• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #54: Blade Runner

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

I got a 63 on shooting gallery on medium (which is same difficulty as hard, and pretty damn hard overall Grin). Just one point below Steele.

With regard to the Chinatown events, I chased Zuben down the alley and retired him at the abandoned building

Too bad this game has no option to pet Maggie.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

stroggoff - 19 July 2019 12:24 AM

I got a 63 on shooting gallery on medium (which is same difficulty as hard)

It is? Didn’t know that. I got 50 because I shot too many women with babies :p Also got shot too many times when the targets show up 2 or 3 at the same time.

Gonna try again. Have to beat Crystal

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m in the middle of moving houses (and have a week of holiday coming up), and despite knowing this WELL in advance, I still had it “catch me by surprise”. I basically let time sneak up on me.

That means that I’ll be falling behind schedule from the get-go (again) and won’t be able to really catch up until early August… Unless I can convince the missus to bring the laptop on holiday, but I don’t think that one’s going to fly. Tongue

Piss-poor timing on my part, and something I should have foreseen during the voting process.

I will still participate, just a couple of weeks later than planned…
Sorry, Chrissie.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 19 July 2019 01:01 AM
stroggoff - 19 July 2019 12:24 AM

I got a 63 on shooting gallery on medium (which is same difficulty as hard)

It is? Didn’t know that. I got 50 because I shot too many women with babies :p Also got shot too many times when the targets show up 2 or 3 at the same time.

Gonna try again. Have to beat Crystal

Yes, I’m kind of responsible for it.
Basically there was a bug in the original code that made targets appear slowly and not according to their coded timings. Which is why to many people it seemed that even with ScummVM version (or the 3rd party fix) the targets would not appear (because it took quite a few seconds). But this bug affected the target timings in general and most likely the game was tested with this bug in it (maybe as a feature?)

Anyway, long story short, ScummVM keeps the original behavior only on Easy mode, while Normal and Hard have the new (fixed) behavior.

Also keep in mind that it is important to handle the targets correctly to get points, and also not to get shot by enemies. The correct handling of an enemy target is to shoot them when they have rotated towards McCoy (or started rotating) so that he can see that they hold a gun. If you shoot a target that has its back on McCoy and it turns out that it was an enemy target, McCoy won’t get the points.

There’s no definitive best score that you can achieve overall, because there is a mechanic that I call “bonus targets” which re-use a target for extra points, and those appear randomly (as do most targets). But anything above 80 is a good score and for some shooting range runs it’s possible to get a maximum of 90+ points.

Btw, if you’re playing the game without ScummVM then all difficulty modes should be the same level of difficulty in the maze (the targets will be quite slow overall). There will also be a few original bugs there that will make the game penalize you for shooting correctly certain targets or even get “stuck” in a maze room without the game acknowledging that it was completed.

Finally, the shooting range is just a side-thing to do in the game. It is entirely optional, but there is a fun little thing that can happen if you get a bit higher score than Steele but not a lot higher.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have completed task 2 by reaching act 2. Loving the atmosphere of the game so far.

Apparently, the Easy difficulty setting also makes it easy to achieve a high score in the shooting range. I got 75 on my second try and will probably not go in there again.

I did not manage to use the Voight-Kampff machine on anyone. What did I miss? The only individuals I saw the option on during act 1 was Runciter and Zuben. Zuben obviously fled when I tried it on him. When I tried clicking it on Runciter, nothing happened except the topic disappearing. Perhaps this is a bug with the ScummVM implementation that I should report?

Sympathizing with the replicants seems like the natural course for me, so I let Zuben get away after catching up with him in the corridor by the locked door.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Pegbiter - 19 July 2019 06:57 AM

I did not manage to use the Voight-Kampff machine on anyone. What did I miss? The only individuals I saw the option on during act 1 was Runciter and Zuben. Zuben obviously fled when I tried it on him. When I tried clicking it on Runciter, nothing happened except the topic disappearing. Perhaps this is a bug with the ScummVM implementation that I should report?

You didn’t miss out on any VK. The one available in Act 1, does not have to happen in Act 1 (it will be available in the following Acts, and it requires certain things to happen first for it to become available and those may or may not take a while for some people/playthroughs).

The VK option for Runciter was a bug that was fixed one day after the community playthrough had started. Sorry about that. That VK is available but only in the “Restored cut content version”.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

stroggoff - 19 July 2019 05:00 AM

Also keep in mind that it is important to handle the targets correctly to get points, and also not to get shot by enemies. The correct handling of an enemy target is to shoot them when they have rotated towards McCoy (or started rotating) so that he can see that they hold a gun. If you shoot a target that has its back on McCoy and it turns out that it was an enemy target, McCoy won’t get the points.

Yup, a bit difficult not to get shot when surrounded by 3 targets with guns lol. Also never knew you won’t get points for shooting a target in the back. Sometimes it’s easy to tell if a target is holding a gun before it turns around. Will keep it in mind Smile

Pegbiter - 19 July 2019 06:57 AM

I did not manage to use the Voight-Kampff machine on anyone. What did I miss? The only individuals I saw the option on during act 1 was [spoiler]Runciter and Zuben.

