• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Tennis-wise the match wasn’t much (Blasphemy!!!), but it was one hell of a psychological warfare. Naughty
I like the way Goran Ivanisevic summed it up.

On topic: did anyone else missed alt-tabbing in Obra Dinn?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 17 July 2019 02:28 PM

On topic: did anyone else missed alt-tabbing in Obra Dinn?

Alt-Tab worked fine for me. And there’s of course the Windows key on your keyboard.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Watching you two play the banter game makes me want to reconsider my decision not to play the game. Unfortunately, it’s still not available on GOG. They do what they need to do in order to maximize distribution. But I wish developers would not limit themselves to single distribution channels.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 17 July 2019 09:02 PM

Watching you two play the banter game makes me want to reconsider my decision not to play the game. Unfortunately, it’s still not available on GOG. They do what they need to do in order to maximize distribution. But I wish developers would not limit themselves to single distribution channels.

Return of the Obra Dinn has been available at GOG from the start. I don’t understand why you can’t find it. All you have to do is type gog.com in your browser, press enter, click on the search button (the magnifying glass on the right), type the name of the game (or just obra dinn), and then you see this:

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 17 July 2019 04:58 PM

Alt-Tab worked fine for me. And there’s of course the Windows key on your keyboard.

Believe me, neither one works on my computer (although I’ve used alt-tabbing successfully in all the games I have played up till now).
I forgot about the Win key (I seldom use it on its own), but when I tried it in Obra Dinn a couple of minutes ago it also didn’t work.
I’m on Win 7 (64-bit), maybe that’s it.

Edit 1: Looks like I’m not alone, check these.

Edit 2: And here’s the solution for all the interested: switch to windowed mode with Alt+Enter first.
God, I Heart The Internet and Google.

Karlok - 17 July 2019 10:06 PM

type gog.com in your browser, press enter, click on the search button, type the name of the game

Ah, you kids and you incomprehensible clandestine procedures…  Wink

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn has been available at GOG from the start.

Yep, got in on GOG myself.

On a totally different topic, a very very little thing that’s been bothering me ever since I’ve read stuff about Obra Dinn after finishing my playthrough has been the references to the frenchman, which everybody called Miner. The reason it’s been bothering me is because Miner doesn’t really sound french, in my opinion. And then I went back and replayed my (french) version of the game, and sure enough the guy is called Minel, which sounds frenchier.
I think it’s funny that the french translators took the liberty to change this one name when all the others stayed the same.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 18 July 2019 11:35 AM

On a totally different topic, a very very little thing that’s been bothering me ever since I’ve read stuff about Obra Dinn after finishing my playthrough has been the references to the frenchman, which everybody called Miner. The reason it’s been bothering me is because Miner doesn’t really sound french, in my opinion. And then I went back and replayed my (french) version of the game, and sure enough the guy is called Minel, which sounds frenchier.
I think it’s funny that the french translators took the liberty to change this one name when all the others stayed the same.

Interesting. I think the translators should have told Lucas Pope the name didn’t sound French, so he could change it for all languages.

I know nothing about Mandarin and other Chinese languages, but I read that the Formosans never call each other by name. Apparently that would be culturally incorrect or impolite or something. So Beng does not say “Miss Lim”, just Miss. Makes me wonder how Chinese players are supposed to identify the Formosans by name, apart from Hok Seng Lau.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’ve never heard of a single Russian named Alarcus. That’s not a Slavic name at all.
I’m surprised that the Russian consultant for Obra Dinn (Nikita Ordynskiy) had no objection to it.
Also, did anyone solve a mystery of “Siera Leona”? Which country is that?

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 18 July 2019 01:53 PM

Also, did anyone solve a mystery of “Siera Leona”? Which country is that?

It’s Sierra Leone.

Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Hey, that’s what I’ve already said:

zobraks - 12 July 2019 07:39 AM

“Siera Leona” (I strongly believe that’s Sierra Leone, in Africa)

But do you have a theory of your own?

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 18 July 2019 01:53 PM

I’ve never heard of a single Russian named Alarcus. That’s not a Slavic name at all.
I’m surprised that the Russian consultant for Obra Dinn (Nikita Ordynskiy) had no objection to it.

HA! I switched to Russian for a moment just now and checked nr 46 on the crew list. It says Alexander, not Alarcus. Hey, how’s that for someone who doesn’t speak a word of Russian? Smile That leaves the question why on earth this guy is called Alarcus in English.

And don’t you dare say anything negative about Nikita Ordynskiy!

He’s a filmmaker and he made the marvelous short movie Papers Please, loosely based on parts from Lucas Pope’s previous game. Watch it on youtube if you can spare 10 minutes. He also voiced the other Russian seaman in Obra Dinn.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Siera Leona is a strange one. Leona is lion in Spanish, but mountain to which the nation’s name refers is “sierra”, not siera. And the country was never under Spanish rule.

Then again, you would not expect sailors circa 1800 to be entirely literate.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

cyfoyjvx - 18 July 2019 04:25 PM

Then again, you would not expect sailors circa 1800 to be entirely literate.

The manifest is one of the purser’s responsibilities and he should certainly be literate. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there was such a thing as uniform spelling in 1803.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

On this translation note, in my version when non english characters are talking there’s a translation next to the original non english (well, french in my case, but you get my drift) script.
Isn’t it kind of cheating, since the investigator we’re impersonating probably wouldn’t have been able to understand Hindi or Russian (or the german languages, presumably) ?
Perhaps it would have made the game too difficult for a few characters though, I don’t know.

Of course, the mere fact that people are talking in their original languages/dialects is amazing, and I’ve always wished movies and TV series would do the same… I’m really tired of hearing the bad guys talk among themselves in broken english.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

rtrooney - 17 July 2019 09:02 PM

Return of the Obra Dinn has been available at GOG from the start. I don’t understand why you can’t find it. All you have to do is type gog.com in your browser, press enter, click on the search button (the magnifying glass on the right), type the name of the game (or just obra dinn), and then you see this:

I got that. In fact I got it once before, but didn’t remember how I got there. I prefer GOG over Steam for multiple reasons. But the interface is not always intuitive. And neither is Steam’s.

I think as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more frugal. My mother was a Scotch Presbyterian, which is about as frugal as frugal can get. I remember spending around $50 for FPFP when it first came out. Close to $70 for Phantasmagoria. So Obra Din at $19.99 should be a no-brainer. But it’s not.

I’m just not convinced yet that I will like it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top