• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I guess the game didn’t make much of an impression on me. The shortcut is in the “Played Games” folder on my desktop, and the date on the game folder is from January this year. Yet all I can remember about the game is the part where you break into the theatre in the beginning.

If anyone wants another clue as to its identity,
I bought it from GOG, and they don’t sell many HOPA’s.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

if this game was only available on GOG, I will never be able to guess it since it’s not my source of casual games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Grim Legends 3: The Dark City?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 12 December 2019 09:49 PM

if this game was only available on GOG, I will never be able to guess it since it’s not my source of casual games.

Tim - you should have read my last post more carefully as I say that it was in my Steam Library Smile

It’s also available on BigFish Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Phlebas - 13 December 2019 05:50 AM

Grim Legends 3: The Dark City?

Spot on Phlebas.

Here endeth the Casual Games guess the game Tongue

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve not played it, so I don’t feel bad for not recognizing it. But now I have to play it to see what I’ve missed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just been playing Memoirs of Murder: Behind the Scenes. It’s just a regular who-dunnit not so common in this genre. It’s got some interesting puzzles along with a few HO (very easy) scenes + a nice deduction board that turns up to give some credence to the investigative story plot.  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 13 December 2019 06:48 AM

Tim - you should have read my last post more carefully as I say that it was in my Steam Library Smile

Played the demo I got from BFG. I know you played the CE version. Is there anything to recommend the CE over the SE?

As for Steam and GOG, I’ve never purchased a casual game from GOG, and I can count the number of games I’ve bought from Steam on the fingers of one hand. I dislike the latter enough that if that’s the only place to buy a game, I probably won’t be playing it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 13 December 2019 01:15 PM

I’ve just been playing Memoirs of Murder: Behind the Scenes. It’s just a regular who-dunnit not so common in this genre. It’s got some interesting puzzles along with a few HO (very easy) scenes + a nice deduction board that turns up to give some credence to the investigative story plot.  Smile

Thanks for the recommendation, chrissie. Eipix has been doing some good stuff recently. I’ve enjoyed the Vermillion Watch series quite a bit. Particularly the odd mashup of real historical figures and fictional historical figures. Because I have been enjoying Eipix games of late, I was caught off guard by the graphic style of Memoirs of Murder: Behind the Scenes. It’s almost “Saturday Morning Cartoon” style. Not a bad thing. Just odd. That said, I’m going to buy it. I’ve got a bundle of credits waiting to be cashed in.

BTW, if you liked the concept of playing two characters who share inventory, you might like Uncharted Tides - Port Royal. It;s a “pirate” game with some enjoyable dialog and some interesting puzzles. Give the demo a try.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 13 December 2019 04:22 PM

Played the demo I got from BFG. I know you played the CE version. Is there anything to recommend the CE over the SE?

As for Steam and GOG, I’ve never purchased a casual game from GOG, and I can count the number of games I’ve bought from Steam on the fingers of one hand. I dislike the latter enough that if that’s the only place to buy a game, I probably won’t be playing it.

From memory Tim, and I got a bit wrong in my very first precis of the game in the thread so be warned, the extra chapter finishes the story off quite nicely although it could be said to be a typical Casual Game ending and I don’t recall it being very long.

On the buying from Steam against BF then this is, of course, a personal thing - and it took me a long time to buy from Steam - however the game is much cheaper on Steam and you can buy all 3 games there for for not much more than $20 (using a quick mental currency exchange from £18) or less than £7 compared to more than £10 for just The Dark City.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

GOG has a “Hidden Object” category of only 16 games.
gog.com/games?search=Hidden Object

Almost all of them are on sale at the moment.
The Grim Legends games are currently $3.99 each.

The Grim Legends games from GOG are the CE’s.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I bought and played Memoirs of Murder - Behind the Scenes SE. It was quite good. despite the cartoon-like graphic style. Puzzles were fair, although there were two that I skipped because I didn’t understand the stated objective. And I also skipped a few of the tedious puzzles. There were more HO scenes than I expected from chrissie’s description. But they were of sufficient variety that I didn’t get tired of them. Although there were a few example of bad HO design. Example: Whatever you do, don’t put a set of wine glasses and a pair of glasses in the same HO scene. and use the clue “glasses.”

The use of a evidence board was interesting, but it’s not as refined as they were in the Enigmatis games.

Worth the purchase. Thanks, chrissie, for the recommendation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

FWIW re: Memoirs of Murder - Behind the Scenes, I replayed it. I first played it as the male character. The second time I played it as the female character. I expected there to be a different path through the game, but there wasn’t. In fact, as soon as you start the actual game, meeting your nephew, Kevin, at the bus stop, everything reverts to the same gameplay as the first time I played it. Not disappointing, but a little deceptive.

Still an interesting game. 3.5/5 stars.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There is another game is the series, although there are only two games so far, so I’m not sure that equates to a series. Anyway, the game is Memoirs of Murder - Resorting to Revenge. Don’t know whether this is the first or second game. I can say that, while the puzzles are very similar, the graphics are much better. And, I believe the plot/story is much better as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have played the game. I liked it. But to your earlier point as to whether this would be a suitable game for a younger person, I have mixed feelings. The only problem I have is with the “Shield on Shield” mini-games. They are timed puzzles and are difficult. This would be a perfect time for the parent to say “Why don’t we skip this one?”

So, other than what I just mentioned, I think it is a great game to play along with your ten-year-old.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top