• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #53 Whispers of a Machine

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have now completed the first day and am currently leaning towards the empathetic path.

This is indeed a game for me. I find the atmosphere very compelling and have no problem retaining the suspension of disbelief. The game gives me a balanced amount of freedom to walk around and explore other areas than where the current objective is.

From what I can tell, there was only one puzzle that had multiple solutions so far. Namely, cutting off or copying Karl’s finger. I suspect there will be much more variations when additional augmentations are activated. Did I miss some other puzzle that could have been solved differently? Reading FaravidInteractive’s answer about the dorm room, I guess I could have borrowed a screwdriver to open the vent if I had not directly used the coin.

Luhr28 - 05 June 2019 08:32 AM

Here’s my early prediction:
I’m going to guess Andersson is in on this Conduit thing somehow. Or Stina. I do hope I’m wrong though.

My spontaneous theory was that the killer is Stina. She gives off a suspicious vibe and has the training necessary to overcome Dr. Perssons comment about a woman probably not being strong enough to kill Karl. I suspect the truth is more complicated than that though.

Karmillo - 06 June 2019 08:23 PM

Another thing I was curious about was doesn’t doctor patient confidentiality stoo beingna thing when the person is dead? Especially when they are part of a murder investigation?

This seems odd to me too.

rtrooney - 06 June 2019 09:00 PM

I played a game recently where I was confronted with a glass bowl that had an object I needed inside. I had a hammer in inventory, but that wouldn’t work, for reasons I don’t know. So I needed to find a tuning fork to accomplish the same objective. To say the least, the logic seemed forced. And I don’t like that sort of thing. Although, to be fair, I see it everywhere.

This is certainly a problem most adventure games are burdened by. So far I think Whispers of a Machine handles puzzles pretty well with multiple solutions when relevant. We are very far from the cat hair mustache debacle.

The game is located in Norway.

I would say that Nordsund is located somewhere in what is currently Sweden. Most names are typically Swedish and signs like “SKOLA” does not make sense in any other Scandinavian language. The climate is about the same in Norway and Sweden - but global warming has already been discussed.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Pegbiter - 07 June 2019 07:59 AM

I have now completed the first day and am currently leaning towards the empathetic path.

This is indeed a game for me. I find the atmosphere very compelling and have no problem retaining the suspension of disbelief. The game gives me a balanced amount of freedom to walk around and explore other areas than where the current objective is.

From what I can tell, there was only one puzzle that had multiple solutions so far. Namely, cutting off or copying Karl’s finger. I suspect there will be much more variations when additional augmentations are activated. Did I miss some other puzzle that could have been solved differently? Reading FaravidInteractive’s answer about the dorm room, I guess I could have borrowed a screwdriver to open the vent if I had not directly used the coin.

Luhr28 - 05 June 2019 08:32 AM

Here’s my early prediction:
I’m going to guess Andersson is in on this Conduit thing somehow. Or Stina. I do hope I’m wrong though.

My spontaneous theory was that the killer is Stina. She gives off a suspicious vibe and has the training necessary to overcome Dr. Perssons comment about a woman probably not being strong enough to kill Karl. I suspect the truth is more complicated than that though.

Karmillo - 06 June 2019 08:23 PM

Another thing I was curious about was doesn’t doctor patient confidentiality stoo beingna thing when the person is dead? Especially when they are part of a murder investigation?

This seems odd to me too.

I played a game recently where I was confronted with a glass bowl that had an object I needed inside. I had a hammer in inventory, but that wouldn’t work, for reasons I don’t know. So I needed to find a tuning fork to accomplish the same objective. To say the least, the logic seemed forced. And I don’t like that sort of thing. Although, to be fair, I see it everywhere.

This is certainly a problem most adventure games are burdened by. So far I think Whispers of a Machine handles puzzles pretty well with multiple solutions when relevant. We are very far from the cat hair mustache debacle.

The game is located in Norway.

I would say that Nordsund is located somewhere in what is currently Sweden. Most names are typically Swedish and signs like “SKOLA” does not make sense in any other Scandinavian language. The climate is about the same in Norway and Sweden - but global warming has already been discussed.

actually the very first area has two different ways to get the item out the vent, and two different ways to open the locker, I believe.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

smulan - 07 June 2019 05:34 AM

Sorry, don’t have that, but thanks for asking. I know you’re one of the producers and that sort of commitment is appreciated.
As for the silliness of the vent problem, me thinks it fits the adventure format just right including some of that kind of puzzles stuck in here and there. More or less a tradition. Monkey Island Broken Sword,  etc, etc.
In all thr variation in puzzles is good.
Some of the humor, specially the Valter Nisse dialogue don’t amuses me at all, quite the opposite, although it might have to do with my advanced age.

naw that is one thing I find annoying too, luckily you can skip a lot of stuff with him, he has like one funny line but as a whole I didnt like the valter stuff

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 June 2019 12:20 PM

actually the very first area has two different ways to get the item out the vent, and two different ways to open the locker, I believe.

