• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 11 July 2019 06:59 PM

I guess you’ll have finished the game when you read this.

No, didn’t finish it yet (I typed my previous post before going to sleep last night). I plan to take a break and tackle the game later (maybe after the Wimbldon finals).
Making pauses had always helped me: I refresh myself, the good ol’ brain recharges and works with sparks flying (!)

The last week I took a couple of days break and after that I rushed from 15 to 4 unsolved fates.
I’m pretty sure the last two are the Third Mate and Ship’s Steward and that their fates are decided in lazarette in chapter VIII. The Swedish cook stewart had been imprisoned in lazarette with those siren ladies with three pairs of tits (they’re obviously some kind of monsters, only monster males can have three pairs of hands). Something nasty will happen there. Btw, what did this Swede do to the poor seaman John Naples? At first I thought he bit the sailor’s leg off, there’s a lot of blood around, but there’s a sword lying there on the floor, he must’ve cut the seaman’s leg with that sword. However, the game doesn’t accept this.
One more obvious death is the one of the Indian guy, ship’s steward, who had been “spiked by the terrible beast”, namely he died the same way as the cook, but for some reason (a bug?) the game won’t accept that as correct.
How else could he die? I mean, there’s a huge spike protruding from him, he’s bleeding like a pig and crawling through port walk toward his death, and a game needs another cause of death.
Reminds me of a replica from “Only Fools and Horses…”:

This is something! A rhinoceros has escaped from a zoo! There are 300 dead bodies covered in rhinoceros footprints! There’s a lock-up garage two and ‘arf foot deep in rhinoceros crap and Charlton Heston suspects the butler!!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 July 2019 06:21 AM

One more obvious death is the one of the Indian guy, ship’s steward, who had been “spiked by the terrible beast”, namely he died the same way as the cook, but for some reason (a bug?) the game won’t accept that as correct.

Heh… nope, it’s not a bug. I’m sure you’ll solve it after the Wimbledon finals.

(My own guilty pleasure is the Tour de France. I’m soooooo glad that Froome is not participating this year! Now we can finally have a real Tour.)

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m glad it’s not a bug. This game has been so perfect up till now.

Karlok - 12 July 2019 06:37 AM

My own guilty pleasure is the Tour de France.

Guess what - I’m watching that too. When tennis is on I switch to TdF during breaks, when there’s no Wimbledon I watch cycling. I like Nairo Quintana for some reason (he won Giro in 2014 or 2015, and that’s the only cycling race I watched in full, maybe that’s it.)

And I don’t like Froome for some reason. I like that Welsh bastard, Geraint Thomas. He looks like someone with moxie.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 July 2019 06:40 AM

I’m glad it’s not a bug. This game has been so perfect up till now.

Thumbs Up
I gave it 5 stars.

Guess what - I’m watching that too. When tennis is on I switch to TdF during breaks, when there’s no Wimbledon I watch cycling. I like Nairo Quintana for some reason (he won Giro in 2014 or 2015, and that’s the only cycling race I watched in full, maybe that’s it.)

And I don’t like Froome for some reason. I like that Welsh bastard, Geraint Thomas. He looks like someone with moxie.

I don’t like Froome either. Always polite and nondescript, the perfect English gentleman. Always keeping an eye on his little meters, all brains and science, no heart and emotions. I’m a woman, so I love Sagan.  Heart Eyes Well, who doesn’t.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Hey Karlok, you have to set your quotes in the last message straight.
Edit: Never mind, I see you did it.

One more about TdF, and that’s it:
Carl Peter Sagan. I like him too. He seems to be from one of those Slavic countries - Slovenia, Slovakia, Slavonia, Slobovia… I wonder how those folks know in which country they live.  Sarcastic

Sorry for the off-topic, folks. I’ll tune in with more blabber about the Obra Dinn as soon as I find out who killed the Swedish chef steward.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 July 2019 07:01 AM

One more about TdF, and that’s it:
Carl Peter Sagan. I like him too. He seems to be from one of those Slavic countries - Slovenia, Slovakia, Slavonia, Slobovia… I wonder how those folks know in which country they live.  Sarcastic

Thank God I’m not a Slabonian like you. Tongue

I watched a couple of Obra Dinn playthroughs on youtube and American players say things like “Denmark has its own language, right?” and “where the hell is Morocco?”

