• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Technobabylon Sequel (Technobabylon: Birthright) First Screenshots Revealed.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Dave Gilbert tweeted out the first ever look at Wadjet Eye & Technocrat’s new Technobabylon game.
We see some shots of (presumably) Latha Sesame now working as a CEL officer and a look at the Trance.

The first thing that jumps out is the move to 3D, obviously. In my opinion the visuals look okay, but just okay. I’m hoping they can make some improvements because personally I’d rather have great retro art over middling modern graphics.

Regardless, I’m still really excited to get another Technobabylon game. The first one is my favorite of the Wadjet Eye catalog and more time with those characters and that world can only be a good thing in my book.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I gather Technobabylon was some kind of a hit, considering that they have switched engines and abandoned the ever so fashionable retro pixel look.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

If technobabylon was a hit this is the first im hearing of it. Regardless its great news to me that theyr continuing it because i really think technobabylon is one of their best stories.

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve been playing games from Dave and Ben for almost 20 years (since the Reality-on-the-Norm days) so I’m very excited to see them branch out into 3D and court a more mainstream audience but…this is just not good enough. This visual style looks incredibly dated, lacks any of the atmosphere and detail created with the first game and appears to be above their skill level.

These guys are hardcore adventure game fans. They saw what happened with games like Simon 3D and Broken Sword: The Angel of Death. They should know the pitfalls of forcing 3D when not up to it or not fully committed to it.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^in 3 out of the 4 screenshots i think the atmosphere and detail are there and perfectly fine. This is the danger of showing work in progress. Yes it looks outdated, and thats totally on course for what wadjet does, why not a different outdated? What will be important is that it handles smoothly and that the strong content is there.

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I guess I’m more disappointed that they’re not seizing this opportunity to take a big leap forward. I want them to make a more technically ambitious game which challenges them in new ways but these screens make me think they’re not up to the challenge. If they want to modernize and go 3D—hire artists who can do it. This is the kind of situation where I think they need to decide if Wadjet is the work of people who got their start in casual freeware or a professional games company.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

The pixel art games that Wadjet Eye is known for have a deliberate aesthetic. It’s a top notch version of that style. There’s a difference between having an intentionally retro look and trying to do modern graphics but missing the mark.

Technobabylon would have been one of the best looking games of the 90s. This would not be one of the best looking games 10 years ago.

I think they’re better off going for a more stylized look. A style where they can make the simplicity work for them. Right now the game comes off like an attempt at a Bioware game (visually) that’s missing the mark.

tomimt - 19 February 2019 09:38 AM

I gather Technobabylon was some kind of a hit, considering that they have switched engines and abandoned the ever so fashionable retro pixel look.

Depends on what you consider a hit. I’m assuming the game did well by their expectations. It’s got an 82 on MetaCritic and over 100k users on steamspy.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m also a little put off by these screenshots. I hope that the final result will be above these work in progress shots. I love all of Wadjet Eye games and besides the storytelling one major reason for that is the very consistent and nicely presented art direction. Like the others, I’m not saying that I expect only pixel art games. But these shots look way too average compared with the gorgeous screens I spent hours looking at.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Technobabylon i think is easily their best game, by a country mile. Great story and top notch puzzle design. Challenging but always makes sense.

The new art style is ok to me. Who knows how far they really are

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

i like the look, somewhat. 3 out of 4 look promising but not into the one face closeup.  3d sounds cool… but why not just jump to high res 2d instead?  not polygons but pixel art but in hd would have been sufficient, that’s what i’m waiting for people to do and become standard.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Looks promising. Glad Gilbert and friends dares to enter new territory.

Liked TB a lot.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what year is it today, looks 1999.

honestly why cant devs learn from yesterday. that is said, i am too excited about Strangeland from the devs of Primordia more. but good luck anyways ..

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Don’t expect UE4 graphics or similar. Anyway, James Dearden himself says they are prototypes so surely it will look better in the end.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Looks decent enough to me. I don’t need next-gen graphics to enjoy a game.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Wadjet Eye (or Technocrat) have never failed. It`s not an option Wink

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Game looks great, hope it plays well also. Wadjet is getting modern and I am fine with that.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top