• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2018 Aventure Wise

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Vehelon - 29 December 2018 03:59 AM

Ghost of a Tale Fantastic adventure stealth game. Game of the year 5/5

Never heard of this one but it looks pretty interesting. Gonna have to check it out

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Best of the year for me is between unavowed or obra dinn. Obra dinn is an extremely clever well designed engaging puzzle experience… with a very subtle often vague story. Unavowed has a sprawling immersive story that made me care about the characters, but puzzles that do the bare minimum. Still there is something to be said for a game that stays at the minimum in puzzles rather than below. And there are so many slight variations and methods for solving puzzles with different results. So i give the edge to unavowed.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

36 games complete in total this year of which the following were adventure games or adventure-ish (In play order).Decent adventure game year for me. Lots of it because of Discord group plays.

What Remains of Edith Finch - Great story, no puzzles.
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture - Another Walking sim. One of the stories is awright. Storty 2 is BS of the highest order.
Murdered: Soul Suspect - Interesting concept, poor execution. Side Stories are better than the main story.
The Turing Test Puzzle game, Portal without the humour, Character or ingenuity. Lucky it was free.
Rime - Puzzle platformer. It was ok.
*Day of the Tentacle Remastered - Clearly the Best Adventure game ever made.
*Broken Sword 1- Didn’t need the tacked on sections in this remaster. Still fantastic though.
*Broken Sword 2 - Not as good as the first game. What a disapointment. Probably the worst of the series.
*Broken Sword 3 - Brave move to 3D. I loved the controls and new 3D world. Shame about the box puzzles.
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit- Nice little stop gap for the Life is Strange series.
*Barrow Hill - Enjoyed it.
Barrow Hill: The Dark Path - Not quite as good as the first game
*Dracula: The Resurrection - OK but no real bite.
*Dracula:The Last Sanctuary - Middling game
*Dracula: The Path of the Dragon- Strong third game. I enjoyed this better than the first two.
*The Lost Crown- Fun ghost hunting game.
Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Dry - Way better than it should have been. This was a lot of fun.
*Broken Sword 4 - Keeps the 3D, but put in a weird PnC interface with no controller support. Ditched Nico for most of the game. Enjoyed, but low on the Sword game rank.
The Silent Age - This is a fun little time travel story.
*Under a Killing Moon - Brilliant game.
*Gabriel Knight 1(*2) - Fantastic game. Played both the original and the 20th remastered version. The newer game adds in pointess puzzles and ruins the atmosphere of the original. Play the original.
Prominence - Graphics are too clean, but this is a great game that i’m sad I missed when it first came out.
*Grim Fandango- 2nd best adventure game of all time (IMO) Peaks in Year 2, but still a hell of a lot of fun.
*Broken Sword 5- Back to great art and a PnC interface. Would have prefered if they didn’t chicken out from a 3D world to pamper to annoying fans, but this is a great Broken Sword game and probably No2 in the ranking of BS games.

*replays

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think I’ve played enough of the major releases to give a top 5
1) Return of the Obra Dinn
2) Pillars of the Earth
3) The Gardens Between
4) Orwell: Ignorance Is Strength
5) Forgotton Anne

I would probably fit Unavowed in there if I had an extra spot but truth is I didn’t find it that memorable. Far: Lone Sails and The Shapeshifting Detective both get an honorable mention. There’s not much else to speak of in this rather forgettable year.

Still yet to play Larry but it’s still a bit pricey considering I’m not a huge fan of the series.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Here is my TOP 5 of the year
1) Lake Ridden
2) Tiny & Tall: Gleipnir
3) Lust For Darkness
4) Iris Fall
5) Miazma or The Devil’s Stone
6) Moss
7) NAIRI: Tower of Shirin
8) The Shapeshifting Detective
9) The Red Strings Club
10) Path to Mnemosyne

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t played everything there was to play this year but I absolutely loved:
Stonewall Penitentiary
Unforeseen Incidents
Lamplight City
Unavowed
Miazma
Rusty Lake Paradise
Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry
Football Game
+ I played many more very enjoyable games ......too numerous to mention but included a lot of older games as well as new

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

I think I played a lot last year (Not all of these were released in 2018 obviously. I’ve got a huge backlog of games I want to play). Let’s see

Cayne-Fell kinda flat for me, but good for being free

Shardlight-Excellent. One of my favorite Wadjet Eye games.

