• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Student project “Social Oddity”

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-01-05

PM

Hello!

My name is Linus Thorelli and I’m a game development student from Sweden.
I hope that this post, which qualifies as self-promotion, still follows the forum rules by being “not annoying” and actually perfectly “within reason”. Smile

I’d just like to share a link to a student project that we made in five weeks at the school FutureGames in Stockholm.
It’s a short little game, but I hope someone here might enjoy it!

Oh, and of course the game is completely free to download and play. I only want people to play it.

Game description

Social Oddity is a quirky point and click adventure game about overcoming social awkwardness.

The game revolves around the introverted Jamie who gets dragged to a nightclub by their well meaning friend Buddy in an attempt to get them to open up a little. Buddy runs off after telling Jamie to meet him in the VIP area later.

The problem is, he forgot to tell them the password to get in!
Thus, Jamie must overcome their fears and talk to other people.

Try to hold (somewhat) normal conversations by using phrases you hear others say in your quest for VIP access.

Any feedback or thoughts is appreciated! Even though we probably won’t develop this idea further.

Download link: https://linusth.itch.io/social-oddity

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi Linus, I gave your short game a try. I’ll be quite honest in that I liked the background art & the rendition of a couple of the characters but I didn’t take to the portrayal of the main character - but that’s just me!

I found the idea very entertaining - it reminded me a little of learning sword insults as in one of the Monkey Island games but used in a more real & modern context.
I think you achieved the idea of the protagonist being socially awkward as I found myself using phrases I didn’t think were so relevant which felt awkward to use!
I enjoyed what I played & think the idea could be expanded on but in-between other types of gameplay. The only thing that I found a problem was that not all of the phrases appear on the white notepad but underneath on the game background which aren’t easy to read or even spot in the first place!

Thumbs Up

Joined 2019-01-05

PM

Thanks for the feedback, and thank you for playing!

Yes the main character ended up being a bit hard to get to know, mostly because they only say stuff that they hear others say. We wanted to add some more animations for different reactions for the main character to add more personality, but we didn’t have the time sadly.

The sword fighting from Monkey Island was actually an inspiration when developing the game. Smile

We had a bunch of ideas for a longer game, but five weeks was not nearly enough time. We wanted at least one other area, and some way that the phrases would be reset. Like if someone spills something on the notebook which ruins the text.

Regarding phrases that appear beneath the notebook. That is most likely an issue with either your resolution or your aspect ratio for your monitor. Due to time constraints we cut some corners and did not make sure that all UI elements looks like they should for different resolutions.
The only resolution we know works like intended is 1920x1080.
Sloppy, but what can you do?  Tongue

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

LinusTh - 06 January 2019 12:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback, and thank you for playing!

Yes the main character ended up being a bit hard to get to know, mostly because they only say stuff that they hear others say. We wanted to add some more animations for different reactions for the main character to add more personality, but we didn’t have the time sadly.

You’ve misunderstood me on that one - the personality of the main character was fine & as you say. Why did you choose to make the main character physically look the way he does which is what I meant in the first place?

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

chrissie - 06 January 2019 02:14 PM

Why did you choose to make the main character physically look the way he does which is what I meant in the first place?

I haven’t played the game yet, but I suspect the main character being a ‘they’ rather than a ‘he’ may have something to do with it.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Phlebas - 07 January 2019 10:10 AM
chrissie - 06 January 2019 02:14 PM

Why did you choose to make the main character physically look the way he does which is what I meant in the first place?

I haven’t played the game yet, but I suspect the main character being a ‘they’ rather than a ‘he’ may have something to do with it.

I wasn’t very observant - that makes more sense!  Laughing

Joined 2019-01-05

PM

Phlebas - 07 January 2019 10:10 AM

That’s basically it. We wanted a character design that looked awkward in the situation and a bit odd. But also someone that could be interpreted as any gender. In the story it doesn’t matter either way.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top