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Haha! Speaking of countries, nations and races: many a time I made a mistake in Obra Dinn by assuming some character was from a country/nation/race he wasn’t. Some Englishmen looked like Chinese and vice versa. The biggest riddle for me was to guess the guy from “Siera Leona” (I strongly believe that’s Sierra Leone, in Africa): I was dead sure it was the guy who turned out to be an Englishman! And Sierra Leonian turned out to be some chap I thought was from China.

Either I’m a bit of an American myself , or the guy who had made/drawn those people has a feeble knowledge of how the average people in some countries/regions (in XVIII/XIX century) look(ed) like.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Zobraks in this playthrough:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

You mean I can’t swim?

But I’m BARGAINing at the moment*! Yipppppie!!!

I should have known by now (after 25 hours of playing the Obra Dinn) that deaths in this game can be deceiving and that no one is dead until he’s REALLY dead (just like in real life). That went for Zungi Sathi (ship’s steward) too.

By the way, I bet many of the players thought that Huang Li (topman) died when he fell from the rigging to his death. I was dead sure he was killed by the lightning strike and that he was already dead when he hit that big thing on the deck.

*Yes, I couldn’t resist. The semifinal matches at Wimbledon were relatively short and I had the whole evening to figure out where I went wrong before.

P.S. The beauty of this game is that all you need in order to deduce all those fates is somewhere there, right in front of your nose. You only need to watch carefully and think about the stuff you see.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 July 2019 04:30 PM

But I’m BARGAINing at the moment*! Yipppppie!!!

I should have known by now (after 25 hours of playing the Obra Dinn) that deaths in this game can be deceiving and that no one is dead until he’s REALLY dead (just like in real life). That went for Zungi Sathi (ship’s steward) too.

By the way, I bet many of the players thought that Huang Li (topman) died when he fell from the rigging to his death. I was dead sure he was killed by the lightning strike and that he was already dead when he hit that big thing on the deck.

Hm, don’t know, I never doubted he was killed by lightning. It’s a great scene and you can mark all those guys in the rigging as “unknown topmen”, which was very useful. BTW being Dutch should have been an advantage for tattoo guy Maba. When I was in primary school in the fifties we had to learn stuff about former colonies (yeah, I know…, don’t tell me) so I immediately recognized him as a Papuan from New Guinea with tribal tattoos. But for some reason I didn’t trust my memory and later I walked into the Charles Miner trap, because he got torn apart and tattoo man also got torn apart. Frown

P.S. The beauty of this game is that all you need in order to deduce all those fates is somewhere there, right in front of your nose. You only need to watch carefully and think about the stuff you see.

Yes! Smile
Have you finished The Bargain, can we talk about it?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 13 July 2019 08:58 PM

tattoo guy Maba

He’s been one of the first whose fate I deciphered.
Here’s the order in which I figured out the fates:

1. captain Robert Witterel 2. first mate William Hoscut 3. artist Edward Spratt 4. topman Maba 5. topman Nicholas Botterill 6. seaman Soloman Syed 7. passenger Nunzio Pasqua 8. gunner Christian Wolff 9. passenger Abigail Hoscut Witterell 10. topman Leonid Volkov 11. butcher Emil O’Farrell 12. third mate’s steward Roderick Andersen 13. topman Timothy Butement 14. passenger Bun-Lan Lim 15. midshipman Charles Hershtik 16. midshipman Peter Milroy 17. surgeon’s mate James Wallace 18. first mate’s steward Paul Moss 19. passenger Chioh Tan 20. second mate Edward Nichols 21. gunner’s mate Olus Wiater 22. passenger It-Beng Sia 23. carpenter’s mate Marcus Gibbs 24. carpenter Winston Smith 25. seaman Henry Brennan 26. fourth mate John Davies 27. passenger Hok-Seng Lau 28. midshipman Thomas Lanke 29. second mate’s steward Samuel Galligan 30. cook Thomas Sefton 31. purser Duncan McKay 32. topman Omid Gul 33. helmsman Finley Dalton 34. passenger Miss Jane Bird 35. passenger Emily Jackson 36. fourth mate’s steward Davey James 37. topman Lewis Walker 38. surgeon Henry Evans 39. bosun’s mate Charles Miner 40. seaman Samuel Peters 41. seaman Nathan Peters 42. seaman Lars Linde 43. seaman Abraham Akbar 44. seaman Renfred Rajub 45. seaman William Wasim 46. seaman Alarcus Nikishin 47. seaman Aleksei Toporov 48. seaman Hamadou Diom 49. topman Jie Zhang 50. topman Li Hong 51. seaman Patrick O’Hagan 52. topman Huang Li 53. topman Wei Lee 54. seaman Alexander Booth 55. bosun Alfred Klestil 56. seaman George Shirley 57. seaman John Naples 58. ship’s steward Zungi Sathi
BTW, that gunner’s mate Olus Wiater fellow looked like a Top Banana to me all the time: he’s everywhere and in command, his outfit is smarter than anybody else’s on the ship. I thought he had been a retired General or an Admiral or something like that. Grin

