• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SpeedBo - 07 October 2019 05:26 PM

Tell the truth, you stopped on the mouse maze puzzle didn’t you?

The mouse maze is easy. Go in the direction the mouse is looking. Just like the Myst maze is easy. And the maze in Stupid Invaders. And the best maze ever in Obsidian.* And all the other mazes with smart solutions.

PS: I loved the Neverhood. Some puzzles were so-so but everything else was great: atmosphere, music, animations, humor.

* oops! best maze ever, but not easy

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 08 October 2019 05:15 AM
SpeedBo - 07 October 2019 05:26 PM

Tell the truth, you stopped on the mouse maze puzzle didn’t you?

The mouse maze is easy. Go in the direction the mouse is looking. Just like the Myst maze is easy. And the maze in Stupid Invaders. And the best maze ever in Obsidian.* And all the other mazes with smart solutions.

PS: I loved the Neverhood. Some puzzles were so-so but everything else was great: atmosphere, music, animations, humor.

* oops! best maze ever, but not easy

But the Myst maze was only easy if you happened to have visited another age first unless I have missed something in my multiple playthroughs. Otherwise the sound clues doesn’t help much, if at all.

For some reason I’ve never played The Neverhood. Will do soon.

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Decay - The Mare
I’m not very sensitive towards jump scares, but this game got me good. It was just a bit short, and the puzzles were no challenge at all. Otherwise, it’s a nice game for an evening, if you’re looking for something to play on Halloween.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

thinker - 07 October 2019 10:22 PM

Neither everyone can be arrogant and condescending. The game has extremely obnoxious mechanics of movement and most of the puzzles are nothing great.
I do not wear nostalgia glasses so I can see clearly through that. Your elitism regarding the history of the game is of no interest to me.

Look, I was being playful with you. I understand that doesn’t always come across through text, but you don’t have to get offended by it either.
Also I have nostalgia for games like Monkey Island, and Commander Keen. Not so much the Neverhood. I didn’t play it til long after its release. I do think it’s one of the good ones, but taste is subjective. And saying you don’t wear nostalgia glasses never makes your thoughts more valid.

I don’t like to ruffle feathers, I just want to have a good time and be relaxed when I’m talking about games(And most other things too!). I’m not here to make enemies, I just want read the latest news & reviews, and play form games.

Back on the subject of the game, I don’t understand why you think the movement is obnoxious. It seems very straight forward to me. The puzzles range from slider puzzle, to pretty good. But really it’s the wacky music and humor, combined with a fun story + memorable characters that makes the it good.

Karlok - 08 October 2019 05:15 AM

The mouse maze is easy….. And all the other mazes with smart solutions.

I totally agree, but that didn’t stop a me and a friend from getting stuck on it. Sometimes it’s just too easy.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished a replay of Obduction yesterday. Decided to play it after replaying all the games in the Myst series. Obduction has many good and some not so good parts, where especially some of the puzzle solving in Maray is tedious and a bit confusing. But essentially a terrific game. It was definitely worth a replay. I understood much better what had been going on and what was about to happen this time around.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes (2011)

Finally decided to play through this sequel to the first (and best in my opinion) Daedalic game. I purchased it back when it was released, but gave up early into the game because it just felt wrong. Decided to play it after all, especially after Advie suggested to include it into the AG’s TOP-100, finished in one sit and left disappointed. I kinda liked the new protagonist and the way she never said anything, but the game was just so average.

The awesome interactivity when you can use everything on everything had gone completely (why?), the story felt forced and silly, puzzles - random and very easy, and the humour… Murdering your schoolmates one after another wasn’t fun at all, especially when you knew what was coming - even if Lilli didn’t realise she was actually killing them. The rest of the game felt like an acid trip, seriously. I especially disliked the unjustified return of old characters and the whole tabletop RPG part (I’m generally not a fan).

