• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Hmmm double fine studios

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doublefine studios has been bought by microsoft. This will end bad. At least psychonauts 2 will still come to ps4

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The end of anything original and adventure-related for sure. Tim Schafer is bad at managing the studio and probably really needs money at this point. Guess he heard of “working for Microsoft” stories by Chris or Jason Jones, and yet he still tries to turn this into a joke in his twitter. A romantic or a fool.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Xbox needs all the first party developers it can get. Double fine is a great choice. Bad for all other platforms however.

I liked their games, but I am not buying an Xbox any tome soon.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 09 June 2019 10:19 PM

The Xbox needs all the first party developers it can get. Double fine is a great choice. Bad for all other platforms however.

I liked their games, but I am not buying an Xbox any tome soon.

:hear12tht:

I don’t think double fine has ever made a hit don’t get me wrong I actually like a lot of their games but they’re not a big Studio as far as bringing Xbox anywhere close to PlayStation as far as first-party games go, like Last of Us or Uncharted or the Spider-Man game it’s two different leagues right now.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Xbox isn’t the only platform for MS, they do have Windows gaming going strong still and what I’ve read, they are keen to push it the same as Xbox.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 10 June 2019 11:53 AM

Xbox isn’t the only platform for MS, they do have Windows gaming going strong still and what I’ve read, they are keen to push it the same as Xbox.

My point remains doublefine never made a big hit and microsoft has a lot of ground to catch up to playstation. E3 is going on right now and industry folks are saying Microsoft wet the bed again. Which is sad because PlayStation didn’t even show up

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s a bit too early to tell if MS is wetting the bed or not. They have made some profilic purchases recently, like with inXile and Obsidian. The two, as is Double Fine, are companies who have always had bigger ambitions than their budgets have allowed, so who knows, maybe the bigger MS coffers are finally enough to let them realize some of the ideas they have. And if not, well, then it’s a good bye for all of them.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 10 June 2019 03:17 PM

It’s a bit too early to tell if MS is wetting the bed or not. They have made some profilic purchases recently, like with inXile and Obsidian. The two, as is Double Fine, are companies who have always had bigger ambitions than their budgets have allowed, so who knows, maybe the bigger MS coffers are finally enough to let them realize some of the ideas they have. And if not, well, then it’s a good bye for all of them.

Im talking about this e3. The biggest game was cyberpunk which is a cross platform. Nobody really knows whats going on with the new halo or gears of war 5. Plus it seems both properties are wearing thin. The blair witch game looks interesting.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I don’t really get what this means. I just want to be able to play Psychonauts 2 and a possible new Costume Quest on the PC, if either of them end up being made. Those are the only two DF games I really liked. I don’t really care if they end up making a ‘hit’, that’s always been meaningless to how much I enjoy a game.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

This went great for Rare. Smooth moves, Tim.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s been some speculation, that Tim had no other choice but to sell to MS after Starbreeze fell in financial difficulties. They had, apparently, shelled, and promised, a lot of funds into the development of Psychonauts 2. But when they fell into problems, that also meant cashflow problems for DF. Apparently, MS paid 13 million of the publishing rights for it.

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/344370/Microsoft_picks_up_Psychonauts_2_publishing_rights_from_Starbreeze.php

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 11 June 2019 07:26 AM

There’s been some speculation, that Tim had no other choice but to sell to MS after Starbreeze fell in financial difficulties. They had, apparently, shelled, and promised, a lot of funds into the development of Psychonauts 2. But when they fell into problems, that also meant cashflow problems for DF. Apparently, MS paid 13 million of the publishing rights for it.

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/344370/Microsoft_picks_up_Psychonauts_2_publishing_rights_from_Starbreeze.php

This all seems about right Tim is another in a long list of developers who can’t handle funds well like a Chris Roberts

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 11 June 2019 02:21 AM

I don’t really get what this means. I just want to be able to play Psychonauts 2 and a possible new Costume Quest on the PC, if either of them end up being made. Those are the only two DF games I really liked. I don’t really care if they end up making a ‘hit’, that’s always been meaningless to how much I enjoy a game.

It means that if they don’t make hits for Microsoft they will be disbanded just like what ea does to developer after developer. so I hope you get your Costume Quest but I don’t see double fine being around much longer than 3 to 5 yrs before being swallowed by the machine.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Indeed. If DF is unable to deliver games that sell better than any of their games have, they are more or less done for. MS isn’t buying them in order to get okay sellers, they want top sellers, which get people to get games through their Xbox store even for Windows. That, in the end, is the reason why they have bought game studios from left and right lately.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

I’m not really worried. Do you all really think there is going to be any creative meddling from Microsoft part?

That’s the only thing to worry about, but only time will tell.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

sordy-wordy - 14 June 2019 08:09 PM

I’m not really worried. Do you all really think there is going to be any creative meddling from Microsoft part?

That’s the only thing to worry about, but only time will tell.

No I dont, but I also dont think Tim is the type to create triple A blockbuster game, like a cyberpunk, god of war, or last of us. I really hope he does though.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top