• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #54: Blade Runner

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

stroggoff - 17 August 2019 04:19 AM

I wanted to get in touch with David Leary and Louis Castle (about script questions, dialogue transcript issues and removed vs bugged out content) but was hesitant to do so before we had a stable version in ScummVM, and I’m still not quite confident I have all questions sorted in my mind Smile

I’d love their feedback though, on the playthrough comments and their design decisions and stuff they had to drop.

Would’ve been cool if one of them joined the playthrough

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Would’ve been cool if one of them joined the playthrough

That would have been amazing. Nothing better than a CPT that has guest commenters. I am amazed by how many CPTs we’ve had that have included them. They provide so much insite on the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sadly, it’s been DAYS since we got a post in this thread. I usually finish one ending and then move on. So now I am playing wet dreams don’t dry.

When I play a game over and over, I try for different endings. However, I am happy with the Bladerunner ending I got - at least for now.

This is one of the best games I have ever played. Better than the movie in many ways and yet compliments it.

Anyway, should we untie this game?

I hate to say this, but it might be time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Okay, it does seem that most of us are finished with the game so perhaps the thread can be unpinned within the next few days.

I’m pleased to have at last played the game & it’s definitely been well worth playing as part of a group to learn about the many variations. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s contributions so thankyou for those especially BR vet McCoy for detailing so many alternatives & listing the endings!
Also special thanks to you stroggoff for your work on ScummVM to get the game to run & also yet more intricacies within the gameplay.  Thumbs Up 

Mikekelly - 19 August 2019 06:41 PM

This is one of the best games I have ever played. Better than the movie in many ways and yet compliments it.
Heart

Yes, I enjoyed the game a lot!

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

A big thank you to everyone involved in this playthrough, especially chrissie, McCoy97 and stroggoff for leading, sharing insights and making it run with ScummVM. I thoroughly enjoyed both playing the game and reading all your comments.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Heh yeah thanks everyone. And stroggoff. I’ve learned quite a lot about the game too even after all these years thanks to this playthrough Smile I even remembered a few things that don’t even exist haha.

I’m sure there are even more I don’t know yet and I’m still curious to know how to get that 13th ending which I know I’ve seen before.

If this was my first time playing I would’ve tried to get all the endings but really I don’t think it’s really worth it. Because some are pretty much identical but with a slightly different voiceover. Would’ve been nice if there were more players though to see more variations.

Will still try the restored content version when that’s all done.

And yeah I agree it is one of the best adventure games of all time. Not perfect and a bit too short though but still amazing. I wonder if there were plans for a sequel before Westwood closed their doors…

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

stroggoff - 14 August 2019 04:04 AM

The cut human Dektora ending is the only one that has a (cut) video cutscene in the files, which is basically, like the other romance endings, the same Dektora scene with the appropriately nuanced voice-over.

Wow, are there other cut video cutscenes? Thank you so much for the work you’re doing on ScummVM and this peak behind the curtain, stroggoff. The restored content is fascinating. I know it’s a work-in-progress, but I used it on my recent re-play of the game. The only new things I noticed were an extra spinner takeoff cutscene and Runciter’s VK. I know you can meet Rachel 2 extra times, but I didn’t get those. What other things can we expect to see when this version is complete?

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Thank you all, for a great playthrough and your kind words. I’m still learning a lot for this game and its design and I love it all the more for it.

If you haven’t tried the ScummVM version, I hope you’ll give it a go at some point in the future, perhaps after it’s out of the public testing period, because we really put a lot of work to have the best version of this game (...) out there.

Snatcher42 - 20 August 2019 05:37 PM
stroggoff - 14 August 2019 04:04 AM

The cut human Dektora ending is the only one that has a (cut) video cutscene in the files, which is basically, like the other romance endings, the same Dektora scene with the appropriately nuanced voice-over.

Wow, are there other cut video cutscenes? Thank you so much for the work you’re doing on ScummVM and this peak behind the curtain, stroggoff. The restored content is fascinating. I know it’s a work-in-progress, but I used it on my recent re-play of the game. The only new things I noticed were an extra spinner takeoff cutscene and Runciter’s VK. I know you can meet Rachel 2 extra times, but I didn’t get those. What other things can we expect to see when this version is complete?

As far as cut content goes, there is quite a lot of stuff. Some of it may not work that well if restored; for example there seems to have been an “informants” system, where McCoy would inquire and acquire clues from most characters—but they could lie and McCoy could pressure them into telling the truth. That’s pretty much impossible or way too complicated to restore but still a neat detail about the intended or original design of the game.

I think we already have all the deleted cutscenes restored in the restored content version. Off the top of my head, one missing is a placeholder “Gaff Ending” scene (it’s literally a video that shows a “Gaff Ending” message), which I believe is not a separate ending but probably was supposed to be part of the Gaff endings at the Kipple. And there’s a spinner transition that has no sound; it’s mostly identical to another one, but slightly longer (this can be seen in the preview trailer for the game, which is where you can see other such stuff too).