The Harvey turn was interesting at first, the final “Harvey battle” felt like a nice turn-based mini-game after all, but those restriction modes didn’t influence the gameplay that much and could’ve been used way better. Enjoyed the ending though - somehow I managed to come up with the 3rd “secret” ending which was the best and funniest of them all (thanks Youtube). But this isn’t the sequel I was hoping for. If the devs were inspired by Simon the Sorcerer 2/3, I think they missed the point - the Brits were much better even at referencing tabletop RPGs.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I played both Edna & Harvey games at last sometime earlier in the year - both I recall were a lot of fun but one was more than the other! In this climate of so many un-challenging games being produced I’m not complaining as both games did the job!  Thumbs Up

I’ve just finished my replay of Culpa Innata after many years following reading B. Barmanbeks’s book just recently (& I know the story is based on yet another author’s book).
The game doesn’t finish the way the book does & actually has a flimsy conclusion that needs the sequel - the book’s a little better.

I loved the game & the non-linearity in investigating a murder mystery set in the strange but kind of familiar futuristic world - the graphics + lip-synching for the time were fantastic & the ‘flow’ was interesting until I missed a puzzle & towards the end I was having to travel around to use up time to get to my investigative bits over & over so from that point of view it was a little clumsy. Otherwise it is a great & very fascinating game the biggest bugbear for me being the control system. Yes, it’s point & click but it could have done with a more free-roaming approach as the interface was difficult & awkward i.e. it was very difficult to get yourself to the area you wanted to get to so very easy to miss any hot-spots! 

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2010-05-14

PM

Finished Adventure Island
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1688

Probably one of the most hardcore adventure games i’ve played in a while AND REALLY FUN(NY)! This game is a homage to the most popular ones (Myst,Monkey,Black Mirror,etc..). Basically you land on an island where you have to find the lost scientists. Each part of the island has a section (Pirates,Amusing Park, Mansion,etc..) where you have to solve puzzles to collect balls. It gets so crazy you even wind up in the past playing a TIME COP (yeah haha).

This game is a 5/5, i never had so much fun deciphering a dwarven language for a safe or playing a Sorceress.

I got a perfect score, it’s only for the endpart.(Advice: Make as much backup saves you have, and definitely for the ENDPART!)

So def check it out,Elen Heart made one hell of a game! Thank you Elen!!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished Jenny LeClue today. I’m glad Harald talked me into giving it another try. Smile Had lots of fun with this cool game once the first few insipid puzzles were behind me and Jenny started doing some serious detective work. The writing and story are very good. The game doesn’t take itself seriously, and it made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Light and very easy (although I did get stuck once or twice, but that’s just me not noticing things). Five stars for the atmosphere: suspenseful and humorous at the same time.

Of course I have a few cons. Far too many puzzles (familiar ones!) were repeated. Breaking barriers and picking locks is fun once or twice, but five times is too much. IMO there is actually a bit too much of everything in this long game: exploration, “casual game” stuff like stickers, the tutorial/introduction, the meta-story of the developer, and I got tired of Jenny calling herself a great detective.  I also wish the player would have a chance to draw their own conclusions instead of Jenny explaining everything that happened or what had to be done. I guess that’s what makes it an adventure lite with many casual ingredients.

Looking forward to the sequel!

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

SamuelGordon - 07 November 2019 04:47 AM

Finished Adventure Island
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1688

Probably one of the most hardcore adventure games i’ve played in a while AND REALLY FUN(NY)! This game is a homage to the most popular ones (Myst,Monkey,Black Mirror,etc..). Basically you land on an island where you have to find the lost scientists. Each part of the island has a section (Pirates,Amusing Park, Mansion,etc..) where you have to solve puzzles to collect balls. It gets so crazy you even wind up in the past playing a TIME COP (yeah haha).

This game is a 5/5, i never had so much fun deciphering a dwarven language for a safe or playing a Sorceress.

I got a perfect score, it’s only for the endpart.(Advice: Make as much backup saves you have, and definitely for the ENDPART!)

So def check it out,Elen Heart made one hell of a game! Thank you Elen!!

