OK, so it took a bit longer to go through those two games I referred to almost a year ago, but I have done that now. I don’t know the name of the game engine, but obviously they all use the same engine, even the same OP D glitch is in all of them! Thumbs Up

Anyway, the first one (not chronologically) is Drak (1988).

It’s a horror game where your car breaks down in front of a mansion, and then you enter the mansion, and once inside, you have to escape. Now some of you think “why”, which is a good question. There’s really no story to bind the protagonist entering the house and immediately after entering it, trying to escape it. “Drak” is supposed to be like Dracula or something.

Puzzles are kind of logical, it’s just that there’s no story that would give meaning to any of that. There are game-breaking bugs in the game, so if anyone plays the game through and after the final puzzle the game crashes… it’s supposed to be like that. Or maybe not, but you didn’t do anything wrong, that’s what happens…

A more thorough description in my review of Drak, not that anyone cares, presumably.

Another one, and actually best of these three games is Grand Larceny (1984).

It’s a spy story where you have to go into a hotel and find stolen super-computer plans. Actually there are many good ideas in the game. Some puzzles have alternative solutions, which is always nice. An even better idea is that there is only limited time to find those plans, and then leave the hotel. Even finding the plans but failing to escape in time will cause the secret agent protagonist to die.

While the parser is obviously the same as in those two other games, the unique feature is that it is connected to the game-time, and every parser command takes one minute. So the more commands you input, the less time you have to solve the case.

In the end it’s not a very good game although it has great ideas. It suffers from the same thing as Drak, reading the story from the cassette inlay is exciting, but when the game actually begins, the story really doesn’t exist as a narrative anymore. Nothing happens, although in a very different context than nothing happens in Seinfeld.  Crazy

It’s just “find the plans and escape”, and there’s nothing more added to the story. The weirdest thing in the game is that you don’t ever need most items that can be picked up, and don’t need to enter most rooms in the hotel to complete the game the fastest way. Overall it’s somewhat fun game to play, but nothing that special.

And my review of Grand Larceny, if someone wants to know more about it.

I don’t know if anyone is interested in Commodore 64 adventures, maybe they are too obscure for most people, but whenever I finish another one, I can post again.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished Stonewall Penitentiary today. Really enjoyed it, much more than I’d expected. Very good, creepy game, well written. I read the AG review just now and couldn’t help laughing at the comment “graphics are outdated”. I’m sure if the developer had used the even more outdated retro-look of ugly big pixels it would have been praised. Anyway, I didn’t mind the graphics at all even though the character models could have been much better.

One thing I did mind is the cruelty. I couldn’t stand it in the Blackstone Chronicles either. Excessive imo. That film of the eye being removed for instance. Serves no purpose.

Four stars from me.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Had almost forgotten about Stonewall Penitentiary. I played Christopher Brendel’s earlier games, Lifestream and Shady Brook, before they were reworked into hybrid text/graphic adventures. Enjoyed them both. Will definitely give this one a go soon.

For some reason I never really got into The Filmmaker.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 30 January 2020 11:43 AM

Finished Stonewall Penitentiary today. Really enjoyed it, much more than I’d expected. Very good, creepy game, well written. I read the AG review just now and couldn’t help laughing at the comment “graphics are outdated”. I’m sure if the developer had used the even more outdated retro-look of ugly big pixels it would have been praised. Anyway, I didn’t mind the graphics at all even though the character models could have been much better.
Four stars from me.

I loved the game - great story & I truly loved the graphics.
Yes - 4 stars from me also! 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played Milkmaid of the Milky Way. A very cute game. For the amount paid, fun time. Graphics, while low res, were colorful.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished Florence in 40 minutes. Interesting gameplay. Different, which is good in my book. (Well, most of the time.) I’d heard of Florence before, but I hate playing games on the small screen of my iPhone. And then I noticed that publisher Annapurna had made several older games available for PC, so now I can finally play Flower and JourneyCool

I can’t remember the last time I was looking forward to new games by a specific publisher. Developers, yes, but publishers? And now there’s Annapurna. I enjoyed all the adventures they released so far: What Remains of Edith Finch, one of my favorites; Gorogoa, wonderful little puzzle game, Telling Lies, which unfortunately doesn’t sell well. Plus I’m watching Outer Wilds on twitch because it is too demanding for my feeble navigation skills.

Looking forward to the release of 12 Minutes, a game I’m sure I will enjoy very much.  Smile

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Karlok - 20 February 2020 08:16 AM

Plus I’m watching Outer Wilds on twitch because it is too demanding for my feeble navigation skills.

I had the same idea, but not because of the navigation, which I got the hang of after some time.

The part I disliked was having to start over on the home planet every 20 minutes. I really like to take my time exploring and felt too rushed in this game - the sand caves infuriated me. I really think they could have at least extended it to an hour or longer without sacrificing the “Groundhog Day” mechanic.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Karlok - 20 February 2020 08:16 AM

And now there’s Annapurna. I enjoyed all the adventures they released so far: What Remains of Edith Finch, one of my favorites; Gorogoa, wonderful little puzzle game, Telling Lies, which unfortunately doesn’t sell well. Plus I’m watching Outer Wilds on twitch because it is too demanding for my feeble navigation skills.

I fell in love with the story telling of What Remains of Edith Finch!  Which would you recommend I play next?  I want to continue to support them, and both Gorogoa and Telling lies both look really neat.  Gorogoa looks maybe like myst.  Is that even close to correct???

Also I think I most recently beat…Portal and Portal 2 (I just played them back to back)  And I loved it so much I went through the commentary also.

I tried to beat silent hill, but I got to the final boss, and could not beat her.  So I started over, and hopefully by this time next week, Silent Hill will be “The game I just finished!”  Actually I think Silent kind of counts as an adventure game because the inventory object puzzles, logic puzzles, and emphasis on atmosphere and exploration is very similar to mechanics found in adventure games.

Nerd

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just finished “From Beyond: Prologue” - very interesting experience! 8-bit era inspired graphics, lots of reading, retro-interface and the world built around Eldritch-like mythos. Also as a nod to old-school adventures, there are multiple colorful deaths. Puzzles are fairly logical, although heavily pixelated picture makes it hard to find some items/exits…
Overall very good impression. Never played MacVenture games, or Shadowgate for that matter, but I keep reading how this title is heavily inspired by them (just in case someone here is a fan of those games)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Celebreon - 22 February 2020 07:52 PM

I fell in love with the story telling of What Remains of Edith Finch!  Which would you recommend I play next?  I want to continue to support them, and both Gorogoa and Telling lies both look really neat.  Gorogoa looks maybe like myst.  Is that even close to correct???

Oh no, Gorogoa is nothing like Myst. It’s a great puzzle game where you solve problems by moving panels. Novel gameplay. Short but not easy. Telling Lies is a totally different game, but the gameplay is also novel. Both games definitely recommended.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished The Suicide of Rachel Foster yesterday. I’m really tired of pretentious titles to walking sims, like “the vanishing of [him]” or “whatever happened to [her]”. Already the title screams clone and this game (walking sim) indeed tries to be more or less all successful walking sims at the same time, with a little The Shining trown in for good measure. I enjoyed exploring the run down hotel and the atmosphere is really tense. And one of the game’s selling points, the binaural sound, is working really well. But ultimately the writing is pretty “meh” and the whole thing feels rushed. It’s only a few hours long, even though the story for some reason takes place over several days.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top