• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2018 Aventure Wise

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I tallied up my games for 2018:

iOS - 19

PC - 1

PS4 - 15

PSV - 3

Best. Game I played - Detroit Became Human.

A great year!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I thought it was a weak year tbh. No outstanding games that I know of, although I have yet to play Return of the Obra Dinn.

The best I played was The Gardens Between, a very good game, but released any other year it would not particularly have stood out.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn, my game of the year and hands down one of the best and most satisfying experiences in recent memory. I also enjoyed Gorogoa a lot (as long as it lasted), Karma. Incarnation (very underrated I think), Unforeseen Incidents/Unavowed (solid, but I had higher expectations) and Amber: Journeys Beyond and Shivers as far as retro gaming goes. Think I played pretty much everything I wanted to, maybe with the exception of the new Larry and Hero-U as I’m having very mixed feelings about them.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

The 3 adventure games I remember playing this year were Batman Enemy Within, State of Mind and Pillars of the Earth. Loved them all.

My GOTY has to go to Batman though. It was excellent and one of the best games from Telltale. It’s tragic that Telltale is no more.

Runner up is State of Mind which I think is very underrated (especially on here which is surprising). Loved everything about the game except for Richard’s voice.

Games I’m looking forward to next year include Draugen, Walking Dead, Life is Strange 2, The Blind Prophet (this one looks great. Love the art style) and of course Beautiful Desolation.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn was amazing, Forgotton Anne was wonderful, and though it’s a bit divisive I really enjoyed The Council myself. A bit below those three imo, Detective Gallo was also quite good.
On a lower tier, The Fall Part 2: Unbound, Orwell: Ignorance is Bliss and Chuchel were about what I expected them to be.

I’d say it was a good year for adventure games.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Pretty average year, nuthing was really booming at least with me, to be added to my top adventures of all, only three title were good enough:-

Unavowed - 4,5/5
Unforeseen Incidents - 4,5/5
Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Dry - 4,5/5

Earthworms - 4/5
The Pillars of the Earth - 4/5
Detective Gallo - 3,5/5
The Sexy Brutale - 3,5/5
Lamplight City - 3,5/5
Tango - 3/5
Tardy - 3/5
Chuchel - 3/5
TheNightfall - 3/5
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - 3/5
State of Mind 3/5
The Red Strings Club 3/5
Repentant 2,5/5
Snail Trek 2/5

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Doom - 24 December 2018 11:27 PM

Return of the Obra Dinn, my game of the year and hands down one of the best and most satisfying experiences in recent memory.

Thank God for that, seeing these lists made me realize what a disappointing year it was for 1st person adventures. If it was not for Obra Dinn I would have said the whole FP AG scene was dead!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Heard so much about Obra Dinn lately. Literally every gaming site, every news site and every review are saying it’s one of the best games released this year. They all say it’s right up there with RDR2 as one of the top 5 or top 10 games of 2018 and some even say it’s the overall game of the year, even beating AAA titles such as RDR. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an adventure game with this much praise.

Soooo I guess I’m gonna have to buy it and see for myself

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

This felt like an extremely weak year to me. Before checking my list, I couldn’t even remember a new game I’d really liked apart from Return of the Obra Dinn. Maybe I just didn’t play the right games?

First time playthroughs

The Room: Old Sins: I know I liked it, but I literally can’t remember anything about it. 4/5
Bring You Home: From the people who made my beloved Love You To Bits. Not nearly as inventive or good. 3/5
CHUCHEL: Meh. Cute, I guess, but felt very shallow. 3/5
Orwell: Ignorance Is Strength: A fine game. 3.5/5
Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way: OK game, but could have been so much more. 3/5
TimeQuest: Really not a new game, but that was my first time playing it. It was fine, but I wanted to love it so much more than I actually did. 3/5
XING: The Land Beyond: Everything that Myst V wanted (and failed) to be. Loved it. 4.5/5
Unforeseen Incidents: Fine, if unmemorable. 3.5/5
Danganronpa V3: Started off very strong, but in the end it’s still Danganronpa, warts and all. At least it led me to writing the best thing I wrote on these forums this year. 3.5/5
Unavowed: Good, but short of greatness because of the weak gameplay. 3.5/5
The Pillars of the Earth, books 2-3: I finally finished this. I liked it a lot, and plan to read the book. 4/5
Return of the Obra Dinn: Brilliant game. 4/5

