• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword - Parzival’s Stone aka Broken sword 6.

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Egon - 27 March 2019 04:16 AM
TimovieMan - 26 March 2019 04:23 PM
SpeedBo - 26 March 2019 12:38 PM
Jdawg445 - 26 March 2019 10:32 AM

Wow i hate vr oh well i guess Sick

With any luck they’ll have a non-VR version.

If they’ll want to actually have some decent sales, they’ll have to have one.

I still think VR is just going to be a fad. Nothing more than a fart in a bottle.

VR is so not gonna be a fad. I think adventure fans should really look forward to VR. Classic adventures, along with RPGs, are one of the most enjoyable genres in VR. Being in the environment while naturally solving puzzles with your hands is just amazing.

VR is just not yet at the point where it would be able to enter the mass market- the experience itself is good enough already (from the technical standpoint). But HMDs will have to become much smaller, lighter and comfortable in general, so that you’ll be able to forget you are even wearing something.

It seems VR will be a huge part of PS5, so my bet is, we might start seeing a bigger adoption in next 2-3 years (Sony already sold over 4 millions of PSVR for PS4, which is quite an achievement).

I own a VR device since 2 months and I have to agree with this. Nothing wrong with trying new things and VR can really work well for adventure games.

Maybe it’s a mistake to make this an official sequel though - but at least it shows it’s not a half baked VR experience but a full game and that makes me very curious!

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

PlanetX - 27 March 2019 09:52 AM

Can someone explain what this site is exactly? I’m not seeing any mention of this announcement on Revolution’s twitter or website.

From what I can gather, Creative Europe award grants to fund development of European video games. This was also listed on a French website in October last year, but without identifying it as Broken Sword 6.  https://univrcity.fr/parzivals-stone-vr-revolution-software/

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Dale - 27 March 2019 02:59 PM
PlanetX - 27 March 2019 09:52 AM

Can someone explain what this site is exactly? I’m not seeing any mention of this announcement on Revolution’s twitter or website.

From what I can gather, Creative Europe award grants to fund development of European video games. This was also listed on a French website in October last year, but without identifying it as Broken Sword 6.  https://univrcity.fr/parzivals-stone-vr-revolution-software/

Thanks for the explanation.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I do VR gaming all time. I stick to FPS, racing and flight games. I don’t like adventure games in VR.

I hope this game has a nonVR option. And no, generally VR does not make you seasick.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Is it April 1 and I didn’t notice?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I still think VR is just going to be a fad. Nothing more than a fart in a bottle.

Actually, VR has been around for a long time. I have VR systems from 1992. It will never be main stream, the PS4 with 4 million sales is amazing.

Today’s VR is amazing, much improved over earlier units, we will see lots of sales of Nintendo Switch VR, it will sell for $79.95 and has excellent reviews.

Again for racing and shooting and flying games, love it. Adventure not at all, took them all back after I tried them.

I might give them another go, who knows.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I have to agree that the current generation of VR is very good. The tech has matured quite a bit since it the previous push in the late 80s-90s and the big obstacle between consumer adaptation has been the price, as the VR sets have been quite expensive.

This time around VR is here to stay. I don’t know how commonplace it will become or if it will ever gain as widespread recognition as your standard consoles, but it won’t be discarded as a failed experiment like it has been before. The same happened with 3D movies as well when the tech got good enough.

While 3D movies at home still don’t enjoy widespread use, they never did leave theatres after the tech got good enough with Avatar.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

For someone that mostly dislikes 3D and remembers VR from the ‘magic carpet’ days, I wasn’t expecting too much from all the current VR hype. But after I played Astrobot on the Playstation VR I’m really impressed, it’s a platformer of sorts essentially, but amazing to play and breathtakingly beautiful (IMHO). And that’s on a platform that’s not even the best VR you can get at the moment.

Promising times for VR I’d say.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

There’s a VR specific section of this very site as well, that highlights the different platforms games are available for and just shows you VR specific games/announcements:

https://adventuregamers.com/home/vr

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 28 March 2019 03:10 AM

This time around VR is here to stay. I don’t know how commonplace it will become or if it will ever gain as widespread recognition as your standard consoles, but it won’t be discarded as a failed experiment like it has been before. The same happened with 3D movies as well when the tech got good enough.

It may be here to stay, but that will be as a niche. After the initial hype dies down (and it will, quite rapidly even), so will its library. Look what happened with Wii and Kinect.

Also, I actively avoid 3D movies since a) most weren’t even made with 3D in mind (so it doesn’t add anything), b) most were only converted to 3D in post-production (so it doesn’t add anything AND it takes away from the image quality) and c) theatres ask a far too high extra price for it (so we pay more for something with little to no added value that in most cases even looks worse).

I can definitely see the appeal for VR. I just don’t think it’ll ever become mainstream (or that it’ll stay mainstream after an initial hype).

Also, more on topic: Broken Sword 6 for VR and NOT having a non-VR version is commercial suicide. It’s completely alienating the fanbase.
Basically, it’s the wrong title for Revolution to try something in VR.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Mikekelly - 27 March 2019 11:11 PM

Actually, VR has been around for a long time. I have VR systems from 1992. It will never be main stream, the PS4 with 4 million sales is amazing.

It’s certainly impressive, but may end up just being an impressive pile of junk.

At one point, Nintendo Entertainment System came bundled with a Zapper, so even cautiously counting there were thousands after thousands of units of them in people’s homes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Zapper

But not counting Duck Hunt, which also came with the console, it never changed anything really. Even after decades, the number of games which support playing with some kind of gun controllers is very niche.

