• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

My Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How does Amnesia holds up as an adventure game?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2019-04-12

PM

Hi all,
I’m always very hungry for a good horror story and I adore the adventure games’ storytelling potential. So I’ve been wondering whether Amnesia might be a good pick. I haven’t played any other Frictional games yet really, but I heard that Soma is fairly promising, yet I choose Amnesia since gothic horror is a far more captivating setting for me. Unfortunately I associate this game mostly with not the sharpest youtubers screaming in front of a camera. So, is it a good adventure game? Or just a jump-scare infested thriller?
Maybe you’ve got other horror adventures to recommend? I’ve played some of them, I want to stress that I like the more static point and click formula. I absolutely love the Cat Lady, for example, despite the choking amounts of naivete.
Thanks in advance

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

It’s a jump-scare infested thriller, and as an adventure game SOMA is better.

If you want really static, try Anchorhead. Not point and click but very gothic horror and probably the most chilling thing you’ll ever play.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I enjoyed Amnesia quite a lot, although it might be too fast-paced for dedicated adventure gamers. Not really an action game, and I wouldn’t describe it as “jump-scare” (it’s scary in a panicking sort of way which works way better than most horror games I played), but there are timed sequences, a lot of jumping/sneaking and not many traditional puzzles. If it’s your first time with Frictional Games, I’d recommend trying out the Penumbra series first, Penumbra: Black Plague in particular for the best experience. It is more traditional in the adventure department, but also has physical puzzles and plenty of great scare moments.

As for the static horror, I’d recommend Shadow of the Comet, Amber: Journeys Beyond, Dark Fall and The Lost Crown series by Jonathan Boakes, Scratches and probably the upcoming (or never coming) Asylum by Senscape.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

I really enjoyed Amnesia, the story has a very Lovercraft aura, and since you only get bit and pieces of it by exploring and finding notes, it really builds on you. I would say it’s the best of the game. The puzzle are fine, they are very simple, but is to be expected since the focus of the game is horror, you don’t want to be stuck with a puzzle in a monster infested dungeon.
If you like exploring, go for it.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

stevenshaw - 12 April 2019 05:30 AM

Hi all,
I’m always very hungry for a good horror story and I adore the adventure games’ storytelling potential. So I’ve been wondering whether Amnesia might be a good pick. I haven’t played any other Frictional games yet really, but I heard that Soma is fairly promising, yet I choose Amnesia since gothic horror is a far more captivating setting for me. Unfortunately I associate this game mostly with not the sharpest youtubers screaming in front of a camera. So, is it a good adventure game? Or just a jump-scare infested thriller?
Maybe you’ve got other horror adventures to recommend? I’ve played some of them, I want to stress that I like the more static point and click formula. I absolutely love the Cat Lady, for example, despite the choking amounts of naivete.
Thanks in advance

I also prefer gothic horror and point and click formula (and I loved The Cat Lady), but do try SOMA, it’s really immersive and imo better than Amnesia. I also second Scratches, Dark Fall and The Lost Crown as great recommendations.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

I’ll second (third?) SOMA, but for the point-and-click horror feel, maybe give Stasis a shot as well.

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top