• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 16 May 2019 06:50 PM

E.P.I.C. is still available from Alawar Games. I know some people have had problems with that site but it worked for me at the time.

FWIW: Regardless of the source I think you will have a hard time playing it on a Win10 machine. I installed it and there is a lot of video “chatter” going on, which makes the game unplayable. I did send the BFG diagnostic file to their customer support group. While they did say they would look into the problem, they also sent me a credit for a new game. Not putting words into their mouths, but I doubt they would have sent me a credit if they thought there was a solution.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Bit of a thread resurrection Laughing

I was looking through the current GoG weekly sale and came across True Fear: Forsaken Souls which turned out to be a casual/HOG plus it had a part 2. Having played a few casuals recently I was a little surprised by its darkness (that’s in tone not in palette) so I looked a little harder at it and decided to buy both parts even though I found no comment on it here.
It’s not exactly a breakthrough in storylines as it’s about a letter being delivered late at night purportedly from your sister asking you to go to her house. This follows on from having recurring nightmares. House is, of course, deserted, not been lived in for years, and is pretty derelict.
I’ve only played about an hour so far but, for what it is, it’s pretty impressive. Voiced, decent graphics and logical game progression. You have a choice at the start (which can be changed in-game) for having either HO or “action” screens. By “action” I mean the screen demands that you go through a series of actions within that screen to achieve something. I assume that you’d achieve the same end result if choosing it to be HO. The good thing about the two I’ve played so far is that they are part of the overall game and fit into the story properly. For instance the second one was going through a bureau and eventually ending up with something that you’d find in a bureau perfectly naturally.
It is a horror title but, as it’s a casual, I’m not expecting to die, but I suppose that could happen. There is a jump scare very early on but it’s very clearly signposted so shouldn’t bother anyone who gets filled with trepidation at the idea of same.

Although I’ve only played an hour I decided to post about it here while the sale is on (expires in a shade over 4 days) and it can be found here:

https://www.gog.com/game/true_fear_forsaken_souls

Price for the two is £7.88 (8.89 Euros, 9.83 USD) which, I think, is pretty good value. First game was released in 2016 and the second in 2018.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have not played it, but will play the demo, and will let you know what I think.

The game, or at least part one of the game you describe, is also available at Big Fish. The price you give from GOG is a great price. But it doesn’t beat free if you have any game credits available.

The BFG link is https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/7846/true-fear-forsaken-souls/?pc

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the demo of True Fear: Forsaken Souls. Of the 60 minutes allotted I had 12 minutes left on the clock.

I will be buying the game. I’m impressed with the graphics. Particularly with the 3D character rendering. However, out of the box the game is quite dark. I was pleased to see that the Options menu offered a brightness adjustment, and I took advantage of it. I was a little disappointed that there was no independent voice volume adjustment. When the other volume settings are set the way I prefer, the voice is barely intelligible.

I did not see a way to skip the HO scenes in favor of the alternative you mentioned. Maybe it’s a GOG-only feature. Or maybe it was a feature introduced in the sequel that somehow migrated to Part One. Part Two is also available as a stand alone game on Steam. I didn’t look for in on GOG.

It’s definitely creepy. Kind of reminds me of Scratches. Thanks for the recommendation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

This is what my options screen looks like Tim:

If yours is different then I suspect that Big Fish has an older copy of the game and I’d suggest that you buy both from GoG, particularly while the two games are so cheap. Not the same as free I know but you are getting both games whereas Big Fish only has the one.

I’ll post more later as I’m in a rush right now Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Here is the Options panel on the Demo of the game.

Obviously not the same.

The price has gone up slightly at GOG. Still, it’s less expensive to purchase the twp games individually for $11 US. It would cost $14 US at Big Fish. And even then I couldnt be sure they were the most recent versions.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I bought the GOG duo. But have not had a chance to play with the new options.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I think I might have been the reason you were quoted a slightly higher price Tim as all I did was use the current day’s exchange rate to work out the pricing for Euros and US Dollars.

Having now gone a long way into act 2 I’m going to revise what I said about the “action” screens being well incorporated into the story as they’ve become a little arcane although nowhere near as bad as some I’ve played. The one thing to keep in mind as well is that you get no real guidance within them whatsoever although, personally, I think that it’s no bad thing. You may well have discovered this for yourself by now of course Smile

You’ll also find in Act 2 that you have a much larger area to investigate as you’re taken to a completely different location. 26 different places to be precise.

The image below is from Act 2 and I’ve added it to show what the brightness is like for me on my PC as I didn’t find any problems with it. It might simply be a case of different versions of the game. Which, incidentally, is probably the best of this type of game I’ve played but I haven’t exactly played a great many.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I just bought the two of them from GOG.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thumbs Up

Maybe there’s a flash playthrough here for anyone who isn’t currently playing the AGCPT

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

rtrooney - 21 September 2019 07:55 PM

Thumbs Up

Maybe there’s a flash playthrough here for anyone who isn’t currently playing the AGCPT

Not from me I’m afraid as I’m currently playing the second part (not to be confused with Act 2 in Part 1 Smile ).

Part two is rather more difficult than the first part. I was stuck for some time right at the beginning simply because I hadn’t found something which was both in your face and well hidden. This also happened a bit further into the game as well. It’s not a pixel hunting problem but much more a case of keeping your eyes open. This part is really much more of a crossover between Casual and full blown adventure games and could even be considered the latter. This time there are no HO scenes at all. The developers have gone for the “action” screens instead and they work very well.

Now for the downside and why I wouldn’t consider it the game for any sort of CPT. The game is a trilogy and there’s no information yet on when, or if, Part 3 will be released. It would appear that finance is a problem. Sad really as there’s pretty much universal praise for the games on GoG, Steam and Big Fish (as well as from myself).

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As I said, I’ve never heard of the game before. But I understand your concerns about the CCPT value of the game. Nevertheless, when we played the Drawn trilogy, the games were played back to back. Because the trilogy was complete before we played the first game. Not so when we played the Enigmatis trilogy. We played the first two games, and then, I think, we waited two years before the third, and final game of the trilogy was released.

So, I’m not absolutely sure we would need to wait until the third game is released in order to consider a playthrough.

In fact, I think we could play game one as a flash playthrough, and not even worry about game two until there is another lull in the AGCPT. By that time game three may be available. Who knows?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I take your point Tim but I still wouldn’t join in as I’ve only just finished Part 1. I don’t think it will be a “flash” playthrough as it’s quite a large game but that doesn’t debar it from a playthrough of course.

As to Part 2. That will be a long playthrough for certain, should it happen. I’m into Act 2 now and in this Act there are 64 separate locations to deal with. Can’t remember Act 1 but there must have been 10 locations there as well.

This isn’t designed to put off a CPT of any sort; in fact anything that encourages people to play is a good thing in my book as I’m finding it an excellent game. Creepy, as you said, with the occasional jump scare, but also a good and consistent story line with well integrated puzzles that do require some lateral thinking. I’ve already said elsewhere how good I thought Enigmatis was but this is on a much higher level.

I will pass on a general warning though. Given the scale of the game I’d be surprised if anyone didn’t use the map feature which not only tells you where actions exist but, unlike Enigmatis, you fast jump between locations so no unnecessary and time consuming navigating between locations. However, some locations have small side locations which don’t feature separately so if you forget that you may be spending some considerable time in the wrong place trying to work out what the hell you can be doing there. Me? Do that? What ever gives you that idea!  Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’ve now finished part 2 and I found it an altogether excellent game.

Firstly Part 2 is MUCH more an adventure game but with casual game overtones. There’s some serious thinking needed along the way - at least for me Smile

Secondly it ends on a bloody cliffhanger! As said earlier no Part 3 in sight.

Thirdly, although it intimates there’s a bonus chapter there actually isn’t. It is explained if you click on the bonus chapter at the start screen but, naturally, I only did this once Part 2 itself was completed. It explains there that there would be 2 bonus chapters but one was included in the actual game itself which made it a much larger game (and it is a large game) and the second included several important sub-plots that they couldn’t fit in which, presumably, will be in Part 3 if it ever comes to fruition.

If the finance was available what I’d suggest is completely rework Part 1 as an adventure game (I think Goblinz did this to an extent by giving the option of HO or “action” screens which was obviously added after the original release), take away the casual game bits in Part 2 like finding inventory items in really stupid places and pushing the game as full blooded adventure game.

Even in its current state I whole heartedly recommend that people try it out as it stands in its own right and is comfortably the best “casual” game I’ve played by a country mile.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

After getting the Parts One and Two from GOG, I finally got around to playing Part One. I totally agree that the GOG version is an update from the version available at BFG.

I am playing in action v. hidden object mode. Although I think “action” is a bit misleading. Also, it’s still a HO scene. Just not a random list HO scene. The Spark Engine from Artifex Mundi allows for this type of HO “action”. E.g. find nail file to open drawer to find key in drawer and use it to open jewelry box to find ring to put on mannequin’s hand, etc. It would not surprise me at all to find out that the Artifex engine was used by these developers.

Great game so far. Looking forward to starting Part Two. Although hearing that it’s a three-part game with no guarantee that there will ever be a Part Three is more than a little disappointing.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top