• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloserwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished the wits path.
There seemed less to do in Monte Carlo except to get Trottier’s business card .
This time in Algiers’s you don’t seem to be able to get any info from the beggar & have to find the shopkeeper by exploration?
Algiers I thought was as much fun as in the team path - well the part in the town having to get the fez
Getting to the dig site by camel was more fun than the balloon I thought except for the legionaires & got a tad tedious.
The part in the dig site seemed to be the most similar to the previous fist & team paths. But how was I supposed to work out to use the statue with an orichalcum bead to charge the truck engine????? - I had to peek at a walkthrough for that as Plato didn’t seem to offer any clues or did I just miss them? 
I loved the bit back in Monte Carlo with the car chase & having to find the disc - that was fun!
It was good to go to Thera again - it took a while to work out to close stuff to get clues as normally you open things & it was good fun getting the items together to inflate the balloon but ...Oh NOOOO…............not another balloon ride….............aaaargh!!!!
Well…..I finally got to descend on the sub & with the puzzling found you couldn’t rely on the previous paths for any clues as it was so different!  Very enjoyable!
And this time .....although the labyrinth was more or less the same to navigate through there were interesting variations later on!

Can’t wait now for the last part!! 

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’ve reached Atlantis again.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen the Game Over screen following the sub-captain (sub-human). Crazy

The car chase is great fun and following the shopkeeper is definitely more fez-tive here.

I really like Sophia even though the best scene is yet to come. She is like a mix of all three woman from the movies. In my mind she always looked like this when not pixelated.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sir Beardalot - 04 January 2019 07:49 PM

One other easter egg/fun thing to do that I don’t think was mentioned is to go to the hotel room before talking to Trottier and turning off the lights via the fuse box then using the flashlight Smile Indy will use the flashlight to make finger puppet shadows on the wall. The last one is Max from Sam and Max but Indy jokingly says it’s Nur Ab Sal!

Good catch! I remember doing the shadow puppets in the past, but had forgotten about them now. Definitely something to mention in this playthrough!

Here’s Max’s cameo appearance! Grin

Another fun detail on the Team path: while you’re talking with Sophia in front of the hotel in Monte Carlo, you see a lot of people going in and out in the background.
Trottier only shows up AFTER Sophia has gone inside. You never see him while you’re still talking to her!

chrissie - 06 January 2019 10:49 AM

I think I answered most of the end of section questions already.

Yes, you did. I very much contemplated mentioning that in my end-of-section post, but I kept it more general.

As I didn’t go to Algiers first I didn’t get the mask! which is why (amusing anyway) Trottier could see that Indie was just [/spoiler] trying to scare him when I tried just using the sheet [/spoiler].

So after obtaining the Worldstone, you can no longer obtain the mask? Interesting.
Good foresight of the devs. Once an object becomes obsolete, you can no longer get it.

It looked like I was going to have to fight the captain - all the health etc bars came up but I think I just got out of his way & somehow knocked him out - I’m not sure how?  Laughing .

Running away means Indy knocks him out off-screen.
Fighting him is extremely easy, though. His health bar is less than Indy’s strength bar, so one hit is enough.
And his strength bar is so short that it takes several minutes of just standing there before you lose. Grin

Henke - 06 January 2019 11:25 AM

I really like Sophia even though the best scene is yet to come. She is like a mix of all three woman from the movies. In my mind she always looked like this when not pixelated.

Actually, Sophia was modeled after LucasArts’ Associate Director of Development at the time, Lucy Bradshaw (who went on to head Maxis, of The Sims, SimCity and Spore fame).

Sophia in-game:

Lucy Bradshaw:

I remember seeing a picture of her from the 90s, with darker hair, which was almost exactly like in the in-game screenshot, but alas, I couldn’t find it now.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 06 January 2019 02:46 PM
Henke - 06 January 2019 11:25 AM

Actually, Sophia was modeled after LucasArts’ Associate Director of Development at the time, Lucy Bradshaw (who went on to head Maxis, of The Sims, SimCity and Spore fame).

Sophia in-game:

Lucy Bradshaw:

I remember seeing a picture of her from the 90s, with darker hair, which was almost exactly like in the in-game screenshot, but alas, I couldn’t find it now.

I know, want to remember reading about it in The Adventurer with a picture which I thought looked nothing like Sophia in the game. While Robyn Lively in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles resembled her a lot IMO.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

chrissie - 06 January 2019 11:23 AM

But how was I supposed to work out to use the statue with an orichalcum bead to charge the truck engine????? - I had to peek at a walkthrough for that as Plato didn’t seem to offer any clues or did I just miss them?

