• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloserSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I used to hate Daedalic games only because of their terrible english voice acting/translations. They’ve improved a lot though starting with Silence. Silence had excellent english voice acting (the best of all their games) and no translation issues at all. The only other Daedalic games I’ve played since then are State of Mind and Pillars of the Earth, both of which I loved as well.

Everything before Silence I absolutely hated because of the english/acting/translation issues. And that includes the first Whispered World, Deponia and A New Beginning. They all look amazing in the graphics department though. A New Beginning especially. Just wish they spent more time on the english versions.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ninth - 26 July 2019 08:25 AM

I agree that Daedalic games are beautiful, but to me they’re lacking in the writing departement.

Not the thing I’d say for Edna&Harvey; - actually, that game brought something entirely new to the genre, to me it’s groundbreaking as much as “no dying”, “visible hotspots”, “verb interface” etc. You can use “everything on everything” and you will get unique answers/reactions to almost all of those actions. And the writing itself is a spot on, also very funny.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

diego - 26 July 2019 10:03 AM

Not the thing I’d say for Edna&Harvey; - actually, that game brought something entirely new to the genre, to me it’s groundbreaking as much as “no duying”, “visible hotspots”, “verb interface” etc. You can use “everything on everything” and you will get unique answers/reactions to almost all of those actions. And the writing itself is a spot on, also very funny.

Ok, now you got me intrigued.
I think I have Edna & Harvey on Steam, I’ll try to play it soon.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I agree that Daedalic games are beautiful, but to me they’re lacking in the writing departement.

Not the thing I’d say for Edna&Harvey; - actually, that game brought something entirely new to the genre, to me it’s groundbreaking as much as “no dying”, “visible hotspots”, “verb interface” etc. You can use “everything on everything” and you will get unique answers/reactions to almost all of those actions. And the writing itself is a spot on, also very funny.

That does sound a game well worth playing (it’s on my list…), but did I miss the something entirely new?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Phlebas - 29 July 2019 05:23 AM

That does sound a game well worth playing (it’s on my list…), but did I miss the something entirely new?

Well, the “use everything on everything” (and on everybody!) is literally true and to the best of my knowledge that has never been done before. We’re talking dozens of inventory objects here, not just 10-12! Edna is one of my alltime favorite games and the second time I played it I discovered I could even go back to somebody I had no reason to see again and get their unique response to newly acquired objects.

A great opportunity to repost the pic of the psychiatrist’s portrait after Edna and I had a go at it with some of our inventory objects. We let Freud and Jung alone, but Dr Marcel got all he deserved. Unleash your inner child with Edna and Harvey! 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

You can use “everything on everything”.

One of my favourite adventure games, and the sequel is quite good as well. The only other game I can think of that does this is Broken Sword 1.

I picked The Whispered World as my favourite as it is probably the only game to match Syberia in the atmosphere of adventure and wonder.

Night of the Rabbit was also fantastic, the same guy who made What Makes you Tick worked on that one. I am so disappointed that we have not seen more of that quality since. I think Night of the Rabbit must of been that last really good game they have released.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Can confirm that feature is cool as hell, which is why we’ve included it in Gibbous. It *really* makes the voice acting budget balloon up, but it’s totally worth it.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Ah, ok. I’m not sure I’d consider it a feature so much as a level of attention to detail - not an entirely new idea, but as you say much rarer in modern games where everything requires voice acting and possibly animation too.
But definitely an excellent thing, whether it’s a new feature or not. The Ben and Dan games are good like that too!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

KQVI was like that too, of course not in that funny way, but all things had some response. it is even unique in the matter of everything is a hotspot and has a description.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve played Broken Sword 1, Ben and Dan, KQ6. To be honest, I don’t remember you could use everything on everything in BS1 and KQ6. But they’re not in Edna’s league anyway. Every room has at least 4 or 5 objects/people and when Edna has collected some 20 inventory objects that makes 80-100 combinations and unique responses in each room.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Edna & Harvey has some generic responses too. Not many, but I remember being disappointed by that when I played it, because I’d heard that it was all unique.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 31 July 2019 11:45 AM

Edna & Harvey has some generic responses too. Not many, but I remember being disappointed by that when I played it, because I’d heard that it was all unique.

LOL! Now I simple HAVE to replay Edna for the second time to see the generic responses I missed.  Tongue

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 31 July 2019 05:59 PM
Donuts McGee - 31 July 2019 11:45 AM

LOL! Now I simple HAVE to replay Edna for the second time to see the generic responses I missed.  Tongue

I definitely remember Edna saying hello to someone and that someone said hello back. How generic can you get?  Laughing

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played all or part of all of the games on the list except for Fire.
My favourite was A New Beginning until I got around to at last playing the Edna & Harvey games last year. Where had I been! as they were as good adventuring as you can get & a lot of fun!
  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Just bought Whispered World for 3 dollars. This gun be gud

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top