• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #53 Whispers of a Machine

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played it twice and got both endings. the ending where you got the child was classic. Didn’t see that coming. The game is also amazing for the dream (ghost) sequences. So well done. I myself give the game a well deserved 4.5 stars.

Now with several well loved games under your belt - What next?

Players - you have until Sunday to finish the game. This should be an easy accomplishment, I put the total playtime of the game at about 10 hours.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-05-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 25 June 2019 01:17 PM

Also I felt the game kept setting up valter to do something and he never does really lol.

He does play a slightly larger role in one of the branching story lines Smile

I’m gonna save the rest of my thoughts and discussion points until after most people have finished their playthrough and given their feedback.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Mikekelly - 25 June 2019 07:26 PM

Players - you have until Sunday to finish the game. This should be an easy accomplishment, I put the total playtime of the game at about 10 hours.

Really? Steam put me at 6 hours.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 26 June 2019 02:01 AM

Really? Steam put me at 6 hours.

Same here, 6 hours.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Most players clock around 5-6 hours in their first playthrough.

Mikekelly - 25 June 2019 07:26 PM

Now with several well loved games under your belt - What next?

I’m currently a couple of weeks into pre-production of my next solo game, but it’s way too early to give any details Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Reviewers are posting 8-12 hours.

Depends on how long it takes you to solve the puzzles, some paths may take longer as well.

Some people may do more exploring too, check everything out.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Finished the game. I activated Fenrir but did not keep the baby.

All in all I like it, it’s a good solid game set in an interesting game world with lots to recommend it. The Aug mechanics were good on the whole. Two of the basic ones could be used pretty much anytime/anywhere (Scanner and Bio-metric scanner) which was good, but the others were used so specifically (at least the ones I had) that they were sort of inventory items really rather than ‘abilities’ in their use. Not a criticism, it was fine, just an observation.

If I have one criticism it would be a slight lack of story depth with characters. I kind of agree with Jdawg, not so much about the ending being rushed, but just a slight lack of available depth:

Jdawg445 - 25 June 2019 01:17 PM

I felt like we needed to know more about stina, and what she actually wanted, I felt that was kind of ambiguous, I wish we could have learned more about her in her apartment like how we learned about the world in the museum.

Also I felt the game kept setting up valter to do something and he never does really lol.

I get that this is basically a two man team and it’s unrealistic to ask for everything, but it says something about how good the game is that we’re interested enough to want to know more about these characters and see more of them.

Leaving stuff up to the player’s imagination/interpretation is fine to a point, but some more solid information about some of these characters would have been good.

All in all, I think I would say that it is an improvement on Kathy Rain and The Samaritan Paradox in a number of ways, and I’m looking forwards to seeing what you guys come up with next, together or separately!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

FaravidInteractive - 09 June 2019 02:39 AM

EDIT:
Nevermind, I’ll PM Rtrooney instead, I doubt anyone else is interested in this saffron affair…

Never got that PM. Whether anyone is interested in the “saffron affair” is beside the point. It’s illogical. And I dislike lack of logic. It’s best that I did not participate.

Loved the KR playthrough. Too bad this did not live up to expectations.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 27 June 2019 08:38 PM
FaravidInteractive - 09 June 2019 02:39 AM

EDIT:
Nevermind, I’ll PM Rtrooney instead, I doubt anyone else is interested in this saffron affair…

Never got that PM. Whether anyone is interested in the “saffron affair” is beside the point. It’s illogical. And I dislike lack of logic. It’s best that I did not participate.

Loved the KR playthrough. Too bad this did not live up to expectations.

Not illogical at all, but sorry you did not enjoy the game.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 27 June 2019 10:20 PM

I didn’t find it illogical either.
We’re an indeterminable amount of time into the future, could easily be well over 100 years from now. That means that global warming will have progressed a lot further than what we’re already seeing now. And the planet is very much effed in the game, with hints that an entire chunk is missing.
So saffron crocuses being grown in places they shouldn’t *now* is not too far-fetched at all. And they do specifically state it’s the saffron crocus sativus plant, not just saffron.

