• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

cyfoyjvx - 22 February 2019 05:34 PM

I’m wondering if we should slow the pace. Both Pegbiter and chrissie have indicated they aren’t able to keep up, and we still haven’t heard from Hold Me Close yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks cyfo for thinking about those of us who haven’t kept up - it’s appreciated!
I’m finding the game to need more focus than I anticipated so it’s no problem to me for you to progress with the playthrough. The game is intriguing & I’ve done enough to understand why it’s done so well in the Aggies!    Thumbs Up
I’m intending to persist but please don’t wait - I’ll either catch up or I won’t!  Smile

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2018-12-03

PM

cyfoyjvx - 22 February 2019 05:34 PM

I’m wondering if we should slow the pace. Both Pegbiter and chrissie have indicated they aren’t able to keep up, and we still haven’t heard from Hold Me Close yet.

Thoughts?

Hi cyfo
Sorry for lagging behind! I am caught up and in fact, last night I played for 5 hours and reached my 30 fates target. Smile
At first I was a little put off by the violence and scariness but the story really drew me in and I can say I am absorbed in the fateful events of the ship Smile

I can’t wait to see what happens next but I will hold off playing so we can go on together.

Much love
Heart

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Hey guys, I’m also a little bit behind schedule but let that be of no importance for the overall pace of the playthrough. I’m really enjoying the game and dying to steal a good 5-hour session to play it more seriously as it is hard to stay focused if you play it on short portions.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 23 February 2019 07:13 AM

Let’s move on then.

Task for this week:

-Reach 30 fates solved

Done.

Even overshot it a little. I was at 28 when I saw the last memory in the game. I’m at 33 verified, but I think I’m at 35. Which means I’ll get a free guess at someone’s name next week. Tongue
I went over 30 because I had a train of thought that I didn’t want to interrupt. It lead to a number of names.

Even after the Kraken, I still wasn’t expecting those spider/crab things. I’m beginning to put the puzzle together, but I’m still missing a big piece with Chapter VIII. And with not yet having identified everyone.

The first memory of Chapter VI has been invaluable at identifying all the topmen, even if there was some guessing involved to name all the Asians.

Glad to see the second mate got what’s coming to him, the cowardly greedy bastard. So far, it looks like he’s the cause of all of this.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 24 February 2019 04:49 PM

Even after the Kraken, I still wasn’t expecting those spider/crab things.

Me neither. For some reason I didn’t even find the Kraken that out of place within the setting of the game, but the crabs kind of freaked me out. Maybe because I really hate spiders, but also because you can’t make much out with the graphics and the riders kind of remind me of the girls from the Ring movies.

The first memory of Chapter VI has been invaluable at identifying all the topmen, even if there was some guessing involved to name all the Asians.

That’s impressive work, first time around I didn’t get to identify most of the Asian topmen until quite late in the game. With some trial and error. I’m finding more and more subtle ways of deducing things this playthrough. And there were a lot of things happening in some of the memories I didn’t understand that I’m seeing in a new light.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 25 February 2019 02:26 AM

With some trial and error.

I didn’t say I didn’t use trial and error for them. Grin
But immediately being able to determine who all the topmen are was a big help.

The same with the “Justice at sea” sketch. You can tell by the uniforms who the mates are, who the stewards are, who some of the other officers are, etc.. I’ve already named several with educated guesses. The fourth mate’s steward is always in the vicinity of the fourth mate, for instance. And I got lucky on occasion, like when putting names to the carpenter and his mate. I had both names but didn’t know who was who, and I guessed correctly.

There’s still one *very* active person, who is in almost half of all memories, that’s bugging me because I have no clue who he is or what he does.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, reached the stopping point. The game has gotten really creepy. The black and white graphics really add to the creepiness. Like the origonal psycho.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Mikekelly - 26 February 2019 07:28 PM

Ok, reached the stopping point. The game has gotten really crappy now. The black and white graphics really add to the creepiness. Like the origonal psycho.

Heart

Did you mean creepy or crappy?  Laughing

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Too funny. I fixed it. It should have been creepy.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Task for this week:

-Reach 45 fates solved

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Done, took me less than 45 minutes, and was following a train of thought (which felt like a trail of bread crumbs to crew identities) so I went ahead for another hour or so and solved 58 fates instead.
Got a “There’s nothing left to do on the Obra Dinn” message for my troubles. Grin

Savegame says I’m at 8 hours 45 minutes at the moment.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ok, I am also at the game goal for this week. The game just gets creepier and creepier.

Savegame says I’m at 8 hours 45 minutes at the moment.

To me, that’s a good solid amount of game play. It is also a game I would like love to play a second time.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mikekelly - 02 March 2019 06:20 PM

To me, that’s a good solid amount of game play. It is also a game I would like love to play a second time.

There’s more to come. I still haven’t seen Chapter VIII, and I"m still missing two fates. There’s an endgame.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 16 February 2019 06:30 PM

Why is everyone claiming this game is non-linear?

You need to advance through Chapter X (The End) before you get to Chapter VII (The Doom).
You need to advance through Chapter VII before you get to Chapter IX (The Escape).
You need to advance through Chapter IX before you get to Chapter III (Murder).
You need to advance through Chapter III before you get to the Orlop deck, where you can start both Chapter II (A Bitter Cold) - which doesn’t lead anywhere else - and one other Chapter I haven’t started yet.

I’d wager the remaining chapters aren’t suddenly going to open all at once either. Seems pretty linear to me…

Hm, I started playing yesterday and have completed only a few fates yet, but I’m currently at the Orlop deck and I have seen absolutely nothing from chapter 3. If there was a certain trail of bodies I should have followed to get more fates correct, I missed it. Or the game is pretty non-linear… Tongue

Great game, love it. Marvelous graphics, very impressive in the Kraken scenes. I always love playing detective but to my own surprise I’m not good at it in this game. Frown

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have a question for Cyfo or someone else who has finished the game (and does not go by the name of Kurufinwe): I noticed the very first time I opened the book that one person standing next to the helm or wheel or whatever it’s called in the artist’s sketch is not blurred. Does that mean I should be able to identify this guy right from the start without even one flashback? Please no spoilers, just a simple yes or no will suffice.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top