• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Memoria, too.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Right now we have no leader for Memoria, so despite the numerical tie, Yesterday Origins is ahead.  I’ll let this play out until midnight Greenwich Mean Time, which will be in 2 and a quarter hours.

Memoria (4) - DCast, Mo64, Diego, Advie
Yesterday Origins (4) - Mikekelly (leader), Pegbiter, DCast, Stroggoff

Unavowed (3) - Mikekelly (leader), Crezzle, Stroggoff

Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (2) - Lady Kestrel (leader), Karmillo

Heavy Rain (1) - Pegbiter (leader)
Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Die (1) - Mikekelly (leader)
Telling Lies (1) - Mikekelly (leader)

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yesterday Origins will be the next community playthrough.  Mike Kelly will set up the playthrough thread at his convenience.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Things are definitely changing. Hard to remember a time when a game won with so few votes. And then by default because there was no leader for the second game.I will be interested in seeing how many join the playthrough.

If it’s only the four, I wish them the best of luck, and hope they have fun.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, I have set it up. Maybe some additional people will join in also.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think Diego opened up a new avenue of discussion that probably belongs here, or in an entirely separate thread than on the Yesterdays Origins playthrough thread.

diego - 09 September 2019 06:03 PM

I don’t want to rain on the parade (I might even join this playthrough), I’ll just use the opportunity to express my thoughts - I really don’t know what is stopping me from playing Pendulo games after I enjoyed Runaway trilogy - but Yesterday and Yesterday Origins didn’t seem like it would be my cup of tea, and I don’t have a good explanation why, even though I only seen the trailers and read the reviews. I think that the characters lacked personality, visually, as the biggest turn off. And the plot seemed way to serious for its own good. I might be wrong about everything, though.

Another point I want to make is to @Mikekelly - I’m thankful to you that you’re keeping the playthroughs alive, I believe this is the 2nd or 3rd time you’re leading it? Even when nobody else wants to take a hard job of being the playthrough leader, you already stepped a couple of times. However, for me it is not enough that you only copy-paste the game description from other site, and put generic screenshots. You’re not making the game any more interesting to me. I’d like to hear your thoughts, your personal thoughts, emotions, everything that is driving and motivating you concerning this game. What does it mean to you, how you felt when you played it the first time? You can look at some of the previous playthroughs around here, there are people that made my mouth watering out of excitement to start the game, just by reading their playthrough intro post. Take it as a word of a friendly advice - this looks way too generic, make the playthrough “yours”. I know it might also motivate me to join the playthrough.

I think there are valid points here. Not the least being the well-deserved kudos to Mikekelly for volunteering to lead many of the recent playthroughs.

Another comment I would make is that recent winning games seem to be of fairly recent vintage. I wonder if this will become an ongoing trend…or is it just a current flash in the pan? My first playthrough was CCS. I would have to look up the dates, but I believe it was a good seven or eight years since it published before it reached “playthrough status.” Ditto A Vampyre Story, IHNMAIMS, and many, many others.

I have no problem with this trend. The trend being instead of “I wish I had played this game when it first came out.” to “I decided to buy this new release because it’s become a playthrough game.”

The only difference for me is that I prefer to relive older experiences. So I nominate older games like Still Life, and really older games such as Lighthouse. Although I really think I missed the boat by not playing the Obra Dinn playthrough. Other than that, I doubt I will participate in playthroughs of games that are less than two years old.

I enjoyed leading many of the “Casual Game” playthroughs. Many of the “regular” AG people joined them. Lady K, Becky, chrissie, TimovieMan, Izno, et al. Some of the playthroughs lead to rather heated discussions. Hard to imagine for a casual game!

I’ll leave it to Lady K and/or TimovieMan to decide where this comment belongs.

Other Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I wanted Unavowed to win. Followed by Larry Yesterday: Origins was my 4th choice. We can’t always have what we want.

I am really going to try falling in love with this game on my 2nd playthrough.

And if you LOVE a game, like Memoria volunteer to lead it please.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Mikekelly - 09 September 2019 08:42 PM

I wanted Unavowed to win. Followed by Larry Yesterday: Origins was my 4th choice. We can’t always have what we want.

I am really going to try falling in love with this game on my 2nd playthrough.

And if you LOVE a game, like Memoria volunteer to lead it please.

Heart

Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i would have lead Memoria anytime with my eyes closed, but it all just happened so fast here.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 10 September 2019 05:36 AM

i would have lead Memoria anytime with my eyes closed, but it all just happened so fast here.

It’s a pity when a game loses by default & it’s happened at least a couple of times now. My thought is that if you’ve an inclination to lead a game (& have the time) offer when you vote for it. Smile 

I don’t want to rain on the parade (I might even join this playthrough), I’ll just use the opportunity to express my thoughts - I really don’t know what is stopping me from playing Pendulo games after I enjoyed Runaway trilogy - but Yesterday and Yesterday Origins didn’t seem like it would be my cup of tea, and I don’t have a good explanation why, even though I only seen the trailers and read the reviews. I think that the characters lacked personality, visually, as the biggest turn off. And the plot seemed way to serious for its own good. I might be wrong about everything, though.

In both games Pendulo kept to their same ‘cartoony’ graphics which didn’t lend particularly well to either of them as neither are comedies but worked I thought better for Origins for some reason (maybe I was ‘acclimatised’ by then?) I can’t tell you if you’re definitely wrong about your impressions, I just know that I found both game interesting enough but don’t feature in a list of my favourites.