When I was in primary school in the fifties we had to learn stuff about former colonies

Why, you Imperialists!

yeah, I know…, don’t tell me

Oops… Sorry.

Have you finished The Bargain, can we talk about it?

I just unwinded the IV chapter (all its parts) and stopped. We’ll talk about the last two fates and what happened in the lazarette in a day or two. Today’s THE BIG FINAL, remember?
And I have (uninvited) guests… Sick

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 14 July 2019 01:44 AM

Here’s the order in which I figured out the fates:

Oh wow! I should have realized you would keep a list. That is so you. Smile And a very interesting one too. You must be the only person who figured out the first mate BEFORE his sister! Did you have a problem with Abigail? And how did you get the fates of the women and the 4th mate’s steward correct when the surgeon’s fate is the only clue to their destination? And of course I want to know all about you and Maba.

BTW, that gunner’s mate Olus Wiater fellow looked like a Top Banana to me all the time: he’s everywhere and in command, his outfit is smarter than anybody else’s on the ship. I thought he had been a retired General or an Admiral or something like that. Grin

Personally, I think the captain looks a lot smarter. Cool Olus was a combination of elimination and his accent for me. He just had to be an officer. I had much more problems with the people I mentioned in a previous post.

Why, you Imperialists!

Yeah, terrible. We had our own East India Company and fought a lot with the British. I suppose you could call them trade wars, but they were fought with guns.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I think the beauty of the game is that it’s mostly gaps. You stare at and circle around a scene which is often baffling, and questioned what’s happening, what happened in the past to lead up to this and what’s going to happen after. Sometimes your mind can be processing things for 10 minutes, in the same scene. Simply because there is more unknown than there is known. Which means it’s really satisfying to figure out what’s going on.

I think that’s what good game development is. It’s setting up an interactive environment for your mind to explore of its own volition. And in well designed environments the mind will find a lot to discover. Because the developer has realized that what the player brings to the game is more important than what the developer brings.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I agree.

Karlok - 14 July 2019 06:08 AM

Oh wow! I should have realized you would keep a list. That is so you. Smile

Yeah, it is so me, indeed. But I didn’t keep the list - I made the list specially & exclusivelly for this thread, and I made it by browsing through some 3K of screenshots I’ve made during the gameplay (and THAT is also so me).

Karlok - 14 July 2019 06:08 AM

You must be the only person who [spoiler]figured out the first mate BEFORE his sister! Did you have a problem with Abigail?[spoiler]

The first mate’s destiny is the first you learn of, it all starts with the captain shooting his brother-in-law (at the time you don’t know how they’re related, of course, but you learn it very soon), and I’ve encountered the captain’s suicide scene (where he explains whom he had shot and refers to his wife; from the list of passengers and crew you learn that two persons have the surname of Hoscut and captain’s wife is a sister of the man he had shot (as he said before suicide) so they must have the same surname, ergo…) before I’ve bumped into Abigail’s corpse. Maybe I don’t remember it well, or I’m not explaining it well, but the first mate’s destiny and identity were no mystery at the time.
I also had no problem with Abigail and her destiny. It was well drawn.

More comments after I get back from performing some duties.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 15 July 2019 12:58 AM

Yeah, it is so me, indeed. But I didn’t keep the list - I made the list specially & exclusivelly for this thread, and I made it by browsing through some 3K of screenshots I’ve made during the gameplay (and THAT is also so me).

Yeah, perhaps it’s even more you.
And I love your avatar, even though I now have to change mine.

You are of course correct about Abigail and her brother, mea culpa.

More comments after I get back from performing some duties.

Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top