Other than the ones you’ve mentioned, some noteable side-cutscenes that got restored are a spinner landing transition for Howie Lee’s restaurant (this will play randomly and only if Gordo is not sitting there because it glitches with him there - this is another scene that can be seen in the original trailer), and the trains in the overhead railway occasionally dumping toxic sewage in the underground meet up place with Guzza. In that particular scene some extra animations are restored with regard to Guzza’s death (which includes him floating in the toxic waste water and ... dissolving after a while (you’ll need to revisit the scene for that little nugget)

As for the ‘final cut’ Smile version (the target for the restored content version), it’s going to have more interactions and dialogue with most characters, and a few extra clues and items to get (not crucial to the investigation); and you’ll be able to kill (or attempt to) a few of them. Some of the “big” not yet restored stuff there are some extra outcomes for the Izo chase sequence, a sub-story involving finding Grigorian’s note in the crashed Sedan, a re-visit to Chew’s lab after he was attacked by Roy and Leon from the movie (in Act 4), a few other encounters with Izo and Gordo in Act 4 and an arrest scene for McCoy at the end of that Act, a bit more involved role in the events from Steele (...), the Human Dektora ending and maybe a way to get the aforementioned secret ending at the Kipple (enabled by the use of Bob’s KIA modification)

And I’d like to revisit some things, like the maze point system because the (deleted) short instructions you can get in-game about it mentions some stuff that were not actually implemented like that, but that’s in low priority now. Also, looking closely to the AI scripts for each characters reveals deleted stuff that I have missed (like the recently restored mechanic to annoy the lab guy (Dino Klein) by pressing a buzzer in his lab.

Edit: Speaking of original trailers, an issue of the Next Generation Magazine (December 1997) included an extended preview along with the original trailer on their cover CD. Nothing playable sadly, but the whole thing (and the piggybacked official trailer) are taken from an early build from the game and you can notice quite a few differences (even technical stuff that got cut). Anyway, the preview is from the game’s introductory cutscene but it goes on without the Runciter events. The scene with Guzza in particular is quite different; Guzza’s model is a different one, there’s a focus on him eating candy bars, and the dialogue is also slightly different.

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Wow, any idea why so much of that was cut? I mean, not the trailer things, but the stuff still in the actual game code/files?

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Snatcher42 - 21 August 2019 02:02 AM

Wow, any idea why so much of that was cut? I mean, not the trailer things, but the stuff still in the actual game code/files?

It could be timing and resource constraints (they had to have a huge testing period for any major changes they implemented, since the game has so many paths and non-deterministic features), especially if they were pressured or wanted to get the game released by a certain date (which is very likely, and not necessarily a bad thing).
It could also be that some of this cut stuff were intended for the “Designers Cut” option mode that exists in the original game but is very underused.
My (own) favorite theory was that maybe they intended to release a patch later on to enable and integrate all those stuff, sort of like a Developer’s Cut version.

Oh, another thing that was cut was developer’s commentary. They have three recorded quotes about three scenes in the game and there’s also an interactive text developers commentary dialogue but only for the first scene in the game.

Another thing to ask the creators of the game Smile

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Wild. A developer’s commentary would have been way ahead of its time. Maybe that was something for the press. Crazy that so much was left in the shipped code!

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Snatcher42 - 21 August 2019 04:21 AM

Wild. A developer’s commentary would have been way ahead of its time. Maybe that was something for the press.

Indeed, this is a definite possibility!

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Hey everyone, being quite a while since my last post. Had to leave in the middle of the playthrough, because there were some real-life problems. Finally finished the last two acts. Can’t say I’m a fan of sewers-mazes, and even though it provided some shooting, that part wasn’t much fun to me.

I agree with many of you that the last part was a bit too short and anticlimactic, was hoping for some epic ending (with epic music, maybe?). At least one of them. I had four (kinda). I first had the driving with Lucy ending, it felt… weird. I tested Lucy before, she turned human - pretty much like everyone else I tested in the game.

Then I replayed and watched the moonbus ending. There were only two guys there - Clovis and Sadik. No Zuben (since I killed him in the first act), no Dektora (since I scared her away) and no twins for some reason (I helped them alright and didn’t kill them).

From then on I tried several routes: found the battery and flew away; killed Sadik and watched Clovis die just to be proclaimed “a true Blade Runner” by Gaff and found the battery, entered the moonbus and shot down both Clovis and Sadik for no reason. This led to a… dead end, as I wasn’t able to do anything after my filthy murder.

I didn’t get the ending I was hoping for - the one where McCoy and Crystal fall in love and get married, maybe have some children and pets. I knew there must be one, and the comments proved there is one indeed. This romance feels much more natural than with Lucy or Dektora (I briefly even talk to her!). But, alas, for some reason Crystal always turned against me, murdered my dog and then I had to shoot her Frown

But all in all, it was a great, super-original, epic and atmospheric adventure. I’m glad I replayed it 20 years after. Remembered a lot and discovered even more during this playthrough. Modern adventures could learn a lot from BR.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The budget on this game was pretty high and it shows. I would love a remake, but it won’t happen. Even a Bladerunner 2049 adventure game would be much appreciated.

Heart

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Never say never! Today’s developers are doing some amazing things despite far lower budgets.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top