• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #51: Return of the Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

HOLY F#@%ING HELL! IT’S A KRAKEN!!! Gasp

I should have known from the Memento Mortem that there would be more fantasy elements in this, but for some reason, my mind didn’t go towards sea monsters. Instead I was thinking more realistically: storms, sickness, pirate attacks and mutiny, maybe even a sneaky serial killer.

Edit: I solved my first 3 fates!
Although I suspect the “who’s who?” is going to get harder from now on…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Why is everyone claiming this game is non-linear?

You need to advance through Chapter X (The End) before you get to Chapter VII (The Doom).
You need to advance through Chapter VII before you get to Chapter IX (The Escape).
You need to advance through Chapter IX before you get to Chapter III (Murder).
You need to advance through Chapter III before you get to the Orlop deck, where you can start both Chapter II (A Bitter Cold) - which doesn’t lead anywhere else - and one other Chapter I haven’t started yet.

I’d wager the remaining chapters aren’t suddenly going to open all at once either. Seems pretty linear to me…

I’ve reached 18 solved fates, btw. Savegame indicates 4 hours 16 minutes played. Cool
The Chapters I’ve examined should be obvious by the above. Tongue

I love the graphics. They’re detailed, and possibly the most distinctive I’ve ever seen. I didn’t even have to get accustomed to them. They make sense for some reason.

Gameplay is extremely addictive. Jumping from memory to memory and figuring out who’s who and who did what, and basically just trying to figure out what happened, makes for a very compelling game!
It took a lot of restraint not to look at the next memory (including making a couple of educated guesses to get to 18 solved fates, precisely because I didn’t want to explore too many Chapters).

The deductions are fun. There’s a TON of information immediately visible in the crew sketches, and every memory has several clues to offer (especially if you look away from the action, it seems).
So far everything seems to be well thought-out. It’ll be interesting to get to the bottom of these events.

And I think it’s actually a really good idea to lump the validation of the fates together in threes.
Validating each one independently would allow you to brute-force it, which you can’t do now. But if you’re certain of two fates, then you can still experiment a little with the third.

It stops you from guessing, but allows for a little leeway. Clever!

Well done, Lucas Pope! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A crew of 51 seems a little small for a ship this size. Double or triple that amount would probably be more accurate.

In a way, you could say that this ship is run by…

a skeleton crew!

Grin

Smile

Neutral

Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 16 February 2019 06:30 PM

Why is everyone claiming this game is non-linear?

You need to advance through Chapter X (The End) before you get to Chapter VII (The Doom).
You need to advance through Chapter VII before you get to Chapter IX (The Escape).
You need to advance through Chapter IX before you get to Chapter III (Murder).
You need to advance through Chapter III before you get to the Orlop deck, where you can start both Chapter II (A Bitter Cold) - which doesn’t lead anywhere else - and one other Chapter I haven’t started yet.

I’d wager the remaining chapters aren’t suddenly going to open all at once either. Seems pretty linear to me…

Yes, there’s no doubting the opening of chapters is more or less linear (although to be honest I wasn’t sure if some on the lower decks could be accessed before others). The problem is that if the goal for the week was to reach, say, chapter V, then you could do that in 20 minutes just by plowing ahead and viewing lots of memories. It doesn’t mean you’ve solved anything.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 16 February 2019 07:00 PM

Yes, there’s no doubting the opening of chapters is more or less linear (although to be honest I wasn’t sure if some on the lower decks could be accessed before others). The problem is that if the goal for the week was to reach, say, chapter V, then you could do that in 20 minutes just by plowing ahead and viewing lots of memories. It doesn’t mean you’ve solved anything.

Just plowing through to see lots of memories will probably only make it harder if you’re not already busy trying to deduce as many fates and identities as possible, since it makes more people identifiable at the same time. It wouldn’t be playing the game “properly”, imo.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Actually completed this game in Jan so not playing it again so soon after. Gotta admit though I ended up having to use a walkthrough to identify quite a lot of people after unlocking every scene and chapter, clue etc. Even with all the clues and everything I was still stumped.

It became way too difficult to identify anyone. And for me at least it was also sometimes pretty much impossible to figure out how someone died or who the murderers were.

It’s actually one of the hardest games I’ve ever played lol

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Played chapter X, VII and IX and I really love this game so far. It is like a detective mystery with all the clues there to try to figure out whodunnit and how for 60 crew members. The graphics are super stylized, and it is impressive how much detail he captured in what basically is 2 colors.  Thumbs Up

Edit:
By the way, concerning whether you play as a male or female character, I believe to switch you start a new game in any slot. It doesn’t matter which slot you choose, every time you fire up a new game the character alternates between male and female. At least, that’s what I observed from my attempts.

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

SoccerDude - 17 February 2019 03:20 PM

Played chapter X, VII and IX and I really love this game so far. It is like a detective mystery with all the clues there to try to figure out whodunnit and how for 60 crew members. The graphics are super stylized, and it is impressive how much detail he captured in what basically is 2 colors.  Thumbs Up

Yeah. To me some scenes look like pencil sketches from an old book, which is impressive for a 3D game. I’m actually curious to know how it would look and play in full color. I think the atmosphere would probably suffer, and the gameplay too. It’s great design because it lets your mind do the work of filling in the gaps and doesn’t interfere.

McCoy97 - 17 February 2019 10:25 AM

Actually completed this game in Jan so not playing it again so soon after. Gotta admit though I ended up having to use a walkthrough to identify quite a lot of people after unlocking every scene and chapter, clue etc. Even with all the clues and everything I was still stumped.

It became way too difficult to identify anyone. And for me at least it was also sometimes pretty much impossible to figure out how someone died or who the murderers were.

It’s actually one of the hardest games I’ve ever played lol

I too found some people very difficult to identify.

To anyone else that may be struggling, what I can say is that on my second playthrough I’m noticing how much I missed the first time around that would have helped me, and made many of my previous leaps of logic and guesses unnecessary. Even really obvious things. It’s deceptive how much detail there is, you just need to look. So if you’re tempted to look at a walkthrough, I recommend going back and examining everything, because it’s highly likely you missed something that will help you. That might be in the environments, in the pictures, in the sounds and voices. Even the smallest detail can help you make an important connection.

That said, it is a very difficult game at times, so don’t beat yourself up!  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have reached the stopping point. A very different game from any I have played before. The graphics really help the atmosphere.

Glad to see this game got some Aggies, it deserves them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I have also reached the stopping point. Really cool game so far. I was surprised to see the beasts and supernatural aspects appearing because I thought it would be a historically accurate game from what I saw and read about it and I can say it has only added to my interest in seeing what happens next. It seems like we are going deeper into the story despite not going forwards in a linear time progression sense.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

It turns out I was way too optimistic about having time to take part in this playthrough. Perhaps I will be able to catch up next week.

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I’m wondering if we should slow the pace. Both Pegbiter and chrissie have indicated they aren’t able to keep up, and we still haven’t heard from Hold Me Close yet.

Thoughts?

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

This has been one of the most interesting games I’ve played in a very long time. As I mentioned before, I had no idea what to expect, but this game is just amazing! I definitely wasn’t expecting it to go kraken, merpeople, bloody spider crab human things crazy! I will agree though it’s getting pretty tough figuring out who is who while discovering things backwards or out of order. I’m also glad to see it won some Aggies, well deserved. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Let’s move on then.

Task for this week:

-Reach 30 fates solved

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This wil be fun - I’m doing our new task as we speak. Sadly, I’ve read some spoilers so I do know what to expect from this part of the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top