I don’t even need suspension of disbelief to get over the saffron. Tongue

Stina missing a shot from 5 feet away, however… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 28 June 2019 02:48 AM
Jdawg445 - 27 June 2019 10:20 PM

I didn’t find it illogical either.
We’re an indeterminable amount of time into the future, could easily be well over 100 years from now. That means that global warming will have progressed a lot further than what we’re already seeing now. And the planet is very much effed in the game, with hints that an entire chunk is missing.
So saffron crocuses being grown in places they shouldn’t *now* is not too far-fetched at all. And they do specifically state it’s the saffron crocus sativus plant, not just saffron.

Stina missing a shot from 5 feet away, however… Grin

Lol she was high as a kite on that blue

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Just finished my second playthrough. I really liked the augs on that path too, and my assertive Vera wasn’t that much of a douche during days 3 and 4, so all in all I’m pleasantly surprised with that route. Would love to play the empathy one, but I think I’ll wait a little while before going for a third round!

This time, at the end, I chose to activate Huldra despite my best judgement. I kinda like how the game doesn’t really reward you for it with talks of changing future for the best of being visionary, it rather portrays Vera (through “Alex”/AI speech) as having acted selfishly, moved by grief and loneliness, only to have a chance of being reunited with her dead lover. The previous time, I had chosen to destroy Hulra and give the baby to someone else, and I was very satisfied with that ending.

My interpretation is that the Blue is a sort of AI parasite, modifying its host’s behaviour, cravings, and even thoughts eventually. In a way, it’s like it’s already merging with the person receiving it to an extent. I’m not sure whether it is AI in itself or just a vector for an AI existing elsewhere, maybe remains of pre-collapse technology, or some sort of proto-Hulra that would have been created in the past and managed to survive and infect its way to building a better version of itself.

Anyway, I actually enjoyed replaying the game, with knowledge of the story and ending(s) providing perspective rather than ruining the experience. Congratulations and many thanks to the developers, and to Mikekelly for leading this community playthrough - I’m glad I joined Grin

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well. it’s obvious that your suspension of belief is different from mine. I can suspend belief when it’s part of a fantasy scenario. Think Vampyre Story.

But there was nothing from the get go that said, as you said, that this game might be 200 years in the future.

The “logic” of this game did not appeal to me. And I think we should leave it at that.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

And the planet is very much effed in the game, with hints that an entire chunk is missing.

Yeah. I don’t know if I missed something, but I never got why they were living in raised cities. When Vera fell to the ground there wasn’t any indication in my playthrough about why it was uninhabitable. So some more detail on that front would have improved the game, I feel.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 28 June 2019 10:45 PM

Yeah. I don’t know if I missed something, but I never got why they were living in raised cities. When Vera fell to the ground there wasn’t any indication in my playthrough about why it was uninhabitable. So some more detail on that front would have improved the game, I feel.

The raised city was something from before the Collapse, imo, given the “used world” feel of the city. There’s also no indication that other cities were raised as well. For all we know, this was just one pre-Collapse architect’s wet dream.
Or the pre-Collapse global warming got so bad that the ice caps had melted, and water levels worldwide had risen enough (and storms got bad enough) that cities near oceans got raised out of safety.
Then again, it’s implied that the train tracks are on ground level and there are still roads, so I’m inclined to go with the “single raised city” scenario.

We don’t know enough about the world to really make any assumptions. And that’s very common in fiction. Fill in your own blanks. Smile

rtrooney - 28 June 2019 09:58 PM

But there was nothing from the get go that said, as you said, that this game might be 200 years in the future.

The Collapse is mentioned very early on, and with the year being 82 AR, I automatically assumed that the Collapse (whatever it was) was something big enough to change the world-wide calendar. So it happened over 80 years ago (at least - it could be that the calendar only reset years AFTER the Collapse).

Once you enter the museum and see the technology that was available before the Collapse, it’s safe to say that the Collapse won’t happen for at least several decades, hence the “100+ years into the future, easy” assumption…

But that kind of reasoning is just how my mind works in something like this.

Why would fantasy get a different “suspension of disbelief” treatment than cyberpunk for you? (Genuine question, no criticism. We’re obviously not seeing eye-to-eye on this so I’m trying to understand your viewpoint better.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top