• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

zobraks - 12 May 2019 06:44 AM
Karlok - 12 May 2019 06:28 AM

I’m not the only Bad Mojo fan here.

True.

Very true. In fact I need to replay this ASAP, it has been way too many years!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 May 2019 06:44 AM

It deserves 9.9 out of 10. I subtract 0.1 for its lack of subtitles, one of the greatest flaws an adventure game can have. IMHO.

I was your subtitle substitute during the crawlthrough but I don’t feel diego and you thanked me properly, only a dozen or more times. Tongue

Check the crawlthrough for the stuff you might have missed.

That reminds me, where is our fellow roachie seagul? I haven’t seen her post but she still visits AG from time to time. Seagul, where are you? Come back and talk to us!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 13 May 2019 08:14 AM

I don’t feel diego and you thanked me properly, only a dozen or more times. Tongue

Be sure it was well deserved, each of those times.

where is our fellow roachie seagul?

Now that’s a familiar name I haven’t heard in a long while.

Seagul, where are you? Come back and talk to us!

Request seconded. Seagul, we miss you.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Kathy Rain I loved this game Kathy Rain reminds me a lot of Lauren Blackwell I really hope there is a Kathy Rain sequel

“You fight like a dairy farmer” - Secret of Monkey Island
“you always were a kidder Steve” - Harvester
“hello bright eyes” - Blackwell Legacy
“feeling lonely” - The 7th Guest

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

King’s Quest 6 was the weirdest multiple-paths game I’ve ever seen.
You had to go back multiple saves or you’d reach a total dead end.
10/10

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I started 12 games this year, played my beloved Return of the Obra Dinn twice, and left the rest unfinished. Yes, I’ve become picky, life is too short for games that don’t grab me. Anyway, I’d been looking forward to Ragnar Tørnquist’s Draugen but was immediately put off by the first conversation between the protagonist and his companion, a blabbering girl called Lissie. She constantly teased him and called him “old bean”. I found this impudent little whippersnapper (I read lots of Agatha Christie when I was Lissie’s age) so annoying that I was sure Draugen would also end up on the pile Unfinished. I was wrong, pretty soon Lissie grew on me, I even waited before replying to her so she would keep talking.

Beautiful scenery in 1920s Norway. Things to do, stuff to read, but no puzzles. I don’t mind that at all, atmosphere, emotions and story are more important. There are actually two mysteries: the protagonist’s sister has gone missing, and the tragic history of people on the island. Not everything is explained in the end, which is fine with me in this particular game. Excellent voiceacting. Very short, only 4 hours and I took my time.  Loved it, 4 stars.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thanks for the suggestion! Smile

Karlok - 02 June 2019 07:35 AM

Very short, only 4 hours and I took my time.

Sounds like 20 hours of gameplay for Yours Truly!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Thanks Karlok, I have been intrigued by this game ever since it was first teased. Wasn’t sure what to expect but it seems it may have a The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Remains of Edith Finch kind of vibe, which I very much enjoyed.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Beautiful scenery in 1920s Norway. Things to do, stuff to read, but no puzzles. I don’t mind that at all, atmosphere, emotions and story are more important. There are actually two mysteries: the protagonist’s sister has gone missing, and the tragic history of people on the island. Not everything is explained in the end, which is fine with me in this particular game. Excellent voiceacting. Very short, only 4 hours and I took my time.  Loved it, 4 stars.

At the beginning of the Woam thread I commented on this game. Although I didn’t say much other than the graphics were great, but I didn’t see any kind of story.

Your review kind of confirms that. But not negatively. When I get done with Whisper, I will give this one a shot. Particularly since it’s, from your experience, a fairly short game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sir Beardalot - 02 June 2019 03:24 PM

Thanks Karlok, I have been intrigued by this game ever since it was first teased. Wasn’t sure what to expect but it seems it may have a The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Remains of Edith Finch kind of vibe, which I very much enjoyed.

I discovered this morning that the game is getting mixed reviews and I also read some quite negative player comments at Steam. The most important issue seems to be disappointment with the story/plot and questions the game leaves unanswered. I stand by my own far more positive opinion of Draugen, including the loose ends, but I thought I’d better mention this. I don’t want to be responsible for someone else’s disappointment.

And two reviewers also found Lissie annoying at first but grew to like her. Smile

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I like the look of it, though it’s got a casual tag on Steam which kind of puts me off. I might grab it on sale, since I have 5 other new releases on my wishlist which appeal to me more right now.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

I just played “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” and I’m forced to say It’s extremely overrated. It’s considered one of the better games of the genre and it has so many severe flaws. I understand that some of it is a matter of preference and I respect it but while it is subjective, I hated even the subjective parts.

