• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hmmm double fine studios

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

Brutal Legend was the closest to a triple A they got, right?

But microsoft don’t buy these smaller studios to put them to make triple A games. They are known to make great quality games with smaller budgets and im sure they want to keep it that way. DF budgets maybe will be bigger now, or more solid, but not triple A big. Besides they don’t have the infrastructure, they would need a far bigger team, bigger installations etc.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

No, the risks i’m thinking are more in the venue of which criteria they use to greenlight new projects from now on, how much freedom they will have to make ANY kind of game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

DF has never, to my knowledge, done a game that would be classified even as AA game as far budget goes. But Brutal Legend would most likely be the closest they’ve ever gotten and if my memory serves, Tim did say, that their budget wasn’t enough to do all they’d had wanted to do in it.

Schaffer definitely has ambitions to do a big game, the same way the head of inXile, Brian Fargo has and Fargo has already constantly been saying how much MS money has helped them to shine up the upcoming directors cut of Bard’s Tale 4 and in development Wasteland 3. And those both games are multiplatform titles (consoles, Win/Linux and Mac), so in that sense, MS is at least keeping the release promises for games the companies had in the works during the purchase.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

I don’t think the purchase was with the goal of making a massive AAA game, at least not in the beginning.
MS is trying to setup the “netflix” of video games, so they need a steady quantity of quality material to support this service. there will obviously be some heavy hitters but as with Netflix, they also need small indie hits and niche titles.

+all of their games are comming on xbox and PC so at least pc fans of Tim’s work will be ok.

Now, on whether they will pull an “EA” if things don’t go well, only time will tell. For the time being, Spencer seems to have been doing the right moves to restructure the xbox and ms gaming division after the disastrous previous management. I’ll give them a few years to see what they plan with all their new studios, service, pc connections & consoles and we can come back and burn them to the stake if they mess it up! Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top