• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordzskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I couldn’t find a thread on the latest Layton game, and since there are a few things I need to get off my chest (having just finished it) I figured I’d make one.

There’s nothing to say about the gameplay. More of the same, both good and bad. But the story left me feeling nauseous. Literally sick to the stomach.

[spoiler]So, we start with two teenagers, Randall and Henry. They’re the same age, but Randall is the son of a lord, while Henry is one of the servants in the household. Randall is so full of himself that he fancies himself an archaeologist and goes to explore some old ruins. But, being more concerned with glory than his own safety, he manages to fall into a dark pit. Henry won’t believe that “master Randall” is dead, so he decides to go into the ruins, where he finds the treasure. He puts the money in Randall’s name and uses it to (1) build an entire city, dramatically increasing the amount of money in the process and (2) support Randall’s parents (because they lost all their money after their son was lost). Furthermore, he pretends to marry Randall’s girlfriend (but doesn’t actually touch her), so that no other man may claim her until Randall returns. (Yeah, women are like virgin land: you can claim them; first come, first serve!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]20 years later, Randall, who had been suffering from amnesia after his fall, recovers his memories. He thinks that Henry has “stolen” his life. (Erm, inbred prick? He found the treasure, and he managed to make a shitload of money out of it. Not you.) And so he begin exacting his revenge on Henry, almost killing thousands of people in the process. Layton stops him at the last minute and explains everything. And then Henry steps down, leaving everything to Randall, because a pat on the back from “master Randall” (yeah, he’s still calling him that) is worth all the money in the world. And so the natural order is restored: the high-born idiot recovers his title, his (unspoiled) trophy wife and his Henry’s fortune, while the base-born servant, now a penniless nobody, can go back to serving tea to his betters. All’s well that ends well and Layton and his groupies can leave in the Laytonmobile![/spoiler]

Seriously, who writes this kind of shit?!! Who writes this kind of shit IN THE 21ST CENTURY?!!! I don’t expect puzzle games made for kids and housewives to offer any kind of deep political commentary on social classes, but basing the whole thing on some putrid, 18th-century world-view?! Seriously?! What’s the next episode going to be about? Blacks going back to sitting at the back of the bus, and thanking Layton for it?

Am I the only one who felt that way about it?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

lol,, I haven’t played any of the professor layton games, and reading this has convinced me to keep it that way.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So far, there are six adventure games released on the 3DS:

Hollywood Crimes

Dr Lautec

NCIS

Layton

Zero Escape

Myst

I have all 6 and have enjoyed them. I have finally gotten so far into the Layton game that the story has revealed itself - this is about 13 hours in. To me the game is good and pretty typical for the series. The story is not the best, the last one before this I thought was lacking in story too.

The best Layton for story was the first, after that they go down hill.

Once again, the best one for me was the first one: The Curious Village. If you have never played a Layton game start there.

When I finish this Layton I’ll replay the first one - I liked the origonal that much.

Laughing

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Just started the new Professor Layton, didn’t see a topic so decided to start one.

I think it’s set after the Last Spectre game and before the original trilogy but I’m starting to have a hard time keeping track of the games. Glad to see Emmy is back.

First impressions:
The animation of the intro is wonderful as always with the familiar awesome soundtrack. The new models in 3D in the game part looked a little weird at first.

Also the gameplay changed a bit I think, instead of randomly clicking on the screen looking for puzzles and coins you have to search for hotspots in first-person. The puzzles I’ve seen so far are the usual fare with a weird action sequence at the beginning that was not very good, but thankfully short.

Can´t wait to see what completely over-the-top plot twist we will see in this one

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I’ve been playing it a little while my PC was dead last week, and the game seems good. I like the quality of the Layton series. The 3D characters didn’t bother me, on the contrary I thought it was good. The game is very beautiful. A shame that I don’t activate the 3D effect too much because it makes me dizzy after a long period. The “new” exploration gameplay is better than the original one in my opinion, even if, in the end, it doesn’t change that much the game itself.
What I don’t like is the voices. The first Layton on NDS had the english voices, then they decided to localize with french voices and I really prefered the english ones. I loved the way Luke was shouting “Professor !”, I thought it was quite funny. Now, it’s less lively in french…
I don’t know about the story yet. It doesn’t seem to be the best of the series. The Curious Village was better I think. Probably because it was more… curious ! lol
I must have completed half of the game right now, but I won’t have time to play for a while.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 14 November 2012 05:42 AM

Just started the new Professor Layton, didn’t see a topic so decided to start one.