Batman: The Enemy Within-Basically finished the season off. Enjoyed it overall.

The Franz Kafka Video Game-Awful.

The Dream Machine-Very unique and surreal. I enjoyed it.

Carol Reed- I basically played my way through the entire series. Nice scenery to explore, but very repetitive games. I still like them and would continue playing this series.

Life is Strange: Before The Storm Bonus Episode-So bittersweet.

Empathy: Path of Whispers-Hours upon hours trying to figure out the stupid radar device, but when I finally did, it wasn’t half bad for a casual game.

Old Man’s Journey-More of a puzzle game. It was all right. The story was kinda nice.

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker-Well done, fun game. I love me some FMV.

Kathy Rain-Good game that reminded me of other things, especially Gabriel Knight. Definitely left some unanswered questions though.

The Last Crown: Midnight Horror-Obviously low budget and glitchy, but decent for what it was. Still waiting for the next game. And waiting and waiting…

Bear With Me-It was fine. The jokes didn’t always land for me. Most of the puzzles were not hard, except for a couple I thought were unnecessary. The ending was good.

The Fidelio Incident-This game was gorgeous. I felt like I was there. The music was beautiful. For what was essentially a walking simulator, I thought it was very good.

The Awesome of Adventures of Captain Spirit and Life is Strange 2: Episode 1-Nice demo, and the first episode was promising. Waiting and waiting for episode 2.

The Sexy Brutale-I really didn’t like it. Not my kind of game, sorry. I did like the story though.

RiME-More of a platformer with puzzles, but I liked it a lot. Although it was sad.

The Walking Dead: The Final Season Episodes 1 & 2-Wow, I did not like the way they changed the camera and the combat was next to impossible for me, until I found tricks to get through it. It frustrated me, but setting that aside, it’s shaping up to be the best since the first season story wise. I’m glad Skybound will be finishing the series off in the wake of the death of TellTale. RIP.

Unavowed-Probably my favorite game of the year. It was fantastic and I was happy to be back in the Blackwell universe in a sense.

Agatha Knife-Darkest of dark humor lol. Not going to be for everyone, but I found it fun.

Lamplight City-Loved the setting, but was a little bit disappointed with it because if you mess up, progress gets cut off and so you end up missing parts of the game.

Night in the Woods-I found it fun bouncing around everywhere, smashing things and stuff. The writing was great. Not much in the way of gameplay though.

Firewatch-Liked exploring, liked the story, the game would freeze on me every time a day started though. And the radio controls were kind of weird.

Lydia-Disappointing. This was more of a rough draft of a game. The characters speaking gibberish was annoying to listen to. The situations felt authentic though. I’ll give it that.

The Artifact-Not bad, but too short. Should have had keyboard controls for the movement. It felt like minimal effort was put into it aside from the graphics.

The Shapeshifting Detective-Last game I finished in 2018. Little challenge, but it was fun shapeshifting into the different characters. And nice to see Jenks again from Contradiction Wink I think I liked Doctor Dekker a little more though.

I also played around in some RPGs: Skyrim and Dragon Age: Origins. I also played through a hidden object game collection I nabbed as an impulse buy. Don’t recommend doing that. They were mostly of poor quality.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m a bit late to the party, but these new year threads are a good opportunity to look back on a year of gaming.

My top 3: (no particular order)
- Gorogoa: an original game with gorgeous graphics and an oneiric stance.
- The Darkside Detective: simply hilarious!
- The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker: I liked it better than Contradiction and The Shapeshifting Detective, which I both enjoyed. I got completely enthralled in it, often forgetting that my goal was to find out who killed Dr Dekker and not just play shrink to those patients. The acting was deceptively convincing, no comparison with the aforementioned games (which, while clearly above the sub-B-level FMVs of the 90s, still retain a certain corniness to them), here several cast members had me believe they were crazy for a second.

