• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckydiego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 8 November 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Malcolm’s not only the only interesting character in a game full of bland characters (including the hero), he also gives good advice!

The Legend of Kyrandia is one of these games (like King’s Quest V and Indy 3) that I still have a certain fondness for because they wowed me as a child, despite seeing now that they were awfully designed.

Then again, I’ll take Kyrandia 1 and its maze, its random gem puzzle and its nonsensical bell puzzle over Kyrandia 2 and its 4-screen levels or Kyrandia 3 and its confusing weirdness and horrible soundtrack any day.

Hmm. Come to think of it, I guess I don’t really like the series… Meh

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

A lot of people seem to hate the Kyrandia series, but I’ve always loved it. For its time the graphics were amazing (or compared to a lot of the other games I played at that point anyway) and I loved the medieval fantasy world. It was just fantastic. Sure, the characters aren’t the best in the first game, but the second and third really makes up for that I think. I especially enjoy the second game. Ah, memories Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kyrandia 2 four-screen levels?  Confused

I don’t know what this means. Hand of Fate was great. The peak of the series, although the other two were good too.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I loved the first two Kyrandia games a long time ago. Beautiful graphics, and I’ve allways been a sucker for magical fantasy worlds. I remember getting Malcolms revenge from Home of the Underdogs, but without voice-acting. Knowing that there were recorded voices for the game I put it on hold until I could find a voiced version. The sad thing is that because of that decision, I didn’t get to play it until it became supported by ScummVM. What makes that so sad, is that by then I had developed a strong allergy towards dead ends, and because the previous games in the series had them, I guess I just assumed that Malcoms Revenge did too, and decided to put it on the shelf indefinitely. Only recently did I learn that it doesn’t have any dead ends, and the graphics are perfect to my taste, so a retry is coming up before long Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 08 November 2012 06:28 PM

Everything after the city (I’ve forgotten its name) was just very short levels, with only a handful of locations and puzzles in each, and a reset inventory at the start of each. I really don’t like that sort of design: it makes the game feel small and uninteresting. Zanthia’s a better character than Blandon, and the first half of Hand of Fate is probably the highlight of the series, but overall I like Kyrandia 1 better than Kyrandia 2.

But when it comes to King’s Quest clones, I’ll take Dragonsphere over the Kyrandia series any day.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 09 November 2012 11:29 AM
Oscar - 08 November 2012 06:28 PM

Everything after the city (I’ve forgotten its name) was just very short levels, with only a handful of locations and puzzles in each, and a reset inventory at the start of each. I really don’t like that sort of design: it makes the game feel small and uninteresting. Zanthia’s a better character than Blandon, and the first half of Hand of Fate is probably the highlight of the series, but overall I like Kyrandia 1 better than Kyrandia 2.

But when it comes to King’s Quest clones, I’ll take Dragonsphere over the Kyrandia series any day.

Agreed on both counts. Actually I can’t remember anything about Hand of Fate after the starting section in Zanthia’s forest, so you must be right about the first half being better.

Dragonsphere is top quality, if lacking the lighthearted humor of Kyrandia.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I thought they were ok when they first came out. Not spectacular, but ok.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top