It has been years since I’ve played it but I remember I thought it was really good. I loved everything except the end part which I hated. There was one section in the amusement park where I totally sucked at the ride and the ride operator finally gave me a disgusted glance and gave me the prize to get rid of me; I thought that was hilarious.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Stanley Parable

I played it for two hours, didn’t really get the point, so I stopped playing. Since there’s no real ending per se, I guess I finished it…

Deponia Doomsday

This one was the final nail on the Deponia coffin. I’ve never liked the series, because I find the writing and humour horrendous, but this one was the worst, with an endless nonsensical story, and even more tasteless cruelty to all kinds of living beings.
Hated it.

The Room 3

A slightly above average puzzle game, I had fun with it but was a bit disappointed because from what I had heard it was closer to a full fledged game than the first two installments, while in truth I still found it a bit too… casual I guess. Smile

Xing

As a big fan of Talos or Portal or The Witness, I was expecting to like it a lot, but somehow the game didn’t click with me, and certainly didn’t compare with these three games.
The graphics are nice, but the maniability felt off, somehow clunky with dizzying movement (not a problem I normally have with 3D games).
I breezed through most of the puzzles, with a few exception when they felt so hard it became frustrating, with a lot of (clunky) backtracking.
And the story felt like an afterthough, with a bunch of random poetry thrown on it.
I had to make myself finish it, after months of procrastinating.

Tardy

I played it last, and man it felt good.
I loved the story and characters, which aren’t exactly original but still felt right and touching to me, loved the design, which is simple but charming and efficient, and liked the puzzle which were easy but varied.
It’s on the short side, but the three hours I spent on it were great.
I guess I was secretly longing for some quality oldschool sci fy.
A sweet treat. Heart

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 19 November 2019 11:58 AM

Stanley Parable

I played it for two hours, didn’t really get the point, so I stopped playing. Since there’s no real ending per se, I guess I finished it…

Point? What’s the point of playing games? Tongue
It’s about us players and our games. The joke is on us. It’s a sort of parody if you like. Or the naked truth. I loved it. There are many different endings, you must have seen some of them.

Deponia Doomsday

This one was the final nail on the Deponia coffin.

Cry
Best one of the series for me. Seriously. I also liked Xing and the Room games.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 19 November 2019 01:01 PM

Point? What’s the point of playing games? Tongue
It’s about us players and our games. The joke is on us. It’s a sort of parody if you like. Or the naked truth. I loved it. There are many different endings, you must have seen some of them.

I’ve seen at least one ending… which put me back at the start. So not really satisfying.
I guess that’s what I didn’t like, the fact that’s there’s no gratifying aspect to the game, because you can’t beat it, in the sense that there are no puzzles to solve, no story to follow to its completion, no character to emphasize with, etc.
It’s more like a philosophy essay, and I don’t like those even in written form.

Cry
Best one of the series for me. Seriously. I also liked Xing and the Room games.

To be fair, it’s a really meaty game, the puzzles are fine and the production values are still pretty good.
What I really dislike in this game, as in the other three Deponia, is the writing, especially humour-wise.
I think I liked Chaos best, but all the games are mixed up in my mind.  Meh

I liked the Room 3 too, it’s just that it felt “merely” alright. I had fun with it, at least, which was less the case with Xing.

By the way, if the level of dexterity/timing that Xing requires didn’t put you off, it may be worth trying Portal.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I bought Portal when it was released, tried it. But I don’t remember why I didn’t like it enough to continue, so I should give another chance.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I finally played gabriel knight (1). Honestly I didn’t see what the fuss is about.  The scenes were ok, but graphically it wasn’t really impressive to me compared to other sierra games or adventure games in general of the same era. The story got a little interesting, but the voodoo over reaching plot wasn’t mindblowing to me. I realize these are super unpopular opinions, but I just duno. It reminded me of later games in a way, namely farenheit. Maybe the main gripe I had were the puzzles were really obtuse. I know all sierra and adventures of the era back when were that way but ehh I found myself bored figuring things out and just reading a walkthrough pretty much the whole time after this first day or two.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top