In short (nevermind, it’s not short),

1) It did the cardinal mistake that almost all newer adventure games avoid because it annoys people: it produces dead ends that they don’t just create a “bad ending”, in many cases it creates NO ENDING AT ALL. You are left running around the rooms/areas trying to figure out of any way out, even if it’s death or a bad ending and there is nothing at all to do in some cases. You have to literally use an old save and restart. And if you don’t have such a save you can’t go on at all. But that’s not the real issue. It’s that the game doesn’t let you know - in some cases - that that’s what happened so you are left wondering what’s going on. After spending days being stuck you may eventually realize or assume that you may have hit a bug or a hard dead end and a walkthrough may help in that case but that ruins the entire thing. Walkthroughs are giving up or in any case, they are not gaming.

2) It has bugs! Actual bugs. In various cases it would crash or it would be unable to use an item after a rare action of the player, and it would literally show on the screen “BUG! Unexpected action!” and stuff like that. The game was simply not finished.

3) And that’s the worst of all, in my opinion, it’s way worse than even the 1st or the bugs: while it can be subjective if you like it, it relies extremely on very abstract concepts that make little technical sense. In some cases you just guess randomly.

Ok, the 3rd while it’s technically the worst thing a game of that sort can do (being nonsensical with abstract concepts that need guessing and not logic) it’s not done that much in quantity; the 1st problem is probably the worst in total followed by the bugs.

All in all this game doesn’t deserve better than a 6 for the way it’s constructed by allowing hard dead-ends (not “bad endings”, dead ends that give no clue it’s a dead end) and because of the bugs and the non-sense a few puzzles have, it must be at most a 5.

So it’s a 5/10. I won’t give a 4 or lower because it’s at least old and doesn’t deserve any hate for its old graphics etc. The voice acting isn’t horrible but not the best but at that time not even most games had voice acting so I won’t even consider it a negative.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

thinker - 23 June 2019 03:47 AM

I just played “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” and I’m forced to say It’s extremely overrated. It’s considered one of the better games of the genre and it has so many severe flaws. I understand that some of it is a matter of preference and I respect it but while it is subjective, I hated even the subjective parts.

In short (nevermind, it’s not short),

1) It did the cardinal mistake that almost all newer adventure games avoid because it annoys people: it produces dead ends that they don’t just create a “bad ending”, in many cases it creates NO ENDING AT ALL. You are left running around the rooms/areas trying to figure out of any way out, even if it’s death or a bad ending and there is nothing at all to do in some cases. You have to literally use an old save and restart. And if you don’t have such a save you can’t go on at all. But that’s not the real issue. It’s that the game doesn’t let you know - in some cases - that that’s what happened so you are left wondering what’s going on. After spending days being stuck you may eventually realize or assume that you may have hit a bug or a hard dead end and a walkthrough may help in that case but that ruins the entire thing. Walkthroughs are giving up or in any case, they are not gaming.

2) It has bugs! Actual bugs. In various cases it would crash or it would be unable to use an item after a rare action of the player, and it would literally show on the screen “BUG! Unexpected action!” and stuff like that. The game was simply not finished.

3) And that’s the worst of all, in my opinion, it’s way worse than even the 1st or the bugs: while it can be subjective if you like it, it relies extremely on very abstract concepts that make little technical sense. In some cases you just guess randomly.

Ok, the 3rd while it’s technically the worst thing a game of that sort can do (being nonsensical with abstract concepts that need guessing and not logic) it’s not done that much in quantity; the 1st problem is probably the worst in total followed by the bugs.

All in all this game doesn’t deserve better than a 6 for the way it’s constructed by allowing hard dead-ends (not “bad endings”, dead ends that give no clue it’s a dead end) and because of the bugs and the non-sense a few puzzles have, it must be at most a 5.

So it’s a 5/10. I won’t give a 4 or lower because it’s at least old and doesn’t deserve any hate for its old graphics etc. The voice acting isn’t horrible but not the best but at that time not even most games had voice acting so I won’t even consider it a negative.

Thank you for that summary of the game. Made it easier for me to scrach it off my “must-play-games-list”. Smile

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This was a community playthrough of IHNMAIMS here about 6 years ago.  I didn’t play it, but some of the problems may have been addressed in this thread: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2433/

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Very short, only 4 hours and I took my time.

Draugen was one of the games I was looking forward to until I read how ridiculously short it is. Some say only 3hrs. Seems like a total waste to me. Very disappointing. Why spend years making a game you can finish in one sitting? And probably a game with zero replayability?

Was expecting something much longer/meatier like Ragnar’s previous games. Is this supposed to be an episodic game with future episodes or was that it with nothing else planned?

I just think I’ll forget about Draugen tbh. Doesn’t seem worth it

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top