• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations for single-player games that two people can play together

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2017-01-15

PM

My wife and I game individually, but we also like to play single-player games together. We’ve found that games that generate discussion or involve decision making are the best, because it means that both of us can feel like we’re participating (rather than one person just passively watching).

Mystery games work well, for obvious reasons. We had a great time with Return of the Obra Dinn. The Painscreek Killings was good too (lots of discussions and note-taking), and the Sherlock Holmes games also work well. We also had fun with puzzly point-and-clicks like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park.

The ones that didn’t work quite so well were ones where you reveal story through lots of dialog choices.. Lamplight City and Life is Strange: Before the Storm fell into this category. Good games, but I think for these type of decisions sharing it with more than one person kind of dilutes the experience of playing a little. Or something like that - I’m not sure I can pin down exactly why they didn’t work so well.

I’m interested in recommendations for games that might work well for two people playing together? Alternatively, what do you think are the attributes of such games that distinguish them from the less successful ones?

Thanks!

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

maybe these games are what you are looking for:

Moebius: empire rising
Cognition
Gray matter
Memento mori 1+2

from my own experience, inventory based games are fun to play with two people, such as:

Secret files series
Lost horizon
Lost chronicles of zerzura
Runaway series

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Hi, trajectory. Welcome to AG. Smile

You specified “single player” but 39 Days to Mars is a co-op game that can be played right beside each other, and there are an increasing number of other adventure-style co-op games releasing as well, like the We Were Here series, so that’s something to consider as an alternate possibility.

Something else that may not pop immediately to mind but make GREAT shared experiences are text adventures. By their very nature they’re all about decision making so they’re ideal for discussing steps and strategies. If you’re really into it, one person can even take notes/draw maps while the other types.

Joined 2017-01-15

PM

eddyc - 12 January 2019 10:24 AM

maybe these games are what you are looking for:

Moebius: empire rising
Cognition
Gray matter
Memento mori 1+2

from my own experience, inventory based games are fun to play with two people, such as:

Secret files series
Lost horizon
Lost chronicles of zerzura
Runaway series

Great. We’ve played a couple of those, but the rest look interesting. Gray Matter and Lost Chronicles of Zerzura in particular. Thanks for the suggestions!

Joined 2017-01-15

PM

Jackal - 12 January 2019 11:58 AM

Hi, trajectory. Welcome to AG. Smile

Thank you - long time reader, first time poster…

You specified “single player” but 39 Days to Mars is a co-op game that can be played right beside each other, and there are an increasing number of other adventure-style co-op games releasing as well, like the We Were Here series, so that’s something to consider as an alternate possibility.

I haven’t looked into co-op games before, so this is really interesting. The first We Were Here is free to play so we will check that one out!

Something else that may not pop immediately to mind but make GREAT shared experiences are text adventures. By their very nature they’re all about decision making so they’re ideal for discussing steps and strategies. If you’re really into it, one person can even take notes/draw maps while the other types.

Good point. I’ve played quite a number of text adventures in my time, but always assumed my wife wouldn’t be interested. But it’s definitely worth a shot…

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

“Obduction” is also great for playing together. 

A friend and I had a great time playing it.

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

a game that looks promising and is sheduled to be released this year: The murder mystery machine.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

I’ve participated in a ton of group plays over the years which I love doing. But the game that was the most fun for me to play with another person was Black Watchmen, season one. I played with one friend in a thread at another forum and we filled up about 50 pages with our discussion. It’s a challenging game with a lot of chat potential. I’m currently playing Painscreek with a group on Discord and I’m enjoying it a lot. The next game up there is Gabriel Knight 2 and then Unavowed. I think playing with someone else just makes it more enjoyable.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Contradiction works really well for playing with another person (or a group of people), it’s mostly about making deductions, you can debate over whether a character looks like they’re lying or which piece of evidence proves them wrong.
The Shapeshifting Detective may work as well, it’s another click-based FMV in which you have to make choices about who you think tells the truth, the two of you could decide together which character to impersonate or which line of dialogue to use.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You didn’t mention anything about slight platforming or time-based puzzles but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a game where you can go one “multiplayer” step further and make deal with your partner about who controls which of the two protagonists (there’re separate controls on a keyboard or a game pad for two brothers).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top