• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In the Love of Roberta Williams

Poll: The biggest hit for Roberta Williams
Total Votes: 94
King’s Quest I: Quest for the Crown
King’s Quest II: Romancing the Throne
King’s Quest III: To Heir Is Human
King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride
Shivers
Laura Bow: The Colonel’s Bequest
Laura Bow in The Dagger of Amon Ra
Phantasmagoria 1

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Pardon the *bump* but I didn’t really find a better thread to ask this:

I’m currently playing King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow. Yes, for the first time. Stop bugging me… Wink
I plan on doing both the short path and the long path, but my question is this: is there a preferred order to do them?
I figure the short path isn’t going to end as well as the long path, so I’m torn between going for the good ending first and then playing the bad ending as “something extra”, or to go for the bad ending first, and ending the game on a more positive note…
Or does it really not matter at all?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I recommend going for the short path first. That’s how I did it. Mainly because…well, the long path, as you might guess, offers a few added chapters to the story that lead to a more fully rounded happy end, the degree of it depending on how much you did everything right. Personally I prefer to end one’s playthrough on the happiest note that can be achieved, don’t you agree? Wink
I wouldn’t say the short path ends badly. There’s a happy end for the couple, definitely, but all the other issues that crop up in the story remain unadressed.

At one point the paths diverge and there’s a point of no return to both of them. Just make sure to save at the right time so you can go back and aim for the long path after you finished the short one!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I agree with ozzie as much as the long path holds more extras of Puzzle and Hidden Items as much as it represent the Sierra’s frustrating famous gameplaying.

imagine this Timo that you reached the end of the story but the game wont end end because somewhere, someone. something you are not finished with yet.

and also look at the year the game came out and now that time back Adventurer were used hardness and difficulties and since this game have been released for almost 20 years now i guess if you took the long path you might not have fun at one point and leave the game unfinished or thinking of restart once again with short path.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 17 November 2012 11:42 AM

and also look at the year the game came out and now that time back Adventurer were used hardness and difficulties and since this game have been released for almost 20 years now i guess if you took the long path you might not have fun at one point and leave the game unfinished or thinking or restart once again with short path.

Not gonna happen in this age of “walkthroughs everywhere”... Wink

Anyway, “short path” first, then.

Kind of like my 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors approach: all the bad endings first, then the necessary ending and only then the good ending. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 17 November 2012 12:04 PM

Not gonna happen in this age of “walkthroughs everywhere”... Wink

i thought you are man of a morality against peeking at walkthroughs Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 17 November 2012 12:08 PM

i thought you are man of a morality against peeking at walkthroughs Tongue

Not if I’m hopelessly stuck (there’s far too many games from the ‘90s that I never finished because I was stuck), and not if there is a possibility of reaching dead ends.
Since Sierra is renowned for its dead ends, I’ll have a walkthrough handy, just in case…

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I suggest not worrying about the short path or long path, and just play along and end up on whichever one you end up on. Smile At a certain point you will solve a puzzle that puts you on one path or the other. It’ll feel more like it did back in the 90s. Grin And of course you can go back and play the other one after (keep lots of saved games so you won’t have to replay too much!)

Have fun! KQ6 will always be one of my favorite games…

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Did you forget Colonel’s Bequest Advie? The Laura Bow series is my favorite from Roberta, and I’m glad to see Dagger of Amon Ra coming 3rd, but like someone said she wasn’t involved much with it. KQIV should have been there too, definitely.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i didn’t forget Zifnab , its the AG poll’s maximum capacity , and i tried to pick (imo) the the most selling hits for Roberta not the Favorites ,but i wished i had the chance to put all R.W Games at this poll Confused

i even contacted Jack and Marek to edit the poll but that option was/is not featured yet. i hear that Marek working is on 80 features for the site.. so all will come in time

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

fov - 17 November 2012 02:44 PM

I suggest not worrying about the short path or long path, and just play along and end up on whichever one you end up on. Smile At a certain point you will solve a puzzle that puts you on one path or the other. It’ll feel more like it did back in the 90s. Grin And of course you can go back and play the other one after (keep lots of saved games so you won’t have to replay too much!)