Another point I want to make is to @Mikekelly ................it is not enough that you only copy-paste the game description from other site, and put generic screenshots. You’re not making the game any more interesting to me. I’d like to hear your thoughts, your personal thoughts, emotions, everything that is driving and motivating you concerning this game. What does it mean to you, how you felt when you played it the first time? You can look at some of the previous playthroughs around here, there are people that made my mouth watering out of excitement to start the game, just by reading their playthrough intro post. Take it as a word of a friendly advice - this looks way too generic, make the playthrough “yours”. I know it might also motivate me to join the playthrough.

diego - 10 September 2019 03:41 AM

Well, the leader doesn’t have to be in love with the game to lead it (but I guess in 90% situations the leader loves the game, or why else would he/she accept to lead it). But the things I stated in my previous post is not for you to make opinion about the game instead of myself, but to provoke my interest. Even synopsis (said in your words, not copy-pasted) is sometimes enough, or perhaps a screenshot you took by yourself, because those kind of things are the ones I’ve never read or seen before, and might be something I find interesting. Don’t be afraid to state what you think about the game - without making HUGE spoilers, obviously Crazy

I’m so dismayed diego that you’ve posted any of this - it’s very discouraging for anyone that might otherwise offer to be a playthrough leader in the future in fear of getting the same harsh criticism (as that how it reads - sorry!) even though you mean it to be constructive.  Pan
You, yourself have proved to be an enthusiastic & expressive playthrough leader so can understand your complete frustration at someone completely opposite with a very laid-back approach. What is the role of the playthrough leader?
For me it’s to have enough knowledge of the game to structure & pace the playthrough - that’s where I feel the responsibility ends.
(Pacing I found the most difficult as you don’t want to frustrate players who have got through quickly but don’t want to race ahead of others who have less time to play.)

I don’t see the role of a playthrough leader generating interest/encouraging participation in the game as presumably anyone who nominates/votes for it wants to play it.
Every playthrough leader has their own approach but the focus surely is on the game. Not every playthrough leader whilst playing the game took screenshots at the time so generic ones may be necessary.
As for descriptions of the game on presenting a new playthrough thread you can interpret ‘copy & pasted’ as lazy if you like but if you’re just not very good with your own words it’s a preferable alternative.
Smile

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Hey, chrissie, thanks for the comments. Now, here’s another story: There’s another forum, that was very popular with talk of adventure games, (couple of us from here posted in that forum regularly), and there was a thread about upcoming games: Couple of us took the time and effort to post about the upcoming games, and we did it as we were paid for it - did the research, posted hefty articles, expressed our thoughts and expectations etc etc. And posted some juicy screenshots along the way. (to see what I’m talking about see here - posted by one user who also has an account here, but doesn’t post often)

Then, several of us stopped posting in that thread, and it was all quiet. One guy took over, and his news posts were like: “Name of the game”, with the link to the official site, or Youtube trailer. Nothing else, no personal touch to his posts, it was like a spam robot. But you know what - it was better than nothing. I was “angry” because I remember (and I was part of it) when I enjoyed reading those posts, and not only seeing the generic name of the game + links. It’s like I enjoyed reading the game magazine when I was I child. But there was still something, the guy kept the torch burning. Why am I telling this? Because I see Mikekelly, and he (It’s he, right Mike?! Meh ) reminds me of that guy. It’s NOT easy to be the playthrough leader, even if you “only” have to think about the playthrough chapters, and setting the tempo, it’s an enormous job - I know because I did it. All I wished for, and expressed in my post is if I can get a bit more of a personal touch - I am aware nobody of us “works” here, it’s all voluntarily, however, Mikekelly responded to my “criticism” (it’s not really criticism), and I already learned something more (both about Mikekelly, AND the game) than from the initial post. I hope nobody will be discouraged to lead the next playthrough, because I will always be thankful to those guys.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

What I would say is that if Mikekelly is posting generic tone because he doesn’t want to express his relative dislike for the game, then he’s doing it for the wrong reason. Why not say that you don’t think it’s a very good game? Is there a rule a Community Playthrough Leader shouldn’t do that? I think it would add a touch of personality, which is usually a good thing.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

This thread has got too personal.  Pan

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 10 September 2019 08:15 AM

You, yourself have proved to be an enthusiastic & expressive playthrough leader so can understand your complete frustration at someone completely opposite with a very laid-back approach.

Hey! Thanks for the kind words, but I’m not “frustrated”! Grin Like I said, MikeKelly is doing the leader job which isn’t easy at all “by default”, and doing the favor to me, you and anyone else who wants to join. It’s probably rude to criticize someone who is doing a “favor” to you, but let’s be clear - I’m not frustrated. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 10 September 2019 09:19 AM
chrissie - 10 September 2019 08:15 AM

You, yourself have proved to be an enthusiastic & expressive playthrough leader so can understand your complete frustration at someone completely opposite with a very laid-back approach.

Hey! Thanks for the kind words, but I’m not “frustrated”! Grin Like I said, MikeKelly is doing the leader job which isn’t easy at all “by default”, and doing the favor to me, you and anyone else who wants to join. It’s probably rude to criticize someone who is doing a “favor” to you, but let’s be clear - I’m not frustrated. Wink

I apologise for the word diego but what word would you use instead?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top