Replays

Goetia: 4/5
Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice: 4/5
Ghost Trick: 4.5/5
Ace Attorney Investigations 1: 3/5 (I started replaying the second one after that, but it was so tedious that I gave up halfway through.)
Cleopatra, A Queen’s Destiny: 3/5
Dracula 3: 4/5
Voyage: 4/5
Destination: Treasure Island: 2.5/5
Sam & Max Save the World: I wanted to replay the whole series, including the LucasArts one. I ended up replaying only the first Telltale season, for some reason. It’s still pretty good! 3.5/5
The Turing Test: 3.5/5
Dune: I’ll never get tired of this game. And, after so many replays, I still managed to discover new sietches. First time I got the full map! 4/5
The Secrets of Da Vinci: 4/5 (I really was in a Kheops mood this year, and I’m not sorry about it!)
Zork: Grand Inquisitor: I’ll never understand why some people love this game so much, but it’s definitely good! 3.5/5
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Not sure why I wanted to replay this. I want those hours back. 2.5/5

Casual Games

Beyond: Light Advent: 3.5/5
Lost Lands 4: The Wanderer: 3.5/5
Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord: 2.5/5
Lost Lands 5: Ice Spell: 3.5/5

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Very useful post Kuru, thanks, pointed out some games i have had ignored as like XING!

as for S&M, season 2, man (IMO) is the best thing ttg ever made, especially Chapter 2.

i havent posted anything but the games i played from 2018, i might have missed the (or forgotten) to add the replays, and older games than this fading year. anyways, i will do but it later.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I have to agree that 2018 was pretty weak/mediocre year, if we take a look what 2017 was and what 2019 will be.

Lots of games were postponed to 2019.

There was only handful of interesting ones released this year and my top 5 might look something like this:

- Unavowed
- Unforeseen Incidents
- Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don`t Dry
- Pillars of the Earth
- State of Mind

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

I can see The Pillars of the Earth being overlooked this year, but I found it quite a remarkable piece of work. It didn’t innovate like Obra Dinn or Unavowed did, but for well-crafted character-driven storytelling it was really great.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I PL

Advie - 25 December 2018 02:39 PM

Pretty average year, nuthing was really booming at least with me, to be added to my top adventures of all, only three title were good enough:-

Unavowed - 4,5/5
Unforeseen Incidents - 4,5/5
Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Dry - 4,5/5

Earthworms - 4/5
The Pillars of the Earth - 4/5
Detective Gallo - 3,5/5
The Sexy Brutale - 3,5/5
Lamplight City - 3,5/5
Tango - 3/5
Tardy - 3/5
Chuchel - 3/5
TheNightfall - 3/5
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - 3/5
State of Mind 3/5
The Red Strings Club 3/5
Repentant 2,5/5
Snail Trek 2/5

Of the games I played I don’t disagree with the scores except for Lamplight City which needs another point for the attention to detail, wonderful characters & replayability!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 27 December 2018 03:57 PM

Of the games I played I don’t disagree with the scores except for Lamplight City which needs another point for the attention to detail, wonderful characters & replayability!

i can easily agree, if the impact it had on me playing it had been maintained thru until the end, but still i can go somewhere in between, easily as i said giving it half a point and yet feeling comfortable Smile

have you played Repentant? its a sequel to The Kite, which i know you already had played.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

awoma - 27 December 2018 03:06 PM

I can see The Pillars of the Earth being overlooked this year, but I found it quite a remarkable piece of work. It didn’t innovate like Obra Dinn or Unavowed did, but for well-crafted character-driven storytelling it was really great.

Agree with this. And I thought the “look” mechanic in Pillars was a good, fresh innovation and something I hope new games will take up.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

The Room: Old Sins: Totally meaningless puzzles game 3/5
Detective Gallo Totally meaningless inventory/talking game 2/5
CHUCHEL Nice, funny game 3.5/5
Lamplight City This was average. It wanted to be a GK game without the quality writing or voice cast and puzzles were non-existent 2.5/5
Miazma or the Devil’s Stone Not as good as Yoormurjak’s Ring but still pretty good. I enjoyed it 4/5
The Shapeshifting Detective Lovely, not many puzzles but great atmosphere 3.5/5
Orwell: Ignorance Is Strength: Great game 4.5/5
Unforeseen Incidents: Pretty good 3/5
Unavowed: Nice game, good art and music 3.5/5
The Pillars of the Earth Super game 4/5
Another Sight This was just awful, boring platforming, very weak story and none of it even made sense 2/5
Ghost of a Tale Fantastic adventure stealth game. Game of the year 5/5
Far: Lone Sails Excellent silent journey through the wasteland, short game but unique premise 4/5
State of Mind Tedious, too much talking and running around with little substance 2.5/5

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top