• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

badlemon - 18 March 2019 01:46 PM

Which is not enough for 100% conclusion.

Alas, such is the case for this game… Tongue

We get enough glimpses to piece together 90% of the full story. But we’re still missing some key points that remain open to interpretation…

I do believe Karlok fully nailed the workings of the Formosan case, though. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

IF this game makes lots of money, we’ll see more of them. IF the game is only a critical success,  then people move on to others genres.

I don’t have a clue on sales of this game. Aggies do help.

Kathy Rain was a slow seller at first, but after the awards rolled in, sales took off.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

badlemon - 18 March 2019 01:46 PM

This dialogue here is what makes me think that maybe there’s more into Martin’s intentions.

I know I won’t convince you and that’s fine. But I love this game so much and I seem unable to put it to bed. So here goes. Smile

Martin is one of the best crew members, if not the best. He’s the only mate/officer who stays loyal to the captain till the bitter end. He’s concerned about others, always there where he’s needed, killing monsters - unlike the 1st mate who was conspicuously absent during most of the action. Captain was not there when the men took the mermaids to the lazarette, so I see no reason why the captain would not entrust his most reliable officer with the task of setting the last mermaid free. **

But let’s assume Martin acted on his own initiative. We hear the door to the lazarette being unlocked, Martin and Paul lift the lid of the cage/container and next thing we know the mermaid spikes him. He knew how dangerous these creatures are, he’s seen the bodies, why does he open the cage without striking a bargain with her first or at the very least talking to her? Makes no sense to me.

The way I see it the title of the chapter refers to two bargains: captain got his way with the kraken, Martin pleaded in his final moments for a safe return of the ship and the mermaid fulfilled her part of the bargains. But the ship returned with no living soul on board. Martin literally got what he asked for, although I’m sure that’s not what he wanted. Plus the ship sinks in the storm the moment we leave it. The irony! Did the mermaid cause the storm? Pure speculation. But I’m one hundred percent sure that the paw of the surgeon’s monkey is a direct reference to the short story The Monkey’s Paw, where the paw fullfills people’s wishes at a terrible price.

Lucas Pope is a genius. Smile

Mikekelly - 18 March 2019 08:00 PM

IF this game makes lots of money, we’ll see more of them. IF the game is only a critical success,  then people move on to others genres.

I don’t have a clue on sales of this game. Aggies do help.

Kathy Rain was a slow seller at first, but after the awards rolled in, sales took off.

You really can’t compare the two games. Lucas Pope is not your ordinary indie, his Papers Please won many awards and sold millions of copies. Yes, millions.

**PS: More evidence that the captain chased off the kraken: During the kraken attack, including the captain’s visit to the lazarette, the ship is tilted. When Martin enters the lazarette the ship is no longer tilted.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, Pope even mentioned in an interview that he doesn’t care how much Obra Dinn sells with Papers Please around. But he is regularly posting stuff about awards, nominations and tributes to Obra Dinn on his Twitter (Aggies Awards, for example), so that matters to him eventually. And taking all the love the game received so far I would be really surprised if it doesn’t sell well.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SteamSpy has it at over 100K copies sold, which is more than most adventure games sell these days.

According to Pope Papers, Please is still selling well, which explains why he’s doing very little marketing. He wants to make “different” games - games that are not like any other. That automatically extends their shelf life because if you want something like Papers, Please or something like Return of the Obra Dinn, you’re basically limited to buying Papers, Please or buying Return of the Obra Dinn. Grin

Makes me doubt very much that he’ll ever do any sequels, though. Why rehash when you can innovate?

It’s been said a few times in the thread already, but I’ll happily repeat it:

Lucas Pope is a genius.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It’s been said a few times in the thread already, but I’ll happily repeat it:

Lucas Pope is a genius.

Well, in that case I look forward to his next game, whatever it is. As for Obra Dinn, I am going to replay this game soon. I know I missed a lot an there is so much more to see and experience. This game is going to be like Hotel Dusk, each time you play it you’ll discover something new.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

As sad as this post is, it’s time to unhook this thread. Nobody has posted in a week, so it’s time. Too bad, this has been a great CPT for a great game.

Heart

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Who cares, I’ll be a good girl and delete my post.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think the CPT went fine actually. Sure, we all didn’t take the exact same path, but we all could play the game for awhile and then get together to discuss.

I would like to see even more CPTs of unusual games, the linear point and click adventure games can get old.

Thanks to all who participated, loved reading all the comments on the game, Tim’s comments on the game were especially interesting to read.

Heart

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 27 March 2019 08:50 PM

Return of the Obra Dinn was not really suitable for a community playthrough. The game is too non-linear. You can watch many scenes and several chapters in any order, so telling participants to solve 18 or 45 fates doesn’t mean everybody solves the same ones. With hindsight I think it would have been better to stick to a certain order of the chapters, which is not hard to do when the watch tells you exactly which part of which chapter you’re going to see.

Someone else would have complained that it was too linear that way. You can’t please everyone.

Thanks everyone for the playthrough and all the comments. I enjoyed it a lot.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Who cares, I’ll be a good girl and delete my post.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

This game made me learn what “Lorem ipsum” is. Odd.

15 fates still unsolved, but I’ve found the key(s). Right in front of my nose. Tongue

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 10 July 2019 05:37 PM

This game made me learn what “Lorem ipsum” is. Odd.

I recognized the Lorem Ipsum tags, but had to google Lascar House.

15 fates still unsolved, but I’ve found the key(s). Right in front of my nose. Tongue

I’ll make an educated guess: 3 or 4 Chinese topmen, tattoo man, some sailors, the carpenter and his mate, the bosun’s mate, the purser.   Tongue

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Those 15 were mainly Chinese (four topmen), Indian and English (seamen). I can’t believe I’m missing the ship’s steward fate, I’m sure he was spiked by a terrible beast, just like the cook in the same chapter.

Now I’m left with only four characters to get rid of: Third mate, Ship’s steward, Captain’s steward and John Naples; I’m pretty sure who’s who, but can’t figure out what exactly happened to them.

The last time I got a validation for only two people. How is that possible? The game says fates are validated in sets of three (and they were, up to 54 fates). Now I have 56 fates.  Meh

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 11 July 2019 06:16 PM

The last time I got a validation for only two people. How is that possible? The game says fates are validated in sets of three (and they were, up to 54 fates). Now I have 56 fates.  Meh

Only two more to go and then you leave the ship.

But I guess you’ll have finished the game when you read this.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top