• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 15 July 2019 06:36 AM

And I love your avatar, even though I now have to change mine.

Why change yours? Smile  I’ll keep THE CAPTAIN (he deserves it) for only a day week or two and then it’s back to Tony Clifton (my favo(u)rite movie character).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Wouldn’t this be a more appropriate choice of captain? Grin

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Haha! That’s a good one!

But this one is better:

BTW, I chose the captain Witterel in order to not go too off-topic.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Grin

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 15 July 2019 08:34 AM

Wouldn’t this be a more appropriate choice of captain? Grin

Great pic, but no, it would not be more appropriate. Federer’s total score was higher.  Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Ok, I stand corrected and I’ll change my avatar* to this:

Innocent

*Actually it’s Karlok’s avatar, that I usurped (for a short time).

P.S. That’s a great new avatar, Karlok!

On topic:

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

zobraks - 15 July 2019 12:58 AM

More comments after I get back from performing some duties.

For starters, I’d like to say something no one has ever said:

Lucas Pope is a Genius!

Karlok - 19 March 2019 09:38 AM

Lucas Pope is a genius. Smile

TimovieMan - 19 March 2019 12:02 PM

Lucas Pope is a genius.

Oops.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And to think that without this CPT, Return of the Obra Dinn would’ve wound up on my backlog and I’d probably never have gotten around to it…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 16 July 2019 01:52 AM
zobraks - 15 July 2019 12:58 AM

More comments after I get back from performing some duties.

For starters, I’d like to say something no one has ever said:

Lucas Pope is a Genius!

And how did you feel about the story, which someone in another thread described as “not all that exceptional” and “a fairly ordinary sea adventure”?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The story of the Obra Dinn challenges YOU to figure out what happened, so I reckon there are as many stories of Obra Dinn as there are players of it, since we all have different imaginations and cognitive abilities.
I wouldn’t say it’s the best story I’ve heard in my life, but it sure isn’t the most ordinary one too. It wasn’t the story that bought me (although I liked it), but the extraordinary way you play the game. At first you don’t know anything about what’s in store for you and then you get to start learning the game’s ropes and that learning is (or at least it was for me) one of the best sides of this game. The interface is strange but intuitive and you have to learn it well to play the Obra Dinn the way it was meant to be played (I believe). I’ve finished it and I still don’t fully comprehend some of the game’s features.
In fact, I feel that only now that I’ve finished the game I’m ready to play it like it was meant to be played. Sounds idiotic? Call me an idiot but that’s how I feel, and I’m really looking forward to replaying the Obra Dinn (hopefully some time soon). The second time around I would try to find and really enjoy (without rush, although I hardly rushed it the first time) all the tiny details spread all around the ship.
I strongly feel that the Obra Dinn has a lot more to offer to me.

TimovieMan - 16 July 2019 04:09 AM

And to think that without this CPT, Return of the Obra Dinn would’ve wound up on my backlog and I’d probably never have gotten around to it…

Yes, that’s the curse of us all. No matter how many adventure games you’ve played there are still hidden gems waiting to be discovered.

Twenty years ago I had a feeling I’d get to play almost everything that’s worth playing when it comes to adventure games (I seldom play any other genre), but now I’m not sure. There are many new titles (on top of a huge pile of old AGs I haven’t played), so it’s the same situation like with books: I stand in front of my shelves knowing that sadly I’ll never get to read them all. Frown

By the way, is it only my impression or Return of the Obra Dinn has been discussed all over these forums, in almost every topic.
I wonder what good folks from this thread are waiting for. Crazy

P.S. Lately I play only a few AGs a year, but the magnitude of the (pretty well deserved) HYPE at Adventure Game Forums forced me to play the OD as soon as possible. Thanks to all the folks that made that happen.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 16 July 2019 07:56 AM

The story of the Obra Dinn challenges YOU to figure out what happened, so I reckon there are as many stories of Obra Dinn as there are players of it, since we all have different imaginations and cognitive abilities.

Some aspects of the story are left intionally vague, that’s true. But filling in the gaps should be based on the game’s info, not on fantasies. 

The second time around I would try to find and really enjoy (without rush, although I hardly rushed it the first time) all the tiny details spread all around the ship.

I discovered a few new details on my second playthrough. Like two nice but non-essential details that have to do with the Russian topman. Which you may have seen already for all I know.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 17 July 2019 07:22 AM

I discovered a few new details on my second playthrough. Like two nice but non-essential details that have to do with the Russian topman. Which you may have seen already for all I know.

Nope, I don’t remember any interesting details about Mr. Volkov.

Now, most of us who had played the game have only praised it. I have one gripe about it: it’s not Alt+Tab friendly!
For me it’s a serious flaw, because every time I had to check my notes I had to quit playing and get out of the game. You may argue that all the tools I needed for keeping track of those fates were in the game (which is true), but I still like to do some things MY WAY, and a lot of alt-tabbing is needed for that.

This is the only flaw of the game I can think of.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 15 July 2019 08:42 AM

But this one is better:

Fix’d.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Hehe. You won’t believe it, but I had the idea to use Miroslava like you did. Laughing
She was more interesting to watch during the match than both Roger and Novak. Tongue
Poor woman.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 17 July 2019 02:15 PM

She was more interesting to watch during the match than both Roger and Novak. Tongue

She was the main star of the match*, no doubt. I believe she and Novak’s uncle had more camera time than the players. Angry

*what a f… match! Saving 2 MPs on grass when returning is unheard of. Beating US Open 2011 match. Beating everything I’ve seen in this or any other sport. (and I’ve seen plenty)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top