Much earlier in the game there is a cutscene with Kerner and Ubermann you see them put the bead in the little statue and it comes to life. I’m guessing that would be the clue because if you do so yourself you will see that it has a spark, therefore you can use it to jumpstart the truck. I agree though it’s a bit of a vague clue.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sir Beardalot - 06 January 2019 03:22 PM
chrissie - 06 January 2019 11:23 AM

But how was I supposed to work out to use the statue with an orichalcum bead to charge the truck engine????? - I had to peek at a walkthrough for that as Plato didn’t seem to offer any clues or did I just miss them?

Much earlier in the game there is a cutscene with Kerner and Ubermann you see them put the bead in the little statue and it comes to life. I’m guessing that would be the clue because if you do so yourself you will see that it has a spark, therefore you can use it to jumpstart the truck. I agree though it’s a bit of a vague clue.

Thanks Sir Beardalot - I found the cutscene on YT. You see it right after you learn from the guy in the Azores that Plato’s book is in a collection at Barnett college - it’s even mentioned that the power can be used for trucks or tanks so the clue is not so vague unless you’re playing the game in a CPT & you’ve forgotten the clue by the time you need it!  Laughing

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 06 January 2019 02:46 PM

Sophia in-game:

Looks a bit like Kathy Ireland on that photo:

And older Lucy Bradshaw resembles Steffi Graff. Smile Speaking of Sophia, the first scene that comes to my mind is:

and someone bothered to make a really neat recreation of it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

diego - 08 January 2019 10:55 AM

Thanks for sharing diego, that’s really neat. BTW, great to have you back Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My goodness, Sophia does indeed look like Kathy Ireland on that photo: She would perfect to cosplay Her!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

diego - 08 January 2019 10:55 AM

That is cosplay done right.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Diego, don’t forget to also check out the Discord channel where there is a community playthrough of Toonstruck starting.

Total Posts: 407

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

I’ve just finished playing through the fists path for the first time ever (I’ve previously played through the wits and team paths multiple times).  I agree with a previous user’s comment, that the fists path comes the closest to capturing the feel of an Indiana Jones movie.  However, it’s also my least favourite of the three paths.

Something interesting I noticed this time around (which, incidentally, was my first time using the MT-32 emulator); the music when you first enter the colossus at the end of the game, is quite clearly “inspired” by the opening soundtrack to Kubrick’s The Shining...

The Colossus.

The Shining.

EDIT: A little further digging revealed that the opening soundtrack to The Shining is a synth version of ‘Dies Irae’.  However, it’s still fairly obvious that Fate of Atlantis based its version off the synth version from The Shining.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Reading this thread has prompted me to play the game, and in one day I reached Crete. That’s how good this game is, though it is quite a different feeling than how I remember it, partly (and mostly) because I realized that “Wits” (what I chose now) path is quite different to “Team” (the only Path I played before). If I’m not mistaken, Wits path has completely different locations - AND mini games! (Monte Carlo car chase). Again, if I’m not mistaken, the Algiers “Omar’s location” puzzle is unique for this path, and I want to discuss this puzzle a bit - I loved it, reminded me a bit of Monkey Island 1 “Storekeeper puzzle”, though I have some slight objections: First of all, it’s quite an “abstract puzzle”, and it hinges on player realizing that the servant is actually on an overhead map (it would be more appropriate if you exited the scene right after him in order to follow him (like in MI), and see him entering the left exit screen. As for the red fez, the man says everyone is wearing red fezes, yet there’s only one red dot (not to object too much about this one, because it makes life easier). Finally, the moment when Omar’s house becomes apparent, you need to be pixels away, even in the same street in an obvious servant’s field of view. I thought it would be more logical (and that’s what I kept repeating at first) that you need to “smart follow” him, meaning hiding behind corners and houses so he doesn’t notice you and keeps going to Omar. Actually, it doesn’t matter what you do, and the easiest way is to notice the spot where he entered the first time, and on a second try just wait near that house.

But that was actually the easy puzzle for me, because I knew from the start what I need to do in order to find the hidden location. I had much bigger “problems” with trivial stuff, like closing the crate in order to get the receipt (seriously, the hardest puzzle for me), and entering the torpedo (if I realized that I could just Walk to Torpedo, it would have been an easy puzzle, but I kept right-clicking on it for Use).