What were the other sollutions?

I can immagine for the vent maybe using the scalpel?

Not sure what the other way for the locker would be though since I dont remember finding a key for it.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karmillo - 07 June 2019 12:33 PM
Jdawg445 - 07 June 2019 12:20 PM

What were the other sollutions?

I can immagine for the vent maybe using the scalpel?

Not sure what the other way for the locker would be though since I dont remember finding a key for it.

Think if your nice to the witness he can get the locker open for you

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Started today but got so into the game that I couldn’t stop by end of day 1 and just finished the game.

I’ll try to only comment on day 1.
I really like the mechanics of the augs, they fit really well with the story and add new dynamics to the puzzle solving. Well done to the designers for that!

I disagree with rtooney about some of the elements not being believable it’s a game set in the future, as such climate change should be a thing and as other mentioned Saffron has been cultivated in Canada, likewise I do think it logical that you can’t just use bruteforce to rip the panel, it could realistically be hard to control the muscle aug she has and it makes sense that when investigating evidence one would try to not risk damaging it. Plus the fact that it’s possible to get the screwdriver from Albert makes it rather more logical than a lot of adventure games…

As an aside, I really love the fact that you can have multiple solutions to a puzzle. It’s something I’ve always found great in adventure games that have it because it makes the world feel more real.

I didn’t really like Kathy Rain (well I loved the first part, hated the second) but this has been really enjoyable from beginning to end… I will comment more on the ending later but I have to say that this is the only thing that disappointed me a bit it feels too rushed once you make the decision, I would have preferred to see the consequence of my choice

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

cyfoyjvx - 07 June 2019 12:13 AM

Re: Saffron. You miss the point. Whether I found it on the boots, which I did, or heard it referenced elsewhere is beside the point. The game is located in Norway. If the game was located in Holland, where non-indigenous species are grown in controlled greenhouse environments, I could buy into it. But to find a plot of land that is producing saffron defies credulity.

Saffron is actually successfully grown in Quebec, a subarctic climate like most of Norway. And if Nordsund is on the coast (the ocean is visible from the balcony) then it would be even warmer.

And this is putting aside the issue of a much warmer future, which going by what we know now isn’t even sci-fi…

This is tiresome. But lets get this straight once and for all. Saffron is not a plant.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) is the full article. But the relevant part of it states:

Almost all saffron grows in a belt from Spain in the west to Kashmir in the east. The other continents, except Antarctica, produce smaller amounts. In 2014, 250 t (250,000 kg) were produced worldwide.[52] Iran is responsible for around 90–93% of global production, and much of their produce is exported.[12] A few of Iran’s drier eastern and southeastern provinces, including Fars, Kerman, and those in the Khorasan region, glean the bulk of modern global production. In 2005, the second-ranked Greece produced 5.7 t (5,700 kg), while Morocco (the Berber region of Taliouine), and Kashmir, tied for third rank, each producing 2.3 t (2,300 kg).[12]

In the 21st century, Afghan cultivation increased.[citation needed] Azerbaijan, Morocco, and Italy are, in decreasing order, lesser producers. Prohibitively high labour costs and abundant Iranian imports mean that only select locales continue the tedious harvest in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland—among them the Swiss village of Mund, whose annual output is a few kilograms.[10] Microscale production of saffron can be found in Australia (mainly the state of Tasmania),[53] Canada, Central Africa, China, Egypt, parts of England[54] France, Israel, Italy (Basilicata),[55][56] Mexico, New Zealand, Sweden (Gotland), Turkey (mainly around the town of Safranbolu), the United States (California and Pennsylvania).[3][34] Greece is a saffron producer with a history of 3 centuries of cultivation of a saffron called Krokos Kozanis, having started exports to the United States in 2017.[57]

So I guess you can grow the saffron-producing crocus plant just about anywhere given the appropriate, i.e. greenhouse, conditions. But that was certainly not the condition depicted in the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Its time people, let play day 2 now. It’s time for another day. You have until next Sunday to play day 2. As usual, I am looking forward to reading your input and opinions on day 2.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2019-05-22

PM

EDIT:
Nevermind, I’ll PM Rtrooney instead, I doubt anyone else is interested in this saffron affair…

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have now finished day two.

