• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #55: Yesterday Origins

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played Yesterday Origins and thought it was superior to Runaway 2 and 3.

I loved Runaway 2 and 3, so there’s hope for me yet.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

it’s my first play through but I find the idea interesting mostly when it comes to the games I have never played. It seems intriguing to discover them this way for the first time…

CPTs are a great way to play a game. You can play and share your opinions (good or bad) as you go along. For this game, I expect to read some interesting comments due to this games strange subject matter.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have finished the prologue now. The game looks gorgeous, as expected. I enjoyed chatting with the guard and am currently more interested in seeing where the game leads than I had expected.

I have to agree here. The game is visually stunning. The puzzles are actually kinda fun to solve too. I too am actually looking forward to playing more of the game.

Heart

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 10 September 2019 03:41 PM

dont you sometimes feel obliged to finish adventures that you started even if somehow you lost interest somewhere thru it?. it happens to me all the time an however time passed (i always keep my saved games) i must get to where i left them and finish them even if its after a long while.

Thanks Advie for explaining. I did get to the end of the game but remember very little about it. I have it on Steam & it seems that I’ve only got a 3rd of the achievements - I know sometimes many of the Steam achievements are silly but I still feel I missed a lot.
I haven’t got time to join in - perhaps for a week & towards the end of next month maybe.  Smile

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I have played through the prologue.

I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised up to this point.

1 - I don’t remember much about the first Yesterday apart from not liking it very much, but I don’t recall the interface being similar as YO. In any case the zooming is an interesting take on the classic point and click system, and enhances the investigative feeling. I’m into it at that point.

2 - The puzzles in the prologue are well balanced, I though, we’ll see if that holds up.

3 - The story seems ok, but I can’t say I’m overly invested in it so far.

4 - It looks pretty nice, especially the animations (mind you, it’s been a while since I’ve played a modern looking point and click, so I might have low expectations).

5 - The dialog with the guard has a nice touch of dark humor. And the French voice-overs are ok, so I think I won’t switch to english for once.

6 - Some midly disturbing actions are required in the prologue (burning the pig and then making him eat a face), so I hope it won’t get too over-the-top/gross as it progresses.

So overall, I’m looking forward to playing more. :-)

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

So I installed the game and played through the prologue.

I remember playing Yesterday on my phone when it was offered for free, I liked it better than I expected (better than the Runaway games that is, but not sure if it’s because the characters were less annoying, the puzzles, less nonsensical, the humour, less sexist, or a combination of all three). I didn’t find it mind-blowing either. The sequel had caught my attention, probably just not enough for me to actually give it a try. So, that CPT is a good occasion! Smile

The first puzzle was logical enough, but I found its implementation a bit clumsy. I liked the zooming feature with several hotspots on an item or character, a bit less the way you apply inventory items on them (I like clicking and dragging or pointing and clicking, just clicking feels like something is missing, and if the hotspot isn’t exactly well-positioned it doesn’t get detected). I appreciated that I had to justify some of my actions, although it sound like a double-edged sword - it’s a rather refreshing mechanism that could help prevent a tiresome try-everything-on-everything approach, but it could also get bothersome fast if it’s too recurrent.

I don’t mind the general dark tone so far, although burning the pig made me feel uncomfortable, I hate it when games force you to hurt animals. And from what I understand, one of the actions to come right after the prologue (I did click through a few dialogue lines afterwards Innocent ) is susceptible to making me feel even more upset. I’ll discuss it when we reach that part for obvious spoiler reasons.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

finished the prologue, and as i remembered was quite good (start), long too, in the gameplaying time needed sense; and tho its a one room part its quite well done, with lots of variation and episodes within.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finished the prologue as well and so far I’m into it. I dig the zoom feature, and, as all Pendulo games, this one is visually stunning.

I don’t have the “oh my god, I need to finish this game no matter what feeling”, but I also don’t have the “why am I even playing this” feeling either… Perhaps it’s too early to tell, but I feel like I might like it better then Yesterday…

Which is why I think I’m going to go ahead and replay that next week as well. My steam playtime (and I completed it) shows only 4 hours, so I’m going to attempt it. I know we don’t need to play it to enjoy this one, but the prologue piqued my curiosity about any connection between these two games…

Looking forward to more this upcoming week!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Looks like we got a good group of players and it seems we are now ready for chapter one.