Someone asked (or mentioned) about the favorite locations, to me they’re right at the beginning at Tikal and Azores - they both feel quite vivid and adventurous. Though, I must confess that I’m experiencing less “lore”, background story and reading this time around,  with Atlantis, Plato and the general idea behind the game. I don’t know if it’s because I’m more experienced with adventure games and I’m running my way through, or because the Team Path features more of those.

I also liked very much the dark location with the “Touch” verb, though I thought that the improvement in “gamma” comes from the different angle of light coming through the door as you move around, and not that it’s a (nice) timed effect!

As for the voices, Indy and Sophia are quite good, and the rest of them have problem like they’re recorded badly, from distance, not directly (in lack of better wording). And yes, Ubermann sounds almost too comical for the general mood of the game, but it doesn’t take anything from the game. Actually, the biggest “strength” of the game (and the way I remember it) is that it mixes so well comedy and “serious” adventure (adventure in a basic sense). Only Broken Sword came close to the feel. I liked all the mini-games (even the fighting), and this is probably one of those adventures where mini-games naturally flow with the rest of the content.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 11 January 2019 01:07 PM

Reading this thread has prompted me to play the game, and in one day I reached Crete. That’s how good this game is,

Replaying it multiple times for this CPT has only cemented this game as possibly my favourite game of all time (even if I don’t necessarily call it the best).

Again, if I’m not mistaken, the Algiers “Omar’s location” puzzle is unique for this path,

It’s also on the Fists path, but in an easier form (the servant is already wearing a red fez).

First of all, it’s quite an “abstract puzzle”, and it hinges on player realizing that the servant is actually on an overhead map (it would be more appropriate if you exited the scene right after him in order to follow him (like in MI), and see him entering the left exit screen.

That’s what happened in my first and consequently all my other playthroughs: after realizing I had to follow him, I chased him as soon as he left. Outside of the shop, in the market screen, you can see him heading to an exit, and going after him opens the overhead map.

As for the red fez, the man says everyone is wearing red fezes, yet there’s only one red dot (not to object too much about this one, because it makes life easier).

Good point, but suspension of disbelief for the win. Tongue

Finally, the moment when Omar’s house becomes apparent, you need to be pixels away, even in the same street in an obvious servant’s field of view. I thought it would be more logical (and that’s what I kept repeating at first) that you need to “smart follow” him, meaning hiding behind corners and houses so he doesn’t notice you and keeps going to Omar.

The overhead map is too crude to make the puzzle more elaborate than it is, imo.

Actually, it doesn’t matter what you do, and the easiest way is to notice the spot where he entered the first time, and on a second try just wait near that house.

I just try to remain in his general area, clicking his current location every few seconds. The margin of error is pretty generous, imo.

In chasing the IQ points for my playthrough now, I’ve actually noticed something for the first time here:
Before giving him a red fez, you can in fact still see him and follow him. It’s harder because it’s a gray dot that’s just a bit larger than the other dots. For some reason I had never noticed this dot before, despite having played this game dozens of times.

I had much bigger “problems” with trivial stuff, like closing the crate in order to get the receipt (seriously, the hardest puzzle for me)

That type of puzzle is very sneaky. Monkey Island 2 had a similar one where you had to close a door to find the notice on the back of it, and Day of the Tentacle also has such a puzzle. Sneaky stuff, because it’s easy to miss… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So, it’s Saturday, January 12th and I’m a day late… Sorry about that.

Some end-of-section questions:

- How did you follow the servant? With or without the red fez?

- What did you think of Omar’s personality change in this path? It’s the only time he’s unhelpful and even outright hostile…

- What’s your favourite puzzle or minigame from this section?

- Now that we’ve played through the Fists, Team and Wits path, which of the three is your favourite, and why?

Now that you’ve reached the entrance to Atlantis for the third time, we can finally go in!

You have until Sunday, January 20th to finish the game!

Some notes for the coming section:

- There are three slightly different endings to the game, but only one is the good one.
Unless actively chasing the bad ones, I’ve ALWAYS had the good one myself. Curious to know if anyone winds up with one of the bad ones…

- Beware when you reach this puzzle, and save beforehand:

It is possible to get stuck in an unwinnable state here. I’ve only replicated it once myself and failed to do so now, but it IS possible. Even though it’s unlikely to occur, better safe than sorry!

Fun stuff:

How good is your French? Some of the street names in Monaco can be quite interesting:

Boulevard des Guerres des Étoiles means… Star Wars Boulevard Cool

(and Rue des Règles du Jeu means Game Rules Street)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Anyone who selects this game as their favorite of all time is showing good taste. It was my favorite on the Amiga and that platform had tons of adventure games.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top