• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure - Out on Steam and GOG

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Check Joe Keeley previous reviews and you will understand how stingy he is with his rating; 3 stars could easily had gone four with someone else. i am sorry, but that is true.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

The game has some wonky writing, especially at the start imo. Still having a great time with it though. The puzzles are fun, for the most part, and it looks fantastic.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

For anyone interested, here’s my review of the game: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2019/08/gibbous-cthulhu-adventure-2019.html

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

Advie - 08 August 2019 01:29 PM

Check Joe Keeley previous reviews and you will understand how stingy he is with his rating; 3 stars could easily had gone four with someone else. i am sorry, but that is true.

Your post made me curious so I did what you suggested. In his 10 previous scored reviews, Joe Keeley gave out 4 four-star reviews and only 2 three-star reviews (not counting Gibbous). The rest are 3.5 stars.

To be fair, I don’t really see how that constitutes a “stingy” track record.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

tomimt - 09 August 2019 04:00 PM

For anyone interested, here’s my review of the game: https://playernone.blogspot.com/2019/08/gibbous-cthulhu-adventure-2019.html

Pretty fair review!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey guys! Many thanks to everyone who bought the game and supported us! If you enjoyed it, we’re super happy. If not, please know that we’re aware we’ve got a lot to learn, and we’re hoping Gibbous does well enough that we can keep making games - if we do, the next one will be way better.

Also want to throw another extra special thanks to this community - this is the very first place where we’ve shown the game publicly, so it’s special for us. Thanks again! Fhtagn

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Opinions are like butts: everybody’s got one. Voice acting is not horrible. Obviously it’s not The Longest Journey, but works pretty well. You think otherwise? Ok, it’s a free world. Majority agrees is not bad, but improvable. Majority is always right? Not always. Be water, my friend.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-05-22

PM

Just wanted to chime in and say this game is absolutely gorgeous, easily triple A quality when it comes to art and animations.

Now, self-referential comedy and hard-to-translate puns aren’t necessarily my cup of tea, but I definitely intend to try it out at one point.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

minhta - 09 August 2019 04:26 PM

Your post made me curious so I did what you suggested. In his 10 previous scored reviews, Joe Keeley gave out 4 four-star reviews and only 2 three-star reviews (not counting Gibbous). The rest are 3.5 stars.

All of them could have easily went at least half a star up.

cheers, but our site had given the lowest rating all over the net, you might wanna check this too, or not.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Who cares about the review rating!  Laughing I’ve played through the first few chapters - it’s grabbed me so far & I just love the wacky humour in the dialogues. The game looks gorgeous & the cat is hilarious!  So far Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

To be fair to the reviewer his criticisms of the plot are valid. I didn’t get as lost in the mix of things has he did, but the game doesn’t track its moving parts particularly well.

You basically lose sight of 2 of the 4 major players/conspirators for the entire middle 3rd. The constantly shifting focus from one cult to the next, Olmsteen then onto the Butcher… All while never really getting a clear picture of who a lot of these people even are does impact the plot’s cohesion. To the point where, when one group shows up again at the ass end of the final act it’s like “oh, yeah, I nearly forgot these guys were in the game.”

If ever a game needed some Ron Gilbert esque “meanwhile” cutscenes to bookend each chapter, it’s this one.

That’s not to say that I would personally score it the same, myself. I think that despite the script issues the game does to stay engaging. There are enough good qualities there that Gibbous manages to power through its shortcomings. But the issues are there nonetheless and they’re not insignificant.

I think SIA tried to juggle a bit too much plot-wise, especially for their first game. The fact that so much of the mystery has to be resolved in a clumsy info dump villain speech at the end speaks to that.

Stuck In Attic did a good job with Gibbous and I think they can do a great job with their next project. Good critique is part of how artists elevate their craft and whether or not you agree with the score, the AGers review is actually a solidly good critique.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t finished the game yet but played enough to perhaps not disagree entirely with the overall review. What I do disagree with is the criticism of poorly written dialogue with some ‘mis-translated’ such as shoes being called ‘walk-dogs’.
In my mind the dialogue was brilliantly written with many truly inventive metaphors? (Is that what I mean - I can never remember the terminology). 
I’m sorry but I think the reviewer has completely overlooked the very brilliant humorous command of the English language in this game! - I just love the idea of putting on my ‘walkdogs’ before leaving my house! but that’s just one example of the interesting descriptions for me. Laughing

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished Gibbous last night and thought it was an ok game. Three stars out of five seems about right. On the technical side the game looks and feels great but I was a bit underwhelmed by the story/writing/humor. Will follow what the developer will do next with great interest though.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

I am currently playing Gibbous in a group play on Discord and loving every minute of it.

I finally got to the “walkdogs” remark. It was made by Don R. Ketype who is a superb parody of a 1930s hardboiled, cliche-ridden film noir detective. He says completely nonsensical things like it’s important to “get our coconuts situated” but you still pretty much know what he’s talking about. The word “Dogs” has been used as slang for feet (My dogs are barking.)for probably 100 years at least in the US and UK in rhyming slang, dog meat = feet. In current slang, to dogwalk someone is to drag him like a reluctant dog on a leash. So it all makes a kind of convoluted and, as far as I’m concerned hilarious sense.

The first thing I wondered upon reading the AG review was if the reviewer was playing the game in English. Gibbous is so chocked full of pop culture references, from a Michael Jackson tune to Twin Peaks to Ron Dilbert to MC Hammer, that some of it might not translate well. I know that there have been some complaints about the Russian translation.

I’ve just started chapter 4 and am delighted with Gibbous. I think Don still has a lot of silly but quotable things to say. I’m having fun!

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2015-03-02

PM

Advie - 10 August 2019 11:37 AM
minhta - 09 August 2019 04:26 PM

All of them could have easily went at least half a star up.

cheers, but our site had given the lowest rating all over the net, you might wanna check this too, or not.

I wasn’t really looking to get into a debate about review scores in general. But I can think of a dozen counter-points to your argument that such and such scores “could have easily been” this or that. But I think the best answer to that is “of course, so what?”

Unless you can point to actual flaws to the review that can be discussed, saying such general things about subjective opinions and critiques is futile.

More broadly, if you check out this link on Metacritic (https://www.metacritic.com/publication/adventure-gamers), it says that Adventure Gamers scores games on average 7.6 points lower than all other publications—giving out an average score of 6.6/10.

The fact is, it’s easy to point to a reviewer, or indeed an entire publication, and say they are too stingy or too generous. There could be many legitimate reasons for that (in this case the game genre is probably the biggest contributor).

But at this point, you’re not talking about Gibbous, which is the topic at hand. To me, the game looks great, and I’d love to play it. Keeley’s review is a well-written piece. His, and AG’s review record, is a different topic.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top