Why don’t we take until next Sunday to complete chapter one.

And of course, keep posting your opinions, good or bad.

So far, we have lots of positive opinions on the game.

Also, I do agree that this playthrough so far is a very good CPT.

Crazy

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’d like to double-check if “1st chapter” stopped when we had a time transition from Paris to monastery ? Since there are no definitive chapters, that’s where I stopped.

So far I’m, for the lack of better word, still intrigued. I’d like to see where the game is going but I have certain gripes with it:

*I don’t particularly like our characters. It might be a special set-up, of course, and as the game progresses they might open up some more, but at this point I actually prefer Boris to both of them.

*Overall, the story seems interesting and has promises of paths we aren’t quite seeing yet, but it has a hard time deciding whether it wants to be just dark or humorously dark. Not sure the balance is captured right here. As of now, it still stands, but just the fact that I’m thinking about it while playing shows me a sort of unsure writing; solid - yes, but unsure.

*I have spent most of this part doing a fairly trivial tasks for something that is being sold as an epic story with a lot of heavy elements… Again, maybe this is just a set-up for something much bigger and it’s just getting started, but after learning about immortality, cults, memory loss, time travel and dreams that might be real events , spending your time looking for ink cartridge, SD card for a camera, locating a hammer seems a bit…odd.

*Also, as much as I find the zoom feature neat and novel, getting it done with a keyboard became slightly frustrating. The game, like the warning said, is truly better played with a gamepad, but it’d have been great to make it a smoother experience for keyboard users. I also had an item in my inventory disappear, lost my character completely at the start of “chapter 2” (both were fixed with restart), and during fast-walking my character just disappears off screen while I can hear him walking - jarring and amusing at the same time.

With that being said, I’m still interested to continue seeing how things develop. The story is complex and “twisty” enough for me to want to know what’s next (I just hope it wouldn’t be the case of biting more than they could chew). The writing, while style-insecure, is of good quality. Puzzles, although bit superficial, are logical. And the visuals are fantastic.

I feel like after this point, the game will either ratchet up the tension or start losing steam, so I’m actually waiting for Monday to continue - the ending of this part was a definite cliff-hanger.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

DCast - 20 September 2019 09:31 PM

during fast-walking my character just disappears off screen while I can hear him walking - jarring and amusing at the same time.

that is part of the game (features). was used also before at many or at least some adventures, like Torin Passage, for example.
i like it, i think its effective at saving time roaming around.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Advie - 20 September 2019 10:05 PM

that is part of the game (features). was used also before at many or at least some adventures, like Torin Passage, for example.
i like it, i think its effective at saving time roaming around.

Thanks! I haven’t come across any adventures lately with this feature, so probably just forgot it’s a thing…(And I haven’t played Torin’s Passage, although I think I should)

I didn’t dislike it. I just didn’t expect it)) First few times really surprised me. Now I’m used to it, and it works fine. Ultimately, I prefer regular “visibly walking around” style, simply because I’m so accustomed to it, but I don’t mind this way either.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For Chapter one, you play in Paris and stop when you get to the monastery. So, you are exactly right.

This is right after when you check what book is inside the envelope

After that, I’ll tell you what chapter 2 consists of.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For those who are ready, let’s play through chapter 2. You have until next Sunday to complete this chapter.

In this chapter you play in the monastery until you enter the secret room. Stop when you are back in New York.

Heart

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I wasn’t sure where the first chapter ended either, so I played a little bit into chapter 2 yesterday. And I’m glad I did, as it was much more interesting than the rather prosaic set-up. To be honest, I didn’t mind the mundanity of the tasks in chapter 1, I like seeing the boring, day-to-day aspects of a mystery, it makes me feel like I’m taking a peek behind the scenes, but it can only last for so long. And there was an awful lot of exposition crammed into that short chapter, which was both welcome, since I didn’t remember much from the first game, and a bit perplexing.

Both main characters are annoying so far. Pauline is odious, and John manages to be irritating and bland at the same time.

The suicide scene was less unsettling than I feared it would be, but that’s still borderline even with the 18+ rating (many adults are or have been psychologically fragile at some point in their life).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top