Have fun! KQ6 will always be one of my favorite games…

Well, the solution for the puzzle that narrows you onto the short path is more obvious than the one for the long path, probably intentionally, which might be the reason why I ended up on the short path first. So, yeah. Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Timo i thought this might be important for you , i was searching the net about KQ6’s Short and Long Paths Difference’s Possibilities and i came though Cassima’s last Dialogue with Alexander, that made me remember vaguely all that there is that would be missed playing the Short.

[spoiler]
Cassima: It’s just too bad that you never avenged my murdered parents( defeat Abdul Alhazred) , or found the stolen treasures of the Green Isles, or uncovered the secrets of the Isle of Mist
Cassima: ...or ended the feud among the island rulers, or captured Alhazred’s genie, or mastered the lost magic of the realm, or defeated the ruler of the Underworld[/spoiler]

note that Cassima’s 1st comment of avenged my murdered parents is surely possible with the short version .

and at Wiki i read about the ending “There are minor variations on the endings of each branch(Path), depending upon which optional tasks the player performs”.

which means (if some can confirm) that you can accomplish all those tasks or some at Short Path but its just a matter of NOT MUST be Done to be able finishing the game.

i which i can remember myself it would had been much easier to approve it.  Frown

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Nah, a lot if not all of those tasks can only be solved on the long path. I’m not sure how much variation the short path ending allows…can’t remember. Confused

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Cross-post from the “Last finished game”-thread:

King’s Quest VI - Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow - 4 / 5

Well well well, a King’s Quest game that I actually like! Tongue
Graphically this is very similar to King’s Quest V, but with slightly better imagination (Chessboard Land and the Realm of the Dead are awesome), and with an opening movie that was ahead of its time at the moment of this game’s release. The intro may look dated now, but it must’ve dropped jaws in 1992.
Gameplay-wise this is a massive improvement over earlier Sierra titles (most likely due to the rise of LucasArts’ influence, and Jane Jensen’s participation): most puzzle solutions make more sense (no more pie-throwing at a Yeti), there are fewer deaths (most notably: taking a wrong step doesn’t mean an insta-kill as often), and there are a lot less dead ends than there used to be. The best example of this is entering the catacombs: if you don’t have all the necessary items yet, then Alexander will say he’s not ready to enter the catacombs yet, which enables the player to get the needed items first. Trying to enter the catacombs a second time (while not yet having all the items) WILL lead to a dead end, but hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day…
The biggest improvement over earlier installments lies in the writing and the story, though. Jane Jensen’s impact is immediately noticeable by having an overall more mature storyline. Sure, there’s still a lot of lovey-dovey stuff (it’s the basis for the game after all), and most deaths are still accompagnied by bad puns, but some storylines are much darker than we’re used to in a King’s Quest game, and those prove to be the best parts of the game. Basically, the more mature the story gets, the better the game is. Needless to say, the absolute best part of this game is featured in the “long path” that can be taken to finish the game - and it’s no coincidence that it’s by far the darkest part of the game.
There are of course still some minor faults with the game. Like I said earlier, dead ends still aren’t eradicated, and there is one sequence in particular that’s excruciatingly frustrating: scaling the Cliffs of Copy Protection Logic. It’s overly long, you’re prone to misclicking and falling to your death, and it takes you entirely out of the story. Fortunately you only have to tolerate this sequence once, and luckily the game’s manual (that is needed to complete the sequence) is pretty well-written. Other than that, KQVI is by far the best game Sierra had made up until that point in time, and it ushered in a less frustrating era of Sierra gaming…
And it’s also one of the very first games to feature a fully voiced song during the end credits, a love ballad titled ‘Girl in the Tower’ (which is an adaptation of Princess Cassima’s theme in the game). And it’s not even a bad love ballad at that…

As a side note: although King Graham only has two lines of spoken dialogue in the game, I’m a bit surprised that they didn’t use Josh Mandel again. (Or did they?)
It didn’t sound like the King Graham of KQV, and Josh was not mentioned in the game’s credits…

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think that anyone who has played Phantasmagoria has seen pieces of this interview.
The fact that it shows, at best, ten minutes of gameplay in what otherwise is a huge game, doesn’t really show us much of anything.

Forgive me for saying so, but the “Lovely” RW looks rather dowdy to me in her flowered print house dress.

Not only was the last post to this thread, prior to your’s, over five months ago, but your resurrection of the thread, with the associated link, does a disservice to the person you seem to idolize.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top