I VK’d Grigorian in his jail cell at police hq. It’s not an important one because Crystal already VK’d him earlier. Not sure if he’s there in every playthrough during act 1 (can’t remember) but he was there in my game. I think you first have to download his interrogations from the mainframe at police hq. You can then listen to them in KIA

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

stroggoff - 19 July 2019 07:12 AM

The VK option for Runciter was a bug that was fixed one day after the community playthrough had started. Sorry about that. That VK is available but only in the “Restored cut content version”.

Thanks! I updated to the latest daily build now.

McCoy97 - 19 July 2019 09:25 AM

I VK’d Grigorian in his jail cell at police hq. It’s not an important one because Crystal already VK’d him earlier. Not sure if he’s there in every playthrough during act 1 (can’t remember) but he was there in my game. I think you first have to download his interrogations from the mainframe at police hq. You can then listen to them in KIA

He was in the cell for me too. I did however not get to use the machine on him even after doing the things in your spoiler tags. It sound like I will get a chance to do so in a later act though.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Yeah everyone’s game is going to be a bit different.

Just for fun I reloaded my first save and did things a bit differently. I sympathized with the reps and let Zuben go. I then did the mainframe etc and tried talking to Grigorian but couldn’t VK him. Also couldn’t ask him any questions really. so it could possibly be because you’re following a different path, I dunno.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Hallelujah! its an amazing true adventure, 5/5 in my book.

..the talk about story driven adventures of ttg, 13 years after always made me sick, lol, i wonder why aint all site members joining in already Laughing

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I reached the beginning of Act 2 now.

I got a 62 on the shooting gallery and I was actually surprised I got this score because I struggled at the beginning, I wasn’t sure who was a threat and who wasn’t and I got shot a lot, but by the end I got the hang of it Smile

Also I retired Zuben on top of McCoy’s apartment building, but only because he started attacking me and I actually reacted because I hadn’t saved in a while! Talk about natural responses and reactions in a choice driven game. I usually have time to pause and think about my choices. Judging by other comments, the only way to let him go was to catch up to him on the alley in Chinatown? I stopped to ask the bum guy where Zuben went and then there was nobody in the empty warehouse by the time I got there.

So far I’m really enjoying it. Love the atmosphere and I’m actually surprised by the graphics. I haven’t play and older game in a while (more than 20 years old) so I didn’t expect it to hold this well imo

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

danigar - 19 July 2019 08:45 PM

Also I retired Zuben on top of McCoy’s apartment building, but only because he started attacking me and I actually reacted because I hadn’t saved in a while! Talk about natural responses and reactions in a choice driven game. I usually have time to pause and think about my choices. Judging by other comments, the only way to let him go was to catch up to him on the alley in Chinatown? I stopped to ask the bum guy where Zuben went and then there was nobody in the empty warehouse by the time I got there.

there is no escape retiring Zuben in the end afterall, but it will ad up later when we meet Clovis and Sadik, those latter are definitely avoidable, tho at my last replay i couldnt remember how could i avoid Sadik which i ended up retiring him. 
about retiring Zuben him at the alley, no, this is not any of the scenarios in the game.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

danigar - 19 July 2019 08:45 PM

So far I’m really enjoying it. Love the atmosphere and I’m actually surprised by the graphics. I haven’t play and older game in a while (more than 20 years old) so I didn’t expect it to hold this well imo

Yeah I don’t think you can spare Zuben if he attacks you at the apartment. Don’t know why. So if you wanted to spare all reps in the game you’ll have to reload, ignore the bum and then you should find Zuben in the warehouse.

And yeah the graphics still look pretty damn good. It blew me away when I first played the game in the 90s. Except for the ugly characters. They were ugly even in ‘97 haha.

As for the shooting range, I tried again and got a decent score of 69. Happy with that lol but I’ll probably have to try again in act 2. For those who want to stay at the top of the leader board, Crystal is gonna have another go and beat your score in act 2 no matter what. She’s probably gonna have a score in the 70s which will be hard to beat. If you beat her second score though you’ll stay on top for the rest of the game (I think).

Sucks that Deckard is at the bottom with the lowest score haha. I would have thought he’d be higher.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

The important thing you have to do to catch up with Zuben in Chinatown is to dodge the hot soup. Interacting with the homeless guy won’t mess up encountering Zuben if you then go into the abandoned building. And there are some interesting options for the homeless man.

If Zuben ambushes McCoy on the roof then, yeah he’s there to kill McCoy and there’s no option to “spare” him any more. Same thing will happen if you take a shot at Zuben while chasing him in Chinatown (before he reaches the abandoned warehouse, or at the warehouse).
And if you want to play McCoy as a jerk you can spare Zuben and then shoot him at the back while he’s running scared

All the actors are on a schedule which is real-time (-ish), so for example Steele may try the shooting range whenever she’s at the Police Station. She’ll have a go at beating McCoy’s score if it’s close to hers, but not if McCoy’s got a quite high score.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I dodged the soup as always, then stopped to chat with the homeless dude (didn’t give him money because I’m poor lol) and searched the dumpster but Zuben wasn’t in the abandoned building. I think there’s some sort of time limit. Dilly dally or fail to dodge the soup and Zuben will be gone and waiting on the rooftops. Or at least that’s what I always thought.

I remember when I first played the game I shot the homeless guy :p

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top