The good:
- The Blackwell 3-5: excellent series with a slightly convoluted and bittersweet ending.
- The Journey Down: Chapter 2: I especially liked the original character art and the upbeat soundtrack.
- Syberia 1: relaxing. Gorgeous backgrounds, lots of backtracking and not that many knotty contraptions.
- The Shapeshifting Detective: solid FMV mystery, with a fun premise (I’ve longed for a game that would let you jump from body to body, this comes close enough), and that lets the player do most of the deducing. Still have to test that high replayability value I’ve read so much about.
- Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Dry: a very pleasant surprise. I’m not too fond of below-the-belt humour, but I was strangely nostalgic of the old Larry games, and the positive reviews decided me. Despite the many gross jokes and the more-than-occasional disgusting puzzle, I found it to be a sweet game, with a lovable title character and a welcome (if not too subtle) satire of tech-dependency.
- Unavowed: nice atmosphere and interesting party-based mechanics. Game design ensured you could solve every case no matter the composition of your team, that was clever. Didn’t see the twist coming and that made the story much better in my opinion.
- Lamplight City: so any game with detective work and a pseudo-Victorian setting automatically gets extra-points from me. With that out of the way, I honestly still thought it was good and would rate it above its current average. Writing and voice-acting were hit-and-miss though.
- Lost Chronicles of Zerzura: immersive adventure with questionable historical value and bland characters, but a nice inventor approach to puzzles.
- Subsurface Circular: I’m venturing on the outskirts of adventure-game territory here, it’s more of a dialogue-tree-based interactive story I guess? You’re a detective robot riding the subway, interrogating other robots to solve the disappearances of some of your kin. Well, that was pretty nice, and that’s not coming from a sci-fi fan.
- The Low Road: a fun spy comedy with pleasantly stylized graphics. On the easy side, but has several endings.
- Dirty Split: a nice little free-to-play detective game, enjoyable yet forgettable enough that I had to scan through my forum posts to remember playing it. Unusually high quality for a free game.

The mixed:
- Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect: it felt good to have Tex back, it felt good to have everyone back! And then there was that annoying stealth sequence, which actually wasn’t that hard to beat but I hated that there was a much simpler solution right under your nose - you could easily have borrowed the monk robe in the office to walk around unnoticed - that the game blatantly ignored. And then suddenly I was at the Half Life facility and all hell broke loose. I had to download a saved game to get past that part. I felt terrible about it. Now I’m not contesting quality, I just prefer my adventures stress-free. If I wanted to die every five seconds, I could just play The Colonel’s Bequest or LSL2.
- The Lion’s Song: that was… very cliché, especially the segments about the painter and the mathematician (I’m probably more lenient with the musician since it was the first episode and I have no experience of composing). I liked the art style and the fact that you could shape the story in many different little ways, though.
- Alter Ego: felt a bit like a poor man’s Sherlock Holmes, except half the time you’re a servant-wooing petty thief and the other half you’re basically Watson. I enjoyed the setting but never really cared for either character. It could have been much better if the studio hadn’t had to rush through finishing it, leaving us with one of the worst endings in the history of adventure games.
- editing my post to add Detective Gallo. An appreciable traditional P&C, even though something about the graphical choices kept bothering me, I can’t quite put my finger on it, perhaps the colour palette was too strong on yellow…

The bad:
- Mata Hari: completely expendable. Not a waste of money since I got it thrown in the 1$-tier of a bundle, but close to being a waste of time. A long string of mini-games, between which you scour the streets for “inspiration” for your exotic dancing despite it never evolving, and travel hundreds of miles with a throng of spies at your heels just so you can make a phone call. True, you can skip the mini games, but then you’ll collect no “spy points” and have a terrible ending.
- The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit: this kid’s story was heartbreaking, and yet he managed to be so terribly annoying, I just wanted the day to be over.
- Art of Murder: FBI Confidential: terrible plot, atrocious dialogues, horrendously linear puzzles.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

The big dissapointment turned out to be Unavowed. I’ve played all of Gilberts earlier games and found them all good, some great. The fault with Unavowed was that it lacked in all his previous humour and wit, maybe a result from the new RPG-ish style.
The big surprise was Martin Ganteföhrs State of Mind. A return to the mood and questions of his earlier Moment of Silence but much more elegant and with AAA production.
Besides that playing Zero Horizon Dawn was a real adventure.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top