You can’t have looked very hard. Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 14 November 2012 12:27 PM

Merged!

Simon_ASA - 14 November 2012 09:42 AM

What I don’t like is the voices. The first Layton on NDS had the english voices, then they decided to localize with french voices and I really prefered the english ones. I loved the way Luke was shouting “Professor !”, I thought it was quite funny. Now, it’s less lively in french…

I know what you mean.

The Curious Village was in English here, but Pandora’s Box and the Unwound Future were localised in Dutch. And not just Flemish Dutch, but Dutch Dutch, which frankly makes it even worse.
I didn’t want the Spectre’s Call to be in Dutch too, so I ordered it in England instead.

I’ll do the same for Miracle Mask once I get a 3DS - I want to play it in English, and if that can’t happen, then I’d still prefer Japanese with English subs over a localised version…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 14 November 2012 12:27 PM

Oh my…

Sorry

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 November 2012 07:41 PM

There’s nothing to say about the gameplay. More of the same, both good and bad. But the story left me feeling nauseous. Literally sick to the stomach.

I’m really just at the beginning so I didn’t read the spoiler, but I’m getting nervous thinking about what is coming this time Smile

Concerning the localization, I’m glad my country doesn’t translate Nintendo games for now, the voices are part of the charm in this case.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Mikekelly - 04 November 2012 08:38 PM

So far, there are six adventure games released on the 3DS:

Hollywood Crimes

Dr Lautec

NCIS

Layton

Zero Escape

Myst

I have all 6 and have enjoyed them.

How is Myst 3DS? Is it pretty much a straight port or is it like RealMyst?

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Haha, thanks for the pointed summary, Kurufinwe. I probably will never play this game - don’t own a 3DS and don’t plan to - but the story sounds hilariously backwards, like the author aches for good old-fashioned order in a strictly hierarchical social class system. Who knows if this was intentional, but it’s there.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 14 November 2012 01:51 PM

The Curious Village was in English here, but Pandora’s Box and the Unwound Future were localised in Dutch. And not just Flemish Dutch, but Dutch Dutch, which frankly makes it even worse.

I hate Dutch localisations and I’d hate Flemish Dutch ones even more if I’d ever bought one. Which I haven’t. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 15 November 2012 07:50 AM

I’d hate Flemish Dutch ones even more

I’m sure you would. It’s pretty far from what you’re used to hearing.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

First of All, Professor Layton and Zero Escape are both up for Handheld game of the year at Gamespot.

This is a big deal, both these games are very popular adventure games that are among the very best adventure games released in 2012.

“How is Myst 3DS? Is it pretty much a straight port or is it like RealMyst?”

It is a 2D direct port of Myst. Very similar to my 3DO version I played in the 90s. It does have an additional age to explore that is not in my 3DO version. I like it - but I did play it on a 3DS XL and it looked and played great.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished it this week, it was ok, some new stuff that I liked - exploring the ruins as young Layton was different - but it all felt too familiar with too much repetition on the puzzles. The production values were still top notch but the plot is a bit of a mess has Kuru explains in the OP and it lacks an outrageous twist by the end… Randall being the Masked Gentleman was supposed to be a surprise? And the part in the last big hotel at the end was really small, probably rushed

Can’t wait for Layton vs Phoenix Wright. it will probably be a very different game.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Professor Layton and Zero Escape were both nominated for Handheld game of the year. Zero Effect won. And a great choice I might add:

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/platform-awards/index.html?page=7

The fact that an adventure game won this award is very significant. Layton games sell millions of copies and games like “Zero Eecape” win lots of awards. 2012 was a great year for adventure games and I hope 2013 is as good.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top