• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 11 February 2019 11:33 AM

I am getting on with it! Wink Voting has lasted for 2 weeks, and despite Diego’s last-minute votes, I declare Return of the Obra Dinn the winner of this playthrough. 

Cyfoyjvx, feel free to set up the playthrough thread when you are ready.

badlemon - 12 February 2019 06:38 AM

It will be indeed a good thing to play a fresh game that many people will be discovering for the first time.

Thanks Lady K.

I will confess, I am finding it very difficult to set this playthrough up in a way which will keep the surprise and anticipation fresh and intact. It is a very open game with minimal structure. Two players could find themselves in very different situations with what they know and what they have seen.

It’s not impossible to do, just difficult. A big part of the game is being free to wander and investigate. I wonder what everyone thinks of an open playthrough thread instead without a set structure? I’m just not sure a game like this can have a single leader, and I really don’t want to ruin it for anybody.

Any suggestions? I’m new to this.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

cyfoyjvx - 12 February 2019 08:52 AM

I will confess, I am finding it very difficult to set this playthrough up in a way which will keep the surprise and anticipation fresh and intact. It is a very open game with minimal structure. Two players could find themselves in very different situations with what they know and what they have seen.

It’s not impossible to do, just difficult. A big part of the game is being free to wander and investigate. I wonder what everyone thinks of an open playthrough thread instead without a set structure? I’m just not sure a game like this can have a single leader, and I really don’t want to ruin it for anybody.

Any game can and should have a single leader who has played the game. All you have to do is organise/time the playthrough and write a short introduction without spoilers. You mentioned ten chapters you could use, perhaps with the instruction not to wander off and not do extra stuff?

The problem with an open playthrough is that people are bound to discuss things other players haven’t encountered yet. It’s very hard to avoid spoilers, all the more so if we use spoiler tags, which is customary in CPs.

EDIT: I had my doubts if Obra Dinn was suitable for a CP, and voiced them when I voted but nobody responded. I’ll do some checking. If it turns out to be unsuitable I won’t participate in the CP.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

If you know that opening a certain door or solving a certain puzzle will open up too many more options, you can always tell the players to avoid doing those things until later.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 12 February 2019 08:52 AM

It’s not impossible to do, just difficult. A big part of the game is being free to wander and investigate.

This is something that can be enforced by the playthrough leader. If we’re free to roam in the game, you can limit our movements to streamline the playthrough a bit more.

For instance “Do NOT enter the cargo hold and the galley yet” (and providing screenshots of the access points so we know what to avoid). Similar to what Intense Degree did with the Shivers playthrough.

I wonder what everyone thinks of an open playthrough thread instead without a set structure? I’m just not sure a game like this can have a single leader, and I really don’t want to ruin it for anybody.

Not sure about this. I don’t know how Return of the Obra Dinn works (yet) but the idea of a CPT is that we at least feel like we’re playing the same game.
If everyone is at vastly different points in the game, it becomes difficult to know which spoiler tags we can safely read and which we still need to avoid.

Also, having more than one leader could have us go in multiple directions at once, adding confusion. It’s best if there’s but one single leader, especially for less linear games.

You should probably look at points where you can break up the playthrough in sections.
Are there chapters that need to be finished before an other one can be started? Finishing one such chapter could be a good break point.
Is there an introductory chapter that’s more confined?
Are there some chapters that can be completed entirely on one part of the ship? Remember, you can always limit our movement somewhat - the playthrough leader has the power to decide how we play the game. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

It’s not quite that simple with the chapters, since there can be several chapters open at the same time, but I’ll do my best.

Thanks for the advice Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The game will be fun. You got several players who are.vets who can help. Really, any game can have a CPT with a little work. 

Anyway, thanks for leading the CPT!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Now that the last playthrough is done, it’s time to vote for the next one. My nominees are:
Unavowed (last year’s ag of the year on this website)
Beneath a Steel Sky: In anticipation of the lobg awaited sequel
The Journey Down

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Okay.  You have until April 18 to get your nominations and votes in for this round.  The last week of voting could be shortened if we don’t get any new votes after 3 days.  Also, please let us know if you’re willing to lead any of the nominated games.

I nominate and could lead Tormentum: Dark Sorrow.  I also vote for The Journey Down.

The Journey Down (2) - SoccerDude, Lady Kestrel (Do you mean all 3 chapters, SD?

Beneath a Steel Sky (1) - SoccerDude This was a community playthrough in 2005, but I think after 14 years it still deserves a nomination.
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (1) - Lady Kestrel (leader0
Unavowed (1) - SoccerDude

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars deserves a playthrough more as neither the original nor its sequels have ever participated in a playthrough before. I’m even willing to lead, I think I’m experienced enough to handle it!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 28 March 2019 04:53 PM

The Journey Down - (Do you mean all 3 chapters, SD?)

Yeah, the 3 chapters are connected, and together form the full game. It is like a full game and the developer divided into 3 parts(probably for monetary reasons).

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Journey Down, Ch. 1-3 (2) - SoccerDude, Lady Kestrel
Unavowed (2) - Mike Kelly (leader), SoccerDude

Beneath a Steel Sky (1) - SoccerDude
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (1) - Doom (leader)
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (1) - Lady Kestrel (leader)

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Unavowed I will lead

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I added your choice in my previous post, Mikekelly.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I nominate Still Life and Catyph: The Kunci Experiment.

I vote for The Journey Down, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars and Tormentum: Dark Sorrow.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I will vote for Beneath a Steel Sky. I refuse to vote for Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars due to the grammatical error: if there are multiple templars then they should have multiple shadows, not one shadow. Well, unless they are conjoined twins.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top