• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It’s funny that you mentioned the League of Light games because I took advantage of the BOGO Presidents’ Day Sale and bought two of them, The Game and Edge of Justice.  I also bought Fright Chasers: Director’s Cut and MCF: The Countess.  I haven’t played any casual games in several months, but since I can’t play Return of the Obra Dinn without upgrading my computer’s OS, I decided to play some casuals instead.  I’d be up for a quick playthrough of The Game while deciding which adventure games I want to play next.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, that’s three of us. I’d like to get two more, but I’d be willing to give it a go with just the three of us. The rules would be a bit different. Instead to specifying an end point, I suggest we just play for an hour a day, post a screenshot to compare where we are, the second day is for discussion and to allow for everyone to catch up. Repeat.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ll join in - I’ve played about 10 mins of the trial just to see & it seems interesting.
Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I also took advantage of the BOGO sale and bought it. Downloaded already.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Maybe Mike the Wino will join as well. With five or six players, I’ll go back to the normal process of setting a goal for each playing day.

I should be able to get the playthrough up and running by Tuesday or Wednesday. Because it will be fairly short, and it’s likely to contain a lot of conversation, I don’t think there will be any need to pin it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Great! Cool

Gives me something to do while I await the next section of the Return of the Obra Dinn playthrough. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thumbs Up

Since both you and chrissie are also playing the Obra Dinn playthrough I’ll leave it up to you two to keep me advised re: the casual’s pace of play. As I said earlier, this should be fun, but I don’t want it to impinge on the AGCPT.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 17 February 2019 06:54 PM

Since both you and chrissie are also playing the Obra Dinn playthrough I’ll leave it up to you two to keep me advised re: the casual’s pace of play. As I said earlier, this should be fun, but I don’t want it to impinge on the AGCPT.

I’ve been actively trying to allot more time for AG’ing lately, and have already finished the current section for the AGCPT (which basically clears my schedule until next Saturday), so I don’t think you’ll have to worry about impinging on the AGCPT for me.

In other words, I’ll leave it up to chrissie. Grin

Edit: game is downloaded and ready.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A few updates to my list.

I originally said that I liked the Andersen Chapter One game. I really did like it when I first played it. I thought the story was good. And while I thought there were too many HO scenes, I didn’t give them much thought. And, since I bought the CE version, (which was a worthwhile purchase,) the second time I played it I was after the achievements. And, again I didn’t pay much attention to the HO scenes.

Well, I recently replayed it for a third time. The HO scenes appear far to frequently. And with the exception of two or three of them, they contribute nothing to the story. Some of the events could have been much more entertaining. For example, traveling between destinations requires only that you watch a video of a motorcycle going from Point A to Point B. Where’s the fun in that? I could have been like Cadenza, where you had to do some serious map work to get to your next destination.

Bottom line is that the game has gone from my really like pile to my “not so much” pile. And, FWIW, I played the demo of the second installment. Knowing what I now know/think about the first game, the new one is not much better.

On a similar note, when I posted my list of games played in 2018, Mike the Wino said that he had been playing some old Final Cut games. Since I absolutely loved Death on a Silver Screen I decided to choose/play another game in the series. At random I chose Fade to Black. Maybe Mike will give us a list of what games in the series he liked and which he didn’t. For me ... this game didn’t cut it. The story was interesting. But the characters were purposely hard to keep track of. Which I found annoying even though it was integral to the plot. Graphics were all over the map.

So there’s a mini update.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I have played the first four Final Cut Games, after which I gave up on them. The first one, Silver Screen is the only one I really liked. The second, Encore, wasn’t bad but the third one was horrible and I doubt it ever really recovered from that.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If the occasion ever presents itself, I may nominate Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen for a Casual Flash Playthrough. Although since it requires the CE to finish the game, and the game is close to 12 hours in length, I’m not sure how many players we could get. At 12 hours, it’s longer than the recently-completed Obra Dinn playthrough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I may be the last person who didn’t already know this, but I didn’t recognize that the Victorian era murderer in Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can was supposed to be Jack the Ripper.

A few nights ago I saw something on the news that intimated that the “real” Jack the Ripper had been identified. I don’t remember his name, but he was identified as a Polish immigrant, who’s occupation was a barber. The detectives couldn’t supply a motive.

Actually they weren’t detectives, but rather forensic biologists who were able to trace mitochondrial DNA back to the barber. The source of the DNA was from the shawl of the last know Ripper victim. Her name was Catherine Eddowes!!!

I sat up and said “I know that name!” I replayed some of the game and low and behold there it was. Strange.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

No, you are not the last person; apparently I am because you clearly found out before me. I can’t say I am really pleased by the knowledge either as i think the game works better without an historical figure as the murderer.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I can’t remember whether I saw the broadcast on CBS Morning News or the PBS News Hour.

Here is a Wiki article on what led to the broadcast. There is a lot of background stuff, but the interesting part is the peer-reviewed scientific article published earlier this year.

I agree with you that this is probably more information than I needed to know. Although it does not change my opinion that this was a very good game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Got around to replaying Enigmatis - The Ghosts of Maple Creek. Despite there being far too many hidden object scenes and the lack of an interactive map, I enjoyed it. It was the first game in the trilogy, and it was released over eight years ago, so it’s fair to cut it some slack. The story still holds up very well. And, even though I have played the game multiple times, the underlying sense of tension/anxiety/unease/etc. still exists. Great game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top