• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I can’t make a decision yet.  Yesterday I ran into a problem trying to download the Mac version of Unforseen Incidents, which I bought a while ago from GOG.  They want me to download their game manager, which I would do except that it requires upgrading my computer to OS 10.11, which isn’t available from Apple anymore.  I have to do some more research to see if I can play it.  As for Lighthouse, I have the original disks and have to check to see if my older laptop will allow me to play it.  I hope to be able to sort things out in a couple of days.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lady Kestrel - 12 November 2019 09:52 AM

I can’t make a decision yet.  Yesterday I ran into a problem trying to download the Mac version of Unforseen Incidents, which I bought a while ago from GOG.  They want me to download their game manager

You shouldn’t have to use the game manager to download a game from GOG. Try clicking around to find the direct download. Last time I downloaded from GOG I had to “expand” something to get the download links.

As for Lighthouse, I have the original disks and have to check to see if my older laptop will allow me to play it.

It’s supposed to work in the latest ScummVM, but the files you need from the discs don’t seem to be listed, and it looks like you’d use the generic instructions for SCI2/3
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Datafiles#All_SCI32_.28SCI2.2F3.29_games

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

crabapple - 12 November 2019 10:15 AM

I can’t make a decision yet.  Yesterday I ran into a problem trying to download the Mac version of Unforseen Incidents, which I bought a while ago from GOG.  They want me to download their game manager

You shouldn’t have to use the game manager to download a game from GOG. Try clicking around to find the direct download. Last time I downloaded from GOG I had to “expand” something to get the download links.

From what I can see GOG want you to install using GOG GALAXY & highlight that option.

Below that you have another option to “DOWNLOAD OFFLINE BACKUP GAME INSTALLERS” & I haven’t had any problem downloading games using that link instead.

A couple of years ago I ended up getting rid of GOG GALAXY as it was causing too many problems on my PC at the time. Smile 

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I found the direct download for Unforseen Incidents and even remember using it before.  It’s right under GOG Galaxy [insert head-slap emoji here].  All’s well with playing both games now because Lighthouse will run okay in Classic 9, which I have on an old iMac and a laptop.  The problem is I have to decide which game I want to play more right now.  Since I’ve played Lighthouse twice in the past and most of it is still imprinted on my brain, I think I will vote for Unforseen Incidents this time.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess I’ll vote for Lighthouse. After all, I nominated it and said I would lead. And I would hate to see it die again in second place. But, I’ve not played Unforeseen Incidents. And I plan to join the playthrough if it wins. GO LIGHTHOUSE!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel & rtrooney have chosen - thank you!

Unforeseen Incidents (5) - chrissie (leader), Advie, Pegbiter, mo54, Lady Kestrel
Lighthouse (5) - rtrooney (leader) Doom, crabapple, diego, walas74

We still have a tie.

Anyone else who would like to join in with a playthrough of one of the two games have until Friday 15th (4 pm CET) to vote for it.  Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

If there’s still a tie at the end of voting on Friday I think it’s down to me as the voting host on this occasion to decide the winner.

This puts me in an awkward position as obviously I’m biased towards Unforeseen Incidents so it may be assumed that I will choose that.

But no, after giving it a lot of thought I will reluctantly declare Lighthouse the winner just to let you know. The reason is that Lighthouse has been nominated a few times for past playthroughs & just lost out. 

For Unforeseen Incidents to win it needs to be a clear win so if you want to join a playthrough for this game please vote for it if you haven’t already in the next couple of days.   
  Smile

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

chrissie - 13 November 2019 06:10 AM

If there’s still a tie at the end of voting on Friday I think it’s down to me as the voting host on this occasion to decide the winner.

This puts me in an awkward position as obviously I’m biased towards Unforeseen Incidents so it may be assumed that I will choose that.

But no, after giving it a lot of thought I will reluctantly declare Lighthouse the winner just to let you know. The reason is that Lighthouse has been nominated a few times for past playthroughs & just lost out. 

For Unforeseen Incidents to win it needs to be a clear win so if you want to join a playthrough for this game please vote for it if you haven’t already in the next couple of days.   
  Smile

I completely agree with your choice and your argument

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m not sure I do.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Then don’t do it. It wouldn’t bother me at all if you voted for your own game, just as I did. If it wins, it wins fair and square.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

But it probably won’t be perceived to be fair & square if I’m tallying the votes & it’s just my preference.
I could promote the preference better if I wasn’t personally involved but since I am Lighthouse will be the choice unless the votes for Unforeseen…exceed those for Lighthouse.  Smile

Lighthouse has been nominated a few times so maybe it’s time for it? 

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I will join Unforeseen Incidents as well, seen some of the gameplay, looks good.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego, it’s a tie-breaker - you’re included as one of the voters for Lighthouse so you can’t at this stage vote also for Unforeseen Incidents unless you want to withdraw your vote for Lighthouse.  Smile You can only have one vote for either of the games at this stage.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Were that the rules? I forgot. But I respect the rules. Unforeseen Incidents it is.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Put me in for Unforeseen Incidents as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top