The empathetic track seems to be what comes naturally for me since most decisions takes me further towards that vertex of the triangle. I am considering using the other two save slots to try the other tracks in parallel. Perhaps the story is best experiences by doing one play-through at a time though.

I assume there are a total of nine additional augmentations. Being on the empathetic path, I got amnesia starting day two and mimicry for day three. When to apply the added augmentation during day two was pretty obvious and I was a bit disappointed that I was not able to use it just for fun. It will be interesting to see to what extent the latest addition can be practiced.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I doubt anyone else is interested in this saffron affair…

I did look it up. Saffron has been grown outside in both Norway and Sweden. This is a “special” crop according to the sources I checked.

Also, it is the day 2 discussion now. I like day two much more than day 1. The New AUG I got is quite fun to use.

The plot is getting really interesting now also.

I am now spoiled, I would want Kathy Rain 2 to have these kind of graphics…..

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve reached the end of day 2. This time, I decided to go down the assertive path, since it’s the one I’d be the least inclined to follow naturally Grin Typical choice I tend to make on a second playthrough when I have the chance, making my character say all the wrong things and act like a jerk - of course there’s no right or wrong choice here, still assertive!Vera isn’t the most likeable person and I wonder how no one has punched her in the nose yet (of course that may be because she’s got a gun and scary superpowers, but with that attitude of hers I’d still take the chance).

Anyway, I like the slight variations of dialogue in cutscenes from my analytical playthrough. Even though she sound too nice, patient and understanding most of the time, I’m beginning to see a consistent character shaping out before my eyes that differs from the one I experienced last time. My first playthrough is still quite fresh, so I’m skipping most of the dialogue, at least the bits I remember, but it’s nice to stop here and there when I hear something that doesn’t sound familiar.

I wasn’t sure what to make of the energise augmentation at first, it seemed less straightforward and somehow less powerful than intensified vision, but it grew on me eventually. I especially liked it when Vera energised the little girl, although to be quite honest, I wasn’t sure why I was doing it, it just seemed like a fun idea and I think I took inspiration in the solution I had found on my previous playthrough (at least I knew the children were a key part of it). Can’t wait to see what my next aug is going to be now Laughing

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have also finished day 2. I really enjoyed this game day. New AUG was great. Can’t wait for day 3. The game still runs great, no issues so far.

Loved the processor puzzle, Open the door of the processor and look inside. There’s some human remains trapped in the grinding gears. Use your Smart Scanner on them to collect Lennart’s Bio for the data vault. You’ll also learn that he was dead before he went into the grinder, so it wasn’t an accident!

I want to hear what our other players have to say about day 2 now.

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

NickyLarson - 10 June 2019 04:32 PM

I’ve reached the end of day 2. This time, I decided to go down the assertive path, since it’s the one I’d be the least inclined to follow naturally Grin Typical choice I tend to make on a second playthrough when I have the chance, making my character say all the wrong things and act like a jerk - of course there’s no right or wrong choice here, still assertive!Vera isn’t the most likeable person and I wonder how no one has punched her in the nose yet (of course that may be because she’s got a gun and scary superpowers, but with that attitude of hers I’d still take the chance).

Anyway, I like the slight variations of dialogue in cutscenes from my analytical playthrough. Even though she sound too nice, patient and understanding most of the time, I’m beginning to see a consistent character shaping out before my eyes that differs from the one I experienced last time. My first playthrough is still quite fresh, so I’m skipping most of the dialogue, at least the bits I remember, but it’s nice to stop here and there when I hear something that doesn’t sound familiar.

I wasn’t sure what to make of the energise augmentation at first, it seemed less straightforward and somehow less powerful than intensified vision, but it grew on me eventually. I especially liked it when Vera energised the little girl, although to be quite honest, I wasn’t sure why I was doing it, it just seemed like a fun idea and I think I took inspiration in the solution I had found on my previous playthrough (at least I knew the children were a key part of it). Can’t wait to see what my next aug is going to be now Laughing

After I energized her though it took me forever to figure out what to do next. I thought the puzzle that came after that was a little finicky

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 12 June 2019 11:16 PM

it took me forever to figure out what to do next. I thought the puzzle that came after that was a little finicky

Yes me too, I spent quite a while just wandering around trying aimless combinations. It’s interesting because I think it is (partial solution spoiler) (so far) the only time in the game you get to use that locking ability, and on my previous playthrough I had come to wonder why it was even here in the first place. Intelligent use of game functionalities, but very hard to figure out indeed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top