• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 03 March 2019 12:33 PM

I have a question for Cyfo or someone else who has finished the game (and does not go by the name of Kurufinwe): I noticed the very first time I opened the book that one person standing next to the helm or wheel or whatever it’s called in the artist’s sketch is not blurred. Does that mean I should be able to identify this guy right from the start without even one flashback? Please no spoilers, just a simple yes or no will suffice.

I haven’t fully finished yet, but to answer your question: yes. Cool

Sounds to me like you’ve already identified him. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, that’s what I thought, but my “deduction” was not accepted. Oh well… this game may be too difficult for me

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 03 March 2019 10:03 AM

I’m currently at the Orlop deck and I have seen absolutely nothing from chapter 3. If there was a certain trail of bodies I should have followed to get more fates correct, I missed it. Or the game is pretty non-linear… Tongue

Well, then it’s more non-linear than I thought.
I was certain that I had followed the only trail possible, but apparently I was wrong.
Must’ve overlooked a nook or cranny that had another body, and only found it later on, not realizing I could have found it sooner.

The game’s certainly engrossing enough for that to happen. Grin

Karlok - 03 March 2019 12:38 PM

Yeah, that’s what I thought, but my “deduction” was not accepted. Oh well… this game may be too difficult for me

The faces become unblurred when you can identify the person.
The fates are only accepted if you have correctly identified them AND correctly stated what happened to them.

As a rule of thumb, I immediately enter how they died when I see the memories of their death. It’s only when I later identify the persons in question that the fates get accepted.
With a few exceptions that were identified before I found out what happened to them, of course, but for most I knew what happened before I knew who they were.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2019 12:45 PM
Karlok - 03 March 2019 12:38 PM

The faces become unblurred when you can identify the person.
The fates are only accepted if you have correctly identified them AND correctly stated what happened to them.

Yes, but we also know his fate from the start, don’t we. He’s alive and made it back. But the game hasn’t rewarded me, so I must be wrong. 

PS: That’s why I got the idea that it might be the artist himself, because he would certainly know his own face. Smile But no, the game rewarded me for ES when the kraken killed him. 

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 03 March 2019 01:04 PM

Yes, but we also know his fate from the start, don’t we. He’s alive and made it back. But the game hasn’t rewarded me, so I must be wrong. 

PS: That’s why I got the idea that it might be the artist himself, because he would certainly know his own face. Smile But no, the game rewarded me for ES when the kraken killed him. 

You’re thinking about it wrong.

You can know who he is because he’s holding the ship’s helm. Only the captain and the helmsman are allowed to do that (unless the helmsman is being relieved by another seaman, but the game is pretty straightforward about things like this). Where someone is, is often a good indication of who he is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That was a SPOILER! You could have just said I was thinking about it the wrong way, or you could have said nothing at all. But no, you had to show off.

Timovieman Pan

I asked for no spoilers, but it’s my own fault too. I should not have replied to your “yes”. And I even knew before the CP started, I simply knew, somebody would spoil the game for me if I participated and asked a question.

PS: That bit about only the captain and the helmsman allowed to touch the helm is of course BS. How am I supposed to know that?

I’m off. No more CPs for me.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 03 March 2019 01:37 PM

That was a SPOILER!

Ummm… it’s in spoiler tags???

Besides, that’s pretty much the ONLY way to identify that person, so if you hadn’t found it by now, you needed the spoiler. Wink

Also, that kind of reasoning to find identities is most decidedly NOT BS. The location and activity of the crew is a BIG hint, because that’s how things work on a ship! Passengers are not allowed in the crew’s quarters, seamen don’t go in officer’s quarters unless given explicit permission, only the ship’s doctor and his patients have any business in the infirmary, etc.
You will need that kind of reasoning if you want to identify everyone on the ship!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2019 03:04 PM
Karlok - 03 March 2019 01:37 PM

That was a SPOILER!

Ummm… it’s in spoiler tags???

You’re being very disingenuous and you know you are.
I asked my question in spoiler tags.
I added: Please no spoilers.
We had an exchange about my question in spoiler tags, so they were not meant for us.
And now you’re using those spoiler tags against me. Shame on you.

Besides, that’s pretty much the ONLY way to identify that person, so if you hadn’t found it by now, you needed the spoiler. Wink

Whether I need a spoiler is most certainly not for you to decide. By now? You don’t even know where I am or what I’ve achieved so far.

Also, that kind of reasoning to find identities is most decidedly NOT BS.

That’s not at all relevant to what I said. Learn to read.
But I can read between the lines and your message is contempt. Same to you for being so goddamn disingenuous and I hope it festers.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 03 March 2019 03:52 PM

Whether I need a spoiler is most certainly not for you to decide. By now? You don’t even know where I am or what I’ve achieved so far.

I don’t need to. His face is unblurred from the start because you can identify him from the start. You had even noticed both the fact that you could identify him and HOW you could do so. You specifically referred to him as the one next to the helm. And really, that crew sketch and him holding the helm on it is the ONLY hint to his identity in the game.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2019 04:52 PM
Karlok - 03 March 2019 03:52 PM

I don’t need to. His face is unblurred from the start because you can identify him from the start. You had even noticed both the fact that you could identify him and HOW you could do so. You specifically referred to him as the one next to the helm. And really, that crew sketch and him holding the helm on it is the ONLY hint to his identity in the game.

Oh for Pete’s sake.

I only referred to him as the one next to the helm so people would know who I meant because not everybody might have used the magnifier on every single person the very first time they opened the book. I remember thinking that would be a real weird position to steer a wheel, not behind it but standing far to one side and touching it casually with one outstretched hand. So I didn’t think twice about deducing that it must be the surgeon, as we know from the start he made it back alive and his face should be familiar.

And if it is the ONLY hint to his identity in the game, then I would have found it simply by elimination. But you robbed me of that. Everybody knows I hate spoilers, I can only conlude from your shower of contempt that you ignored my request for no spoilers on purpose. If I can ever spoil a game for you I will, that’s a promise.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I sincerely apologize for spoiling an identity from the game for you.

But please stop acting like being spoiled ONE identity out of SIXTY suddenly turned one of the most original games of recent years into a train wreck.

Karlok - 03 March 2019 06:11 PM

If I can ever spoil a game for you I will, that’s a promise.

Spoilers have never bothered me, so good luck with that.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2019 07:01 PM

I sincerely apologize for spoiling an identity from the game for you.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Come back to your favo(u)rite topic, no spoilers there.

BTW, spoiling stuff can get one into all sorts of troubles

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

LOL Zorba!  Heart What kept you so long, you should have posted last night, that would have helped.

I wonder what kind of literature that poor guy read. He should have bored his tormentor stiff with endless monologues on building a boat from scratch or something. But isn’t it great to know that you and I could safely work together on Antarctica because it’s literally impossible to spoil Bukowski.  Cool

I’ll try to find an easy screenshot for you.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 04 March 2019 08:02 AM

What kept you so long, you should have posted last night

I would’ve, but I was sound asleep at the time.

The instant I read your exchange with TheMovieMan, I recalled the article. Grin

Karlok - 04 March 2019 08:02 AM

I’ll try to find an easy screenshot for you.

We’re all eagerly waiting for you at AGSUG.

Sorry for the small off-topic folks! Zobraks over and out.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top