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Mikekelly - 27 March 2019 11:11 PM

Today’s VR is amazing, much improved over earlier units, we will see lots of sales of Nintendo Switch VR, it will sell for $79.95 and has excellent reviews.

Again for racing and shooting and flying games, love it. Adventure not at all, took them all back after I tried them.

I might give them another go, who knows.

Crazy

That’s weird, it’s the opposite for me. My best experience with VR so far comes from games like Accounting and Virtual Virtual Reality which can be considered as “adventure”.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 28 March 2019 03:57 AM
tomimt - 28 March 2019 03:10 AM

It may be here to stay, but that will be as a niche. After the initial hype dies down (and it will, quite rapidly even), so will its library. Look what happened with Wii and Kinect.

Also, I actively avoid 3D movies since a) most weren’t even made with 3D in mind (so it doesn’t add anything), b) most were only converted to 3D in post-production (so it doesn’t add anything AND it takes away from the image quality) and c) theatres ask a far too high extra price for it (so we pay more for something with little to no added value that in most cases even looks worse).

I can definitely see the appeal for VR. I just don’t think it’ll ever become mainstream (or that it’ll stay mainstream after an initial hype).

Also, more on topic: Broken Sword 6 for VR and NOT having a non-VR version is commercial suicide. It’s completely alienating the fanbase.
Basically, it’s the wrong title for Revolution to try something in VR.

You see, the situation with 3d movies was quite different. The interest for 3D TVs was very strong at first. Lots of 3D ready TVs were sold, but after seeing that 3D doesn’t really add a lot to movies (and wearing stereoscopic glasses is too uncomfortable- it gave me serious headache, every time I wore them) the hype died down and the users weren’t interested anymore to buy 3d movies or TVs.

With VR it’s the exact opposite situation. VR actually adds a LOT to games and experiences. It’s not just an fancy add on, it’s a new medium that plays a lot differently than classic games.
The hype before gen 1 VR release might have been strong among enthusiasts, but average people had no idea what to do with VR, or what it actually brings to the table… so the sell of first gen VR HMDs was actually quite poor in first 2 years. Then a switch started to happen. Price went down, bigger and better titles started to appear and the interest started to grow. Now all-in-one HMDs (that don’t require powerful PC, but have 6dof tracking) are starting to appear and bring cost of VR down a lot.

The result is, the sell of VR is actually improving, not declining over the last 4 years. So far the growth is slow, but it’s happening.

This is a good sign. If you think about it, VR hmds, right now, don’t look too good. They are ugly boxes you wear on your face. They are heavy, uncomfortable and when playing bad experiences, they can makes you sick. But people still want it. The pros overweight the cons.

In a few years we can expect to start seeing smaller HMDs, maybe in light glasses form factor, that will do both: VR and AR. This is evolution all big tech companies are betting on. What looks weird right now, will become part of our every day life eventually. VR won’t be isolated thing it will be part of larger ecosystem. AR and VR will start to merge and lines between the two will eventually become very thin.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Egon - 28 March 2019 07:15 AM

You see, the situation with 3d movies was quite different. The interest for 3D TVs was very strong at first. Lots of 3D ready TVs were sold, but after seeing that 3D doesn’t really add a lot to movies (and wearing stereoscopic glasses is too uncomfortable- it gave me serious headache, every time I wore them) the hype died down and the users weren’t interested anymore to buy 3d movies or TVs.

And yet 3D movies are now here to stay, in theatres at least. When Avtar brought 3D back, I was sceptical of its staying power as well, but it does look like it has become a pretty solid stream of revenue for the theatres. Home video use was always more problematic, as it is easier to convince people to wear glasses for a couple of hours rather than making them wear them every time they want to watch TV at home.

That might change though, as there already are several attempts in creating a proper glasses-free 3D panels for home use, so depending on how the systems mature and what kind of TVs the manufacturers end up doing and people end up buying, 3D systems at home might saturate the market at some point (emphasis on might).

With VR there’s a couple of obstacles in the way, of which some already have been solved.

One big is the picture quality, which with modern tech is light years better than what it ever was in the 90s. The second is controllers, which are also better thanks to wireless controllers and improved detection on movement etc. There’s also a lot more software for it.

Really, the biggest issues still are the size of the headsets and the price. And both of these are bound to come down sooner rather than later.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’ve been trying to get Revolution to confirm this news, but still radio silence from them. (I suspect that it is true, but they’d much rather the world not have noticed until they were ready to make a splashier reveal.)

VR is definitely here to stay, but whether it becomes mainstream or remains a niche really depends on how it advances technologically in the coming years. Despite the massive leap forward visually, it may yet be ahead of its time for what the market can (or is prepared to) bear.

I think a big mistake of VR is insisting on linking it to motion control. I get the appeal: they want to make you think you’re right there. But motion control was always a sloppily-implemented gimmick that has never come close to being mastered, and USUALLY (not always) it adds nothing of consequence to the experience. In fact, it’s often an impediment.

I’d love to just lounge around on my couch or at my desk—with a much lighter headset than is available now—and play a VR game with a controller in my hand. I’m far less enthused about all the hardware setup and space required so I can stand in the middle of my living room just to wander around a game.

I’m not saying there’s no room for motion-integrated games, but by making the two technologies so intertwined, VR is not just asking people to enjoy a brand new form of immersion, but engage in a whole different kind of gaming entirely. And that’s a much tougher sell, particularly when the motion control is by far the weakest link.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top