• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2019-09-14

PM

Just Finished Whisper of a Machine

Not interested in genre, btw this old-styled yet pure and soft electro-music just awesome

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Replaying the Myst series atm and just finished URU: The Complete Chronicles. According to GOG Galaxy I spent 28 hours (!) with the game. Had forgotten most of the puzzle solutions and really tried to make it through without a walkthrough this time. But two of the puzzles in the Kadish Tolesha age in the main game and a couple in The Path of the Shell defeated me again. Those in Kadish Tolesha didn’t make sense even after solving them with a walkthrough. What WERE they thinking…:)

Any fans of URU here? Apart from a few questionable puzzle design choices I really like it.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Veovis - 17 September 2019 03:57 PM

Any fans of URU here? Apart from a few questionable puzzle design choices I really like it.

Uru is one of my favorite games.
If the online version at https://mystonline.com/en/
is still available, I’d recommend playing that too for the extra Ages that weren’t in the offline version. K’Veer and running through Minkata at night were especially interesting.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Thanks. I was never into the online/multiplayer thing about URU, but I may check it out before moving on to Myst V.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Played URU a long time ago and still remember and miss the ambience, the immersive worlds. But even then it was obvious that the grandiose scheme Cyan had had in mind when laying out plans for the project was more or less amputated. Because of lacking funding, joining up with the wrong people, bad support from the publisher etc.

What a game it _could_ have_been.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love

It could be much more. The adventure has the technical foundation to be great but it falls short at achieving anything more than an “ok, playable”. The main problem with the game is that nothing is spectacular, except maybe the design of the art and the outline of the story. The puzzles are either extremely easy or uninteresting (and a couple are kinda nonsensical if the in-game help system isn’t used), the characters are usually boring and banal with their dialogues and monologue being often extremely predictable and the details of the story not that great, for the most part at least.
In general, all in all, the game is “just ok”, nothing is totally terrible, nothing is totally great (expect maybe the aesthetics of the art and the big picture of the story) but for the most part it’s mediocre for what a great adventure really needs: great story details, great characters, great puzzles, a captivating story.
Would I recommend it? MAYBE to die-hard adventure game fans but it’s definitely not a great game to introduce someone else to point and click games.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

A nice game which I enjoyed quite a bit. Really nice graphics, great characters and voice-acting, funny references and some good humor. Not very challeging puzzles, but still enjoyable. I felt it lacking a bit towards the end, but alltogether I would still recommend it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Guybrush82 - 21 September 2019 05:02 PM

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

A nice game which I enjoyed quite a bit. Really nice graphics, great characters and voice-acting, funny references and some good humor. Not very challeging puzzles, but still enjoyable. I felt it lacking a bit towards the end, but alltogether I would still recommend it.

Nice recommendation, I’ll have to give this game a try.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Veovis - 17 September 2019 03:57 PM

Those in Kadish Tolesha didn’t make sense even after solving them with a walkthrough. What WERE they thinking…:)

I don’t know which is worse: puzzles that you don’t understand even after solving them, or puzzles that even though you understand how to solve them actually doing so is insanely frustrating and takes for ever.  Nevermind, the latter is obviously worse.  Unfortunately some of these were in Myst III and IV respectively, which is probably the reason why I’ve only finished Myst IV maybe 2-3 times compared to dozens and dozens of times for Myst I through III. 

I never really thought much of Uru.  And it must’ve been pretty unmemorable since I can’t remember much of it at all (same goes for Myst V).  Uru suffered a lot from you not having much of any specified goal (although to be honest even the first Myst suffers from this a little bit).  Whereas Riven and Exile have intros that establish very clearly what you’re trying to do.  A lot of Uru felt like mostly pointless exploration.  It never felt like I accomplished anything so it was difficult to know whether I was supposed to move on to the next area. 

Not to offend or criticize anyone’s work, but I think trying to make Myst into an online multiplayer game was probably one of Cyan’s worst ideas and it probably started the decline of the company.  Luckily they’ve managed to recover somewhat and make great things again (seriously, I can’t praise Obduction enough).

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

russ869 - 23 September 2019 04:11 PM

Not to offend or criticize anyone’s work, but I think trying to make Myst into an online multiplayer game was probably one of Cyan’s worst ideas and it probably started the decline of the company.

I was still on dialup when Uru was first released in 2003, and most people I knew were also on dialup. This was in a university town of over 200,000 people, not a rural area. The bandwidth just wasn’t there for a game like Uru, at least not in most parts of the U.S.

It’s too bad Cyan didn’t make a few more offline games after Riven.
Who knows how well Uru would have done if Cyan had released it 10 years later and fans had had the bandwidth for the online version.

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

The Neverhood:

Meh, I think it’s overrated. Disclaimer: I have NO nostalgia glasses whatsoever for it since I never played it before, I had only seen some screenshots of it, if even that. In any case, the game is an achievement at the animation methods for that era, that’s fine, and it had Lore which is relatively complex without requiring it but those are the only parts that it does relatively impeccably.
The main problem is that the puzzle design is relatively nonsensical or at least obnoxious. It’s not hard per se, it’s mainly that it’s usually without much logic and with tons of backtracking for very little reason. Also it’s extremely obnoxious at moving the character around, it’s more or less very clunky in many ways. I know, the game is relatively ancient now, but let’s imagine that we actually want to play this for the first time today because that’s the point right? Well, I don’t think this is a great game today. Is it totally horrible? No. Can it be fun? MAYBE, if you’re into that kind of thing but all in all, this is not a great game at all for someone picking it up in 2019 and wanting something that will have some fluid fun in it.

PS. In my defense I think I was influenced by the last game I mentioned here, Irony Curtain. I didn’t find that particularly great either and I shouldn’t have taken its mentioning of the older game seriously.

PS. Wait, I lied, I didn’t finish it, I couldn’t. delet dis

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

thinker - 01 October 2019 01:54 PM

It’s not hard per se, it’s mainly that it’s usually without much logic and with tons of backtracking for very little reason. Also it’s extremely obnoxious at moving the character around, it’s more or less very clunky in many ways.

Clayman doesn’t move very fast (although there’s a cheat to speed up the game which becomes useful at one point), but the interface is as simple as they get, and that was done back when most adventures still used multiple icons. The world is pretty well-thought too, many levels are interconnected, some of them related to the story, some are just for fun. Puzzles themselves are not always great, but gameplay-wise it’s not much different from other Myst-inspired games that involve backtracking and searching for tiny clues all over the place. At least this one’s a comedy, and I’m still having a good laugh replaying it.

Now TenNapel’s last claymation game felt a lot like your description of The Neverhood Frown

PC means personal computer

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

^Don’t get me wrong, I know the game was pristine even at controls for the mid-1990s but I tend to review games based on the now and I didn’t find it enjoyable at all (well, the first 40min-1h excluded). I could survive the controls if the puzzle design was impeccable but in this genre I can’t have both being subpar for current year.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Well I guess everybody can’t have good taste. Tell the truth, you stopped on the mouse maze puzzle didn’t you?

I agree with Doom, your description sounds more like you were playing Armikrog.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

SpeedBo - 07 October 2019 05:26 PM

Well I guess everybody can’t have good taste.

Neither everyone can be arrogant and condescending. The game has extremely obnoxious mechanics of movement and most of the puzzles are nothing great.
I do not wear nostalgia glasses so I can see clearly through that. Your elitism regarding